• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2022 Tour de France Start List

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What's with the laughing emoji? His level increased a lot in May and June compared to the last few years. I'm not saying he will win the Tour or be able to do GC but name me an Israel rider not in the team who would improve their team if switched with Froome.

Plus IPT have to keep some of their stronger riders out the TDF to send to Austria and Romania to pick up points as there is as only Fuglsang and Woods are really capable of winning a stage so there is a risk they get 0 UCI points from the TDF.

In Itzulia 2021, Roglic beat Pogacar by nearly 30 seconds in the opening ITT. Pog had no path to victory unless he dropped Roglic (most likely in a toe-to-toe battle on the final climb). So the final stage is a bit misleading, i.e. Pog was in a bit of trouble before that.

By & large the underrating of Primoz Roglic is a regular occurrence. The comments here are mild as well compared to what's being posted & said elsewhere. I mean the Dauphiné is being used to portray Roglic as a has-been & Vingegaard as way better. Is this rational? I don't think so. But it's similar to the conversations last summer, i.e. for example when certain Slovenians themselves wanted Roglic to give the ITT spot in the Olympics to Pogacar because he was 'past it' after the road race, or when people genuinely believed Enric Mas was stronger than Roglic uphill in the Vuelta (Contador for example). Or during the Covadonga stage, many expected Bernal to blow Roglic off his wheel on the final climb.

Etc. etc.

The truth is Roglic is not a normal predictable rider. So most of the visual clues & data people rely upon to make the judgement "Vingegaard > Roglic" don't actually apply because he's disproven such theories again, again & again in his career.

I mean if I'm Pogacar in the TdF, I wouldn't even fall for the Vingegaard bait (because Pog is better than Jonas in the ITT), I'd just stick to Roglic like glue & then attack him. And I suspect that's what we'll see.

To be fair, Mas crashed the day before they hit the big mountains in week 3 and wasn’t firing along all cylinders. That’s not saying he would’ve outclimbed Roglic, but he was riding well and likely would’ve shown more than he was able to. That seems to be a theme with him this year as well. He’s looked in the best form of his life but hasn’t been able to stay upright to gain anything from it.

Even Van Aert will have to work for Roglic, if needed. Which he will do in full, even if this mortgages his chances of a stage win and the green jersey. Unfortunately, we have often seen in the past that Roglic is not willing to help a teammate. Certainly not in full and for longer than a few minutes
Here we go again. Team leader not helping others... And he didn't help WvA at the WC 2020, what was he thinking. :tearsofjoy:

Even Van Aert will have to work for Roglic, if needed. Which he will do in full, even if this mortgages his chances of a stage win and the green jersey. Unfortunately, we have often seen in the past that Roglic is not willing to help a teammate. Certainly not in full and for longer than a few minutes
I think we've clearly seen over and over that Jumbo has tried to balance WVA's ambitions with the team ambitions. Last year done exceptionally well, but while I do think that WVA will help as he always has, he also is VERY focused on his own ambitions. I don't have the impression at all that it's as selfless as you describe with "mortgage his chances of a stage win..."

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan and acm
Bevin probably. That's only one. But they're once again keeping him home to get points.

Good point, Bevin certainly would have deserved a TdF spot.

I‘m sure Israel are very happy about his performances since 2021, and they will reward him with a Vuelta spot.

He had a great spring, and a fresh build-up to Vuelta will do him good. Results-wise, he didn‘t look too sharp in the TdS any more, so he could benefit from a low-profile preparation for the autumn races.

Impressive rider, good on all terrains - and a surprisingly good climber! :)

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS