• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022 Vuelta route rumors

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Camargo - Cistierna. That would be stage 7, so stages 8 and 9 will be in Asturias.

The stage is said to be for the sprinters. Going from sea level to 1000m there's no way to avoid some climbing, but all options have a long flat section before the finish. The best would be San Glorio, and that's 60km from the finish.

SanGlorioE.gif

We're lucky to skip La Camperona this year, though it is rumoured for 2023.

Camargo - Cistierna. That would be stage 7, so stages 8 and 9 will be in Asturias.

The stage is said to be for the sprinters. Going from sea level to 1000m there's no way to avoid some climbing, but all options have a long flat section before the finish. The best would be San Glorio, and that's 60km from the finish.

SanGlorioE.gif

We're lucky to skip La Camperona this year, though it is rumoured for 2023.
San Glorio would surely prevent a full blown bunch sprint.

Reactions: Sandisfan
San Glorio was done quite fast in its only appearance in 2014 and the main peloton was reduced to about 70 men IIRC. But that year they had the finish at La Camperona so sprinters had no incentive to chase.
But nobody had incentive to try and drop the sprinters anyway, so I don't really think it was done all that fast. Far easier climbs have been used recently to drop the sprinters than San Glorio. Col du Beal was drilled at 100km+ from the finish in the 2020 Tour, Portella Mandrazzi in the 2020 Giro.

Even this was too hard for the sprinters

If a stage with San Glorio at 60km is a full bunch sprints then DSes must be pelted with fruit

We're hot on rumours today.
Peñas Blancas MTF incoming, with departure from the province of Granada. Will they go back to Granada for the final party?

König won there in 2013 but Unipublic is assessing the possibility to use a recently re-paved road that adds 4km more of climbing until the mirador at 1300m asl.

Reales.gif

The video in the link shows a desolated landscape of burned trees caused by the fire this summer.

Or an uphill finish here after Altto de Monachil from South, that would also be a really good stage. With Monachil to built fatigue and to get rid of most of the domestiques you can attack on Haza Llana.
Most preferred option to me would be Sabinas-Monachil in that order. Do Puerto de la Ragua before for leg sapping and breakaway establishment.

Basically that first lead up to Hazallanas is really good cause you can drill it there, the descent is technical and likely to split up a peloton so you can't afford to do your own pace and come back later, which means you can force riders to go beyond their ideal pace for a ~50 minute climb before the climb even starts, which is the #1 recipe for big gaps.

Stage 4 (the first one on Spain's roads) confirmed in Alava, with finish likely in Laguardia.

Looks like a missed opportunity to have Puerto de Herrera somewhere close to the stage finish as Laguardia is close to the start of the climb on its hard side.

Herrera.JPG

Trujillo - Piornal confirmed.

Piornal is a 4-6% climb on every side. They'll do East side first and a short loop in the Jerte Valley to climb back the easiest of the West sides, 16km @ 5%. Riding the loop in opposite direction the climb would be 13km @ 5.6%. I'm probably splitting hairs here. It's a Montevergine anyway I look at it.

Lame. No Honduras because the stage would be too long, the report says. Half true. Trujillo - Honduras W - Piornal W is 180km, but Honduras W isn't much better than Piornal E. The more difficult Honduras E (13km @ 6.6%, including 5km @ 7.5%) takes the race away from the designated finish and requires a longer loop that places that climb too far from the finish.

I hope this to be somewhere in the second week but not in the weekend.

Looks like Les Praeres has a high chance to host one of the Asturian stage finishes together with Collado Fancuaya.

The 2018 stage to Les Praeres started in Cistierna. That's where they finish next year the day before they enter Asturias. It smells funny.

• Wow
Looks like Les Praeres has a high chance to host one of the Asturian stage finishes together with Collado Fancuaya.

The 2018 stage to Les Praeres started in Cistierna. That's where they finish next year the day before they enter Asturias. It smells funny.
Smell that?

That's the smell of Rampas Inhumanas

• Wow
The Basque Country will host two full stages and the departure of the stage to Pico Jano.
Stage 4: Vitoria - Laguardia
Stage 5: Irún - Bilbao
Stage 6: Bilbao - Pico Jano

No clues about stage routes.

• Wow
Fd6YySl.png

(Ignore the brief bit of flat in the Haza Llanas climb, that's a tracking error where I clicked too close to an adjacent road, resulting in a short out-and-back on the route to return to the main climb)
Yeah I also think that's about as good as it gets with the Sierra Nevada climbs. Some might prefer it without Cumbres Verdes as that climb is quite hard on it's own and might scare some people but I feel like Sierra Nevada kind of needs a climb after it. Even with the Haza Llanas route most attacks would still have to come on the 5-6% sections and that's a recipe for disappointment. Sierra Nevada is great for tactical moves and completely blowing up the peloton but not for an all out gc battle in a close race.

TRENDING THREADS