• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? Second rest day poll.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2022 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have to admit Almeida was very strong at Blockhaus, and Bardet couldnt put time on him. Anyway I still think best level Bardet can show is quite better Almeida can.

They are both on par atm with the tendency to see in the near future Almeida being stronger then Bardet. The potential growth as a rider in Almeida is much higher then in Bardet.
Absolute nonsense saying that the best Bardet is quite better than the best Almeida! The fact that you want him to be much better than Almeida doesn't make it real my friend.

Can Bardet win this Giro? yes he can. Can Almeida win this Giro? yes he can. BTW yesterday Almeida was on survival mode as he was having a bad day, let's see in the next mountain stages what will happen if he is on a good/average day.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Bardet has 12 GT and Almeida only 3 GT
Almeida with only 2 GT completed has a 4th and 6th final GC, probably Almeida will have better GC results than Bardet by the time he reaches 12 GT in his career
If Bardet is 31 and Almeida is 23 i don't need to say anything else regarding potential growth right? If a 23 years old rider is not so young...
But the results from both riders in the next stages will speak way better than anything else.
As a final note i'm a fan of Bardet, one of my favourite riders in the bunch!

I voted Carapaz just based on GC consistency, but rooting for Bardet and Landa. I think the thing we still have yet to see (and I sure hope we do) is how each of the 5 will fare when they “race” two Cat 1 climbs and not just the finale. I know sometimes we never get much of that, but as many here have pointed out, the top guys are so evenly matched they may realize they have to make the race hard from farther out to make a difference. I don’t mean an Andy-type solo but perhaps Ineos or Bora setting a hard pace on the penultimate climb. Yesterday all the contenders and their teams were apparently content to just wait for the finale. Which isn’t surprising in the 1st half of a GT.

Last edited:
I 100% disagree with the notion that significant time gaps will mostly appear on stage 19 and 20 (why on earth 19 but not 16 and 17, that's such an odd prediction) but admittedly it's true there's a very good possibility that barring crashes and time bonifications the gaps between the 5 biggest favorites right now will be the exact same on the next rest day. I feel like you have to take into consideration that this giro can really be won in the final week alone (even more so than usually) hence this will be a lot about getting your shape right at the exact right moment. Maybe it also means we should be a bit more careful about someone currently off the radar like Buchmann.

I 100% disagree with the notion that significant time gaps will mostly appear on stage 19 and 20 (why on earth 19 but not 16 and 17, that's such an odd prediction) but admittedly it's true there's a very good possibility that barring crashes and time bonifications the gaps between the 5 biggest favorites right now will be the exact same on the next rest day. I feel like you have to take into consideration that this giro can really be won in the final week alone (even more so than usually) hence this will be a lot about getting your shape right at the exact right moment. Maybe it also means we should be a bit more careful about someone currently off the radar like Nibali.

I 100% disagree with the notion that significant time gaps will mostly appear on stage 19 and 20 (why on earth 19 but not 16 and 17, that's such an odd prediction) but admittedly it's true there's a very good possibility that barring crashes and time bonifications the gaps between the 5 biggest favorites right now will be the exact same on the next rest day. I feel like you have to take into consideration that this giro can really be won in the final week alone (even more so than usually) hence this will be a lot about getting your shape right at the exact right moment. Maybe it also means we should be a bit more careful about someone currently off the radar like Buchmann.
Yes. As everyone has already said, it really is a brilliant route. A route for someone to come in cold and heat up in the 3rd week. A route for someone with endurance. A route for someone with guile, invention, creativity and souplesse. A route for the greatest rider. It goes without saying: Nibali.

Carapaz looks good and has good shot at winning... but is his team REALLY that much better than everyone else?

Will he be relying on 37 year old Porte, who is still decent, to be very strong in the third week? I have my doubts.

Sivakov has struggled with consistency and is no sure thing either.

Narvaez, Tullett and Castro not scaring anyone.

Eh, I say he is in trouble if he isnt that much better of a climber than Landa and Bardet. Who both looks to be in great form atm.

Hindley and Buchmann looking pretty good for Bora. Kämna has had a bit of free role so far but both him and Kelderman could be used for domestic duties, if Hindley has a shot at being on the podium. Strong team.

Almeida is a fighter, who defends himself very well. Slow and steady might just win the race, while the others tire themselves out trying to attack each other.

Two interesting weeks of racing coming up.

Tough call, now, wonderfully. I'm on the fence in many places. I switched my vote from Carapaz to Almeida, but it's easy to see that any of a half dozen guys can still win it all. Why did I go with Almeida? Partly heart over head, but there's still a time trial left. Bardet seems to have improved his TTing in the past year or so, or maybe that's just an illusion, but he could well take the whole thing, too. France would rejoice, as would I, vicariously. Super impressed by Hindley. His time-trialing was his Achilles heel in the Giro when TGH won. But Hindley is young and is likely still improving. And Landisimo could possibly be reborn (still, with a time trial to go, not sure what would happen there). Landa looked the strongest to me on stage 9. Now that I've switched my vote, it's cleared the way for Carapaz to dominate everyone. My apologies for the jinx.

Since when a 23-year-old rider is "not so young"? Jeepers, I'm 35 years old, what does that make of me, geriatric?
I am 44..
I mean that he is not so young as Evenepoel, for example. With his age Quintana was second at le Tour, and it was his best result with his Giro and Vuelta. Almeida is going to be 22 this summer, He was 4th in his fiorst Gjijro, very good result instead the bad level. But he didnt improve too much later, he was even 6th, so I dont have so clear he is going to improve a lot his level this year. He can, but he has to show that, Froome the begining Bardet is more favourite,,and in Blockhaus we see how Bardet was stronger despite the same time.

• Wow
Reactions: noob
Watching Juan Pedro Lopez climb Blockhaus with his checkup after touching wheels and the Long Breakaway (in the legs with his nose in the wind for hours while those in contention stayed out of the wind and had a much easier rides) ,just days before, I think he will be in the top ten at the end of the Giro. With this, his first Giro in GC contention, ( I know it was a gift win, as it were) he did very well to limit his losses. With having come to a stop then start again and the adrenaline rush and probably going into the red with a bit of a panic then settling down he showed some chops, I bet with the loss of momentum plus the bit of panic he probably finished about 5 to 15 seconds later than he probably would have finished. If he is really that good of a climber and he gets this rest day and a few easier days he I don't think he will fall away from the top, caveat echelons etc., from the leaders by much and could surprise. I voted originally for Carapaz then went with Kelderman, now with Almeida, but wanted to vote for Landisimo and Angel Lopez but with many almost guys who look good and being a fan of underdogs I would never have known of Juan Pedro before this Giro and I am impressed but as we have seen unknown leaders usually fall back by hours after these type of exploits..... But I think this guy is different I doubt he falls out of the top 20 if he stays wheels down and healthy. :)

Last edited:
I am 44..
I mean that he is not so young as Evenepoel, for example. With his age Quintana was second at le Tour, and it was his best result with his Giro and Vuelta. Almeida is going to be 22 this summer, He was 4th in his fiorst Gjijro, very good result instead the bad level. But he didnt improve too much later, he was even 6th, so I dont have so clear he is going to improve a lot his level this year. He can, but he has to show that, Froome the begining Bardet is more favourite,,and in Blockhaus we see how Bardet was stronger despite the same time.

not only Almeida but all of them have to show they have what it takes in the road. I respect your opinion as I respect everybody else. That’s why life is wonderful, it would be very sad and gray if we all thought the same. That being said imo you make some nonsense arguments regarding Bardet vs Almeida. It’s obvious that at this level of riders (2 cat GC riders) they are so equals that at any given day anyone can win, it will depend on several factors like endurance, defending themselves when they have a bad day, the strength of their teams, the positioning in the bunch, the team tactics and much more.
Regarding Bardet being stronger than Almeida at Blockhaus, maybe we can consider that but could they left Almeida behind? No they didn’t, I counted at least 3 times when Almeida was able to close the gap all by himself only by maintaining his pace. Would it be possible for him to close those gaps if Landa, Bardet and Carapaz worked together? Probably not but would it be possible for 1 of the 3 front riders blew up if the change of pace continued? Yes! Maybe all the 3 even and what then? Well Diesel Almeida would pass them with Hindley and Pozzovivo to sprint for the stage and probably gaining time to Landa, Carapaz and Bardet. It’s impossible even if you are a strong and natural climber to change pace all the time, normally you do a short speed burst and then you chose a steady pace and in that department young Almeida already excels. No one knows what comes ahead, maybe Almeida will crack, as in 2020 Giro at Stelvio, maybe he won’t, maybe he can reach 3rd week stronger like in the previous Giro of 2021, when he gained time to all of them, Bernal included, or without the final TT only losing time to Bernal (1 second) and to Caruso (11 seconds) and gaining time to all of the remaining riders. To end a very long post I think that atm Bardet has better descending ability and more punch in high mountains stages, and perhaps better positioning but at everything else Almeida is already a better rider for a GT regarding GC.

Watching Juan Pedro Lopez climb Blockhaus with his checkup after touching wheels and the Long Breakaway (in the legs with his nose in the wind for hours while those in contention stayed out of the wind and had a much easier rides) ,just days before, I think he will be in the top ten at the end of the Giro. With this, his first Giro in GC contention, ( I know it was a gift win, as it were) he did very well to limit his losses. With having come to a stop then start again and the adrenaline rush and probably going into the red with a bit of a panic then settling down he showed some chops, I bet with the loss of momentum plus the bit of panic he probably finished about 5 to 15 seconds later than he probably would have finished. If he is really that good of a climber and he gets this rest day and a few easier days he I don't think he will fall away from the top, caveat echelons etc., from the leaders by much and could surprise. I voted originally for Carapaz then went with Kelderman, now with Almeida, but wanted to vote for Landisimo and Angel Lopez but with many almost guys who look good and being a fan of underdogs I would never have know of Juan Pedro before this Giro and I am impressed but as we have seen unknown leaders usually fall back by hours after these type of exploits..... But I think this guy is different I doubt he falls out of the top 20 if he stays wheels down and healthy. :)

agree! I bet he will be inside top 10 at the end of this giro as far as he have the endurance and stamina to ride for 3 weeks at the highest level. He has something special with him.

Reactions: noob
The Spanish guy from Trek, Juan Pedro Lopez, is a good climber and a good GT rider, who has the endurance you need for three weeks. He has been the race leader now for quite some time, which will give him a lot of motivation.

On Blockhaus, he lost some time, I know. But maybe he surprises us, and will keep his lead?

Sunday afternoon in seven days, the Giro is over. Maybe Juan Pedro Lopez keeps his race lead until the end? He just has to follow the best in the mountains. In the final TT then, the pink jersey could give him wings.

What do you think? Is Juan Pedro Lopez capable of winning the Giro 2022, or is it too early for him?

Before the race, Lopez and Trek in general were clear outsiders. Now, from day to day, he and his team get stronger. I think it‘s not impossible any more that JPL wins the final GC…

TRENDING THREADS