• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2022 Tour de France Start List

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Caruso has had pretty good form all year, certainly better than anything he showed pre-Giro last year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a top-5.
Lets see but he certainly has a very good constitution for GTs (as for example Kruijswijk). He finished 11th at the TdF 2017 and 10th 2020 already. And there his form was at least two levels below this year in week long stage races. So yes, agree, I think he will be good and even better than his already high level in the shorter race over 3 weeks. But that said, Pog, Rog, Vingegaard, Thomas I would intuitively rate higher. Martinez, O'Connor, Vlasov, Mas in his "basket".

Reactions: Sandisfan
FWBfxm2WIAEKeyK

Wright said Fred.

Lets see but he certainly has a very good constitution for GTs (as for example Kruijswijk). He finished 11th at the TdF 2017 and 10th 2020 already. And there his form was at least two levels below this year in week long stage races. So yes, agree, I think he will be good and even better than his already high level in the shorter race over 3 weeks. But that said, Pog, Rog, Vingegaard, Thomas I would intuitively rate higher. Martinez, O'Connor, Vlasov, Mas in his "basket".
It also has to be said that in 2020 he also worked as a superdomestique for Landa.

[QUOTE="BigCoward, post: 2716540, member: 128130"

That being said you can get Caruso at 175/1 which seems absurdly generous.
[/QUOTE]

Especially with Covid. it wouldn’t be completely unreasonable to see the GC battle turned completely upside down between Covid, bad luck crashes and other illnesses. There is enough of a chance where 175/1 looks good for Caruso and other riders with similar odds.

Quite a lot of additions/removals today, most notably not riding anymore;

Van Baarle
Trentin
Lampaert
Cavagna
Senechal
Chaves
Padun
Simmons
Verona
Bakelants
Vermeersch, G

Have joined the circus;

Rowe
Powless
Hofstetter
Walscheid
Arabanu
Garcia Cortina
Mozzato
Skujins
Oss
Ellisonde
Dombrowski

Can't imagine Rowe for Van Baarle is anything other than a forced change, perhaps Covid? They and UAE are looking a bit thinner for the cobbled/crosswind stages, but maybe it doesn't matter so much given their team leaders?

Van Baarle
Trentin
Lampaert
Cavagna
Senechal
Chaves
Padun
Simmons
Verona
Bakelants
Vermeersch, G

Have joined the circus;

Rowe
Powless
Hofstetter
Walscheid
Arabanu
Garcia Cortina
Mozzato
Skujins
Oss
Ellisonde
Dombrowski

Can't imagine Rowe for Van Baarle is anything other than a forced change, perhaps Covid? They and UAE are looking a bit thinner for the cobbled/crosswind stages, but maybe it doesn't matter so much given their team leaders?
Glad to see Powless in.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Van Baarle
Trentin
Lampaert
Cavagna
Senechal
Chaves
Padun
Simmons
Verona
Bakelants
Vermeersch, G

Have joined the circus;

Rowe
Powless
Hofstetter
Walscheid
Arabanu
Garcia Cortina
Mozzato
Skujins
Oss
Ellisonde
Dombrowski

I'm assuming that this is because the provisional startlist is out? Probably not all correct.

Isnt this list from procyclingstats basically just their guesses, and therefore fairly meaningless as they have guessed wrong plenty of times in the past. And also clearly riders like Chaves, Senechal and Verona should be fairly certain starters, if no sudden covid or similar, that we havent heard anything about, just like Elissonde and Powless also were, the other day when they did not include them. Also riders now included here like Alaphilippe and Bissegger (that Like Andreas Kron also, still tests positive despite having no symptoms) are still uncertain to make it.
no, it's an official, provisional startlist, usually based on what the teams sent to the organizer:

View: https://twitter.com/SaDefourny/status/1540689794560401410

but this doesn't necessarily mean it's more up to date. Valgren is still on there, for example, who is long confirmed to be out with injury. Some teams just send their file 3 months before the race, and then never again until it's final.

no, it's an official, provisional startlist, usually based on what the teams sent to the organizer:

View: https://twitter.com/SaDefourny/status/1540689794560401410

but this doesn't necessarily mean it's more up to date. Valgren is still on there, for example, who is long confirmed to be out with injury. Some teams just send their file 3 months before the race, and then never again until it's final.

I had realised this and deleted my post while you were answering, but thanks anyway!

And yes even if it is an official list it still seems like a fairly outdated, and does not make us that much wiser.

TRENDING THREADS