• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? Pre-race poll.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2022 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hart has been removed from the start list.

Somehow, I've convinced myself that this is the other year in his career when Simon Yates, isn't Simon Yates. And even more dreamily, would love to see him and Landa battling it out in the best GT in years.

Also not sure why Bardet isn't more favoured after his showing in The Tour of The Alps. Though i don't know how many TT Kms there in the Giro this year?
Bardet has a history of getting one long strong peak during the season in the years he was highly competitive in the Tour de France.

He used to arrive strong at the Dauphine already and even improve on that for the Tour. Both in 2016 & 2017, while in 2015 he had the heat stroke.

So I agree with you. While many winners of Trentino / ToA are known to have peaked too early, I would consider Bardet's win as a hint for a good performance at the corsa Rosa.

One thing, because I can see a lot of comments about Landa not being consistent enough. Actually he is one of the most consistent GC riders when it comes to form alone. Now luck, crushes and other mishaps are another thing and also an important part of GTs.

I don't want to hype him as a favourite, he's definitely not one but I do think he's overall level in the mountains is higher than any other contender bar Carapaz (MAL and Yates are the riders truly up and down with their level on the big mountain stages).

*Carapaz, Yates
****Almeida, MAL
***Landa
**Buchman, Dumoulin
*Kelderman

My pick in bold. Yates blew up in 2018 trying to get enough cushion against the two best GC riders in the world. This year, the 2+ best riders in the world are not here. He just dropped Roglic like a stone putting out Pogi level numbers. I think he’ll hold it together and win.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
If Carapaz is anywhere near his 2019 form, or even his 2021 TdF form, it's going to be difficult to beat him.

Would love to see Bardet on the podium but I don't think he can sustain a full 3 week GT. MAL is the wildcard for me.

I'd also like to see a complete unknown or long-shot on the podium. The Giro is good for that these days...

* * * * * - Carapaz
* * * * - Yates, Almeida
* * * - Bardet, Lopez, Landa
* * - Skjelmose Jensen, Kelderman, Foss
* - Bilbao, Attila Valter,

Carapaz has the legs and a strong team.
As portuguese i hope João Almeida can win it, but not quite sure UAE has the best lineup for a race like this, and obviously he has to improve his positioning .
Yates...well...he can go from 8 to 80...never know what to expect. Same with lopea.
Bora has a sttong team, but who is the leader?
Landa...i'm a big fan. Lets see if he can escape falls. Bilbao can be a good outsider.

I'm looking fowrard to see how Skjelmose Jensen, Foss, Valter, Gall, Vansevenant and Arensman can perform

* * * * * - Carapaz
* * * * - Yates, Almeida
* * * - Bardet, Lopez, Landa
* * - Skjelmose Jensen, Kelderman, Foss
* - Bilbao, Attila Valter,

Carapaz has the legs and a strong team.
As portuguese i hope João Almeida can win it, but not quite sure UAE has the best lineup for a race like this, and obviously he has to improve his positioning .
Yates...well...he can go from 8 to 80...never know what to expect. Same with lopea.
Bora has a sttong team, but who is the leader?
Landa...i'm a big fan. Lets see if he can escape falls. Bilbao can be a good outsider.

I'm looking fowrard to see how Skjelmose Jensen, Foss, Valter, Gall, Vansevenant and Arensman can perform

Almeida for his positioning. This is the reason why Oliveira and Costa do Giro for help him with that.

I’d like to see some redemption for MAL after last year. I know he shouldn’t have acted that way but my hope is that he wants to redeem himself and I think he has the abilities to win this.

I’m still not sure about Carapaz. I’ve always felt he isn’t as consistent as it seems. Probably still my pick though.

• Wow
Doesn‘t Landa crash out of races very often, get sick, or have other bad luck? I fear something similar will happen in this Giro.

He seems to be quite popular, actually. People really hype him, sometimes… ;)

The thing I don‘t understand, is (by the way): why does Landa have a 6% body fat body, and a 12-18% body fat face? When I see photos showing just his face, I always wonder how this can be a world class athlete in cycling up mountain roads…

• Wow
Doesn‘t Landa crash out of races very often, get sick, or have other bad luck? I fear something similar will happen in this Giro.

He seems to be quite popular, actually. People really hype him, sometimes… ;)

The thing I don‘t understand, is (by the way): why does Landa have a 6% body fat body, and a 12-18% body fat face? When I see photos showing just his face, I always wonder how this can be a world class athlete in cycling up mountain roads…

16 GT starts
6 GT top-10s
3 GT DNFs

I think he doesn’t crash That often. But he does have his fair share of bad luck, is just not an allround rider and has suffered from having better team mates multiple times.

But this route you can only get so much advantage over being an allrounder and the best allrounders are not participating. Plus he should be better climbing wise than Bilbao.

Wide open field TBH. I like it :hearteyecat:
If I have to pick one, I'd say Carapaz, but then again- if something goes wrong during the early stages, then is game over.

Apart from that, I would love to see Landa doing great in this Giro -perhaps stage wins and with some good luck on his side:pensive: maybe a podium place.

I voted Carapaz. He races hard. When he attacks, it's all in (even when he's sneaky, as in the mountain stage with Pog and Vingo at the TDF last year, when he feigned weakness and then launched a surprise attack late, albeit unsuccessfully). If he's at his best, I don't see another rider challenging him all 3 weeks. But it would be great if one or more of the other contenders put up a good challenge. Almeida is interesting. Hope he can surprise to the upside (not sure how much of a surprise it would be). If Yates can hold form all 3 weeks, he could be the guy.

TRENDING THREADS