• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro D’Italia Route Rumors

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm finding it impossible to get excited about the 2023 giro right now. I'll come round (most of my injuries are emotional). I'd like to see more tt kms (the giro is the one race that needs this), sterrato and a monster climb as the penultimate climb in a long mountain stage. I don't do route design. I leave it to the master debaters. Give us back the giro. We miss it.

I thought the 2020 and 2021 routes were good-to-excellent and only ruined by factors beyond the control of the race - pandemic/weather/etc. I wonder how "reactionary" the routes are to criticism - the Tour apparently designed the 2021 route (with a lot of descents) because they weren't happy with the number of uphill sprint finishes with like 2 minutes of action in 2020, and then got pushback from the French press about the lack of true MTFs hence the 2022 route.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I thought the 2020 and 2021 routes were good-to-excellent and only ruined by factors beyond the control of the race - pandemic/weather/etc. I wonder how "reactionary" the routes are to criticism - the Tour apparently designed the 2021 route (with a lot of descents) because they weren't happy with the number of uphill sprint finishes with like 2 minutes of action in 2020, and then got pushback from the French press about the lack of true MTFs hence the 2021 route.

The Giro routes the last 2 years have too many mountains stages ending with a very hard climb.

I think they fixed one side already, this years u23 Giro has a MTF on Fauniera. They'll need to fix the descent as well before it becomes part of the Giro but I think it'll happen in the coming years.
The ascending side doesn't need to be especially good. It's the descent that is important when it comes to road quality.

But of course, it's the most "useless" side least connected to other climbs that has been fixed.......

• Wow
Usually I post a wishlist of outrageous things that are never happening, like Passo di Tremalzo from Limone.

However, this time I'll post a wishlist of reasonable stuff that is never happening

• A 40km+ ITT in the middle of the race
  • Final GC stage is a mountain stage but one without a Cat 1 MTF
  • A descend finish from a bona fide HC level climb, like Monte Grappa, even if it's unipuerto like Asolo 2010.
  • A queen stage that is a proper tappone without a Cat 1 MTF.
  • A mountain stage in the south with at least one of Monte Petrano, Catria, or Nerone
  • No Etna.
  • Final MTF before stage 17

I thought the 2020 and 2021 routes were good-to-excellent and only ruined by factors beyond the control of the race - pandemic/weather/etc. I wonder how "reactionary" the routes are to criticism - the Tour apparently designed the 2021 route (with a lot of descents) because they weren't happy with the number of uphill sprint finishes with like 2 minutes of action in 2020, and then got pushback from the French press about the lack of true MTFs hence the 2022 route.
If the 2021 route had Zoncolan from Ovaro, and a decent length TT in week 2, it would have actually been a really good route.

I want to see a stage finish at the summit of a cat 1 climb on the opening weekend. Highly doubt it would ever happen but I can dream.
Does this count?
Vuelta-a-Espana-2013-stage-2-profile-new.jpg

Does this count?
Vuelta-a-Espana-2013-stage-2-profile-new.jpg
Very generous categorisation, it must be said.

2020 Vuelta obviously started out hot but that wasn't opening weekend because they had to cancel the overseas start.

2007 went with this on stage 4, most MTFs at that point tend to be of the Montevergine style, like in 2011 where Sierra Nevada was on stage 4 but they used the main A-395 road so it was a 5% tempo grinder:
prefil4.gif

2020 Vuelta was fabulously brutal early but not by design as they were supposed to start in a pan flat part of the Netherlands. The hard route and cold, wet weather caught out a lot of riders like Vlasov who lost big time on day 1. I think this would have been day 4 which is still early but it was not one of the monster climbs like an Angliru or Covadonga.

The profile is from stage 2 of the 2013 Vuelta, which started with a TTT.

i want to see San Pellegrino in Alpe with an Abetone finish like the 2000 stage. it's crazy that they haven't done that again since.
There was someone on this forum with the idea that the last weekend in the Giro should consist of a that stage on Friday, a Montalcino sterrato stage on saturday before finishing in Rome on Sunday. IMO that could have been an absolute brilliant finish. And let them use the high Alps/Dolomite stages already in the second week of the Giro.

TRENDING THREADS