• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
When the Grande Partenza from Budapest was unveiled, back in 2019, the world was a very different place. Even the Grande Partenza itself was different, as it was planned to start with an ITT in Budapest, which has now been moved to stage 2. Regardless, after two years it seems we will finally manage to go to Hungary, and then have a rest day to get to Sicily. From there, I can only describe the overall route as very disappointing. There are some good stages here and there of course, as I believe it is statistically impossible to design 21 consecutive bad Giro stages, but this is definitely the wrong direction, especially after an already mediocre route in 2021, coming from two pretty good ones. A shame. It seems more and more that what really governs the Giro are the whims of whichever politician/local administrator is willing to pay for a stage, and the organizers are there only to connect point A with point B on the map. Sometimes they mess up even that, as two stages have been entirely redesigned after the presentation to an extent that makes you doubt if the originally presented version was ever really considered feasible at all, or if it was just a placeholder. Moreover, the climbs categorization has by now reached a level of nonsense that shouldn’t even be possible. In any case, the biggest problem of this route is obviously the lack of time trialling, with the lowest amount of TTing km in recent times, as well as the insufficient length of most stages, and their overall quality as well, even if as I said there are a few really good ones. Whatever. Luckily (or, well, sadly) this is absolutely not the worst GT route of this year :D so let’s hope we are going to get a good spectacle. The field seems to be pretty good and there is more than enough terrain to put on a show. Hopefully the riders want to race this year and we actually see the Fedaia…

BEST thread os the year!!
days of reading material..
thank's 1 more time..

We are going overboard a little bit with the criticism of the route. Maybe because we have been used to a true queen stage that maybe is not happening now. Additionally, the TT kilometers are too low and some don't like that. Having said that, if you look at the last week it is really murderous. Maybe individually there is not a single queen stage but together it looks very hard. We'll see.

We are going overboard a little bit with the criticism of the route. Maybe because we have been used to a true queen stage that maybe is not happening now. Additionally, the TT kilometers are too low and some don't like that. Having said that, if you look at the last week it is really murderous. Maybe individually there is not a single queen stage but together it looks very hard. We'll see.
Do you think there is any recent Giro route that this one is better than, or is this just a complaint about the tone in the thread?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Do you think there is any recent Giro route that this one is better than, or is this just a complaint about the tone in the thread?
Based on the opinions I remember, this one being the first one where there is some (or a lot) discontent about the route. I can maybe go to 8-9 years of memory at this moment.
The funny thing is that is some occasions the queen stages have been modified a lot in some of those editions just because of the weather. And the resulting stage was nowhere near what it was supposed to be. Like last year. The problem that I had with those editions is that the change of one single stage made a big difference on the route.

Having said that, if you look at this year the last segment from Saturday to Sunday there is only one flat stage. I know the previous 3-4 stages suck but the following stretch looks promising.

It's on a similar level as 2017, the only think that Giro had going for him were the Bormio stage and the amount of kms of ITT that forced the riders to attack on the mountain stages. Overall it reminds e a lot of the 2014 Giro.

2015 Tour de France w/o cobbles and a worse queen stage.
Comparing a Giro route to a Tour route?

triple-h-disgusted.gif

It's a perfect route for acting all superior on a forum and whinging like a ***.
I'm all tingly excited about the race. I'm confident it'll be the best gt of the year. A good field. An interesting dynamic with Carapaz as big favourite, everyone trying to take him down as opposed to him sneaking the win in 2019. Nibali to surprise and Valverde to not surprise anyone.

And every criticism can be put down to "look at them couch potatoes whining again".

This route hardly gets criticized for not being the 21 most favorite designs from the Stage Design thread. Most of the criticism are in fact really basic and warranted. And little is over the top.

Yes. Well, I read it a couple of days ago, so I might be completely off, lemme go check it..

" Here they will start the biggest climb of the day, perhaps the hardest of the whole race: Kolovrat (GPM1, 10.3 km at 9.2%)"
alright I did write "perhaps"
For Blockhaus I wrote that it has a strong case for being the hardest...
That's what I get for not writing the whole preview in one day.
The Blockhaus is the hardest. Kolovrat second.

TRENDING THREADS