• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? Pre-race poll.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2022 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kelderman is underestimated in my opinion.
Togheter with Carapaz he's the only of the 2021 TDF's top-5 to be at Giro's start !

This year he has not raced so much but can be that he did this to be really focused on the Giro.
In the last three grand tours he has really constant high level performances: 7th (vuelta 19) - 3rd (Giro 20) - 5th (Tour 21).
He can be one of the podium favourites, and if someone like Carapaz or MAL will have problems maybe also something more than the podium.

Reactions: Sandisfan

But Contador believes another name could be in contention for victory: Mathieu van der Poel (Alpecin-Fenix). The Dutchman is famed for his explosive one-day prowess but is yet to finish a Grand Tour.
“It's always a game of chance,” said Contador.
“But I think Joao Almeida, Richard Carapaz and I think Mathieu Van der Poel will be in contention for the top three places in the standings, although I don't know the order but I think the three of them have a little bit more chance than the rest.”

Kelderman is underestimated in my opinion. [...]

This year he has not raced so much but can be that he did this to be really focused on the Giro.

in parts, yes, but also because he crashed out of Valenciana and LBL. Initially he was supposed to do the Tour of the Alps as well, but had to postpone his altitude camp before because he fell sick, and therefor couldn't do the race.

So it's not like he had a perfect spring at all. And while he has of course been strong in the past, there's always the high likeliness that something will go wrong again.

I'm trying to get some arguments to put into context Alberto's comments, but even as a VDP die-hard fan I can't come up with any. But if he finishes on the podium, I guess I will eat my shoes.

Maybe Alberto has some insider info and we are in for a Etna eruption, a Blockhaus strike, an end of the world blizzard for the third week or, god forbides, some disrupting world war event after we leave Hungary.

Is he not talking about stage 1? Carapaz and Yates could contend I suppose.
Unless he is being taken out of context, doesn’t sound like it.

Grand Tour racing returns on Friday with the Giro d’Italia as the likes of Richard Carapaz (Ineos Grenadiers), Joao Almeida (UAE Team Emirates) and Simon Yates (BikeExchange – Jayco) battle it out for pink.
But Contador believes another name could be in contention for victory: Mathieu van der Poel (Alpecin-Fenix). The Dutchman is famed for his explosive one-day prowess but is yet to finish a Grand Tour.
“But I think Joao Almeida, Richard Carapaz and I think Mathieu Van der Poel will be in contention for the top three places in the standings, although I don't know the order but I think the three of them have a little bit more chance than the rest.”
He continued: “I expect to see a lot of surprises in this year's edition. From my experience in the race, the most important thing is to be a regular competitor.
“It's not necessary to be the best, but to not fail and to be regular, especially in the mountain stages. If you do that, you're already assured of a good place in the general classification. If you make a mistake in the Giro, you lose minutes, not tenths or seconds in the classification.

Unless he is being taken out of context, doesn’t sound like it.

Grand Tour racing returns on Friday with the Giro d’Italia as the likes of Richard Carapaz (Ineos Grenadiers), Joao Almeida (UAE Team Emirates) and Simon Yates (BikeExchange – Jayco) battle it out for pink.
He continued: “I expect to see a lot of surprises in this year's edition. From my experience in the race, the most important thing is to be a regular competitor.
“It's not necessary to be the best, but to not fail and to be regular, especially in the mountain stages. If you do that, you're already assured of a good place in the general classification. If you make a mistake in the Giro, you lose minutes, not tenths or seconds in the classification.

I’m assuming it was taken out of context / lost in translation / article badly written. MvdP is a great guy, but no one in their right mind would put him as a podium contender for the Giro.

Kelderman is underestimated in my opinion.
Togheter with Carapaz he's the only of the 2021 TDF's top-5 to be at Giro's start !

In the last three grand tours he has really constant high level performances: 7th (vuelta 19) - 3rd (Giro 20) - 5th (Tour 21).
He can be one of the podium favourites, and if someone like Carapaz or MAL will have problems maybe also something more than the podium.
the thing about Kelderman is he'll be there but he'll never look like winning. Not even in the Giro he could've won did he look like winning. As soon as he was in the lead he immediately faltered.

TRENDING THREADS