• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022 Vuelta a Espana Stage 1(Utrecht-Utrecht), 23.3km TTT

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dream quartet over last 10 years?
Since it was in national teams, you'd need national quartets. For most potentially dominant quartet, therefore, it's almost impossible to see beyond a Wiggins-Froome-Thomas-? (Millar? Dowsett?) 2012 quartet. Australia would have the possibility to get some overlap between Dennis and Rogers, and then could get Porte and Turbo Durbo in to make a pretty sick team lineup too.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Dream quartet over last 10 years?
Ganna, Wiggins, Martin, Van Aert.

Since it was in national teams, you'd need national quartets. For most potentially dominant quartet, therefore, it's almost impossible to see beyond a Wiggins-Froome-Thomas-? (Millar? Dowsett?) 2012 quartet. Australia would have the possibility to get some overlap between Dennis and Rogers, and then could get Porte and Turbo Durbo in to make a pretty sick team lineup too.
Belgium clearly better than Australia.

Germany?
Martin, Grabsch, Lang, Gretsch.

I'm thinking of at a particularly fixed moment in time, mind, hence why I refer to there being overlap between Dennis and Rogers, if we took each of their respective peaks it would be much harder.

Hell, that Germany quartet, at one point could have had peak CERA-fuelled Stefan Schumacher in it when Martin was young and Grabsch was at his peak, but that would take us out of the 10 year timeframe.

Hell, there'd have been one point where Belarus would have been pretty useful with Kiryienka, Siutsou, Krasilnikau and Samoilau.

If these were an aggregate of solo riders I would say QS.

I'm a bit clueless regarding this discipline but one of Evenepoel's big advantages is that he is so compact that when he attacks it's hard to get as much draft benefit, which is part of the reason he's good on shallow gradients. I recall him trying to leadout Jakobsen in some of the earlier races but it was like his long pulls at the end were almost too good and he was getting separation off the front/losing the man.

Would it be more the case that TTTs like this favour the bigger men with respect to draft benefit rather than Quickstep's smaller/good CDA riders? I just have the image in my head of early US Postal whipping everyone and all of looking about 10 feet tall when they crossed the line.

Think BEX's good setup, balanced team and White's record in setting up TTT's with Orica could win them this, value at 8/1?

Think BEX's good setup, balanced team and White's record in setting up TTT's with Orica could win them this, value at 8/1?

I'd say so, most important is normally to have a strong unit, and I also see BEX as the best team in that regard, with 4 former team pursuit world champions, Yates, Craddock + a sprinter. Hamilton is a bit of a weak link, but there are no teams without those anyway.

Issue is that the risk of wet roads is higher at their relatively early starting time.

I'm a bit clueless regarding this discipline but one of Evenepoel's big advantages is that he is so compact that when he attacks it's hard to get as much draft benefit, which is part of the reason he's good on shallow gradients. I recall him trying to leadout Jakobsen in some of the earlier races but it was like his long pulls at the end were almost too good and he was getting separation off the front/losing the man.

Would it be more the case that TTTs like this favour the bigger men with respect to draft benefit rather than Quickstep's smaller/good CDA riders? I just have the image in my head of early US Postal whipping everyone and all of looking about 10 feet tall when they crossed the line.

This is why I am not so quick to expect a win from Quickstep here. They’ll be top 5 but I expect a physically bigger team to win, especially in this shorter TT.

Great point about rider size. Maybe not necessarily giants but similarly sized guys make for efficient drafting. I had the unfortunate duty of being behind the smallest, most compact/aero guy in a TTT with the other guys at 6'1" and 6'3". The shorter guy was very strong and got great recovery behind the monster dudes while I basically ended up taking a double pull each time with almost no recovery. We did OK but it was hard to walk after getting off the bike.
Just get one of the Aussie pursuit teams and let them do their bizness on the roadies....

Van Wilder's mom cheering for Arensman during the warm-up as DSM passes by.
I think 7 out of 8 Quicksteppers are wearing the new TT5 aero helmets.

This is why I am not so quick to expect a win from Quickstep here. They’ll be top 5 but I expect a physically bigger team to win, especially in this shorter TT.
If it's a technical parcours, smaller riders are at an advantage.

• Wow
Reactions: noob
Please someone call the fashion police, they've brought out the ugly helmets again

FaiNOyeWAAADY6b

TRENDING THREADS