• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro D’Italia Route Rumors

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No, I made that up.

Of course these are actual rumors and quite loud, especially in Friuli Venezia Giulia and Slovenia.
Yeah and while I love Trieste I'd rather have those stage as stage 14 and 15, with a brutal hilly circuit like to Torino one around Trieste, possibly with Scala Santa (2kms at 16%).
Something like that one day after a really hard MTF/MTT could create big gaps.
https://www.cronoescalada.com/tracks/view/803622
There are rumours about a Montevergine stage, can't they just make that one an ITT with 15kms of flat at the start? That would be a MTT that would favour the big engines over the small climbers and create big gaps, there's a huge difference between 5% tempogrinders and actually hard climbs.

Yeah and while I love Trieste I'd rather have those stage as stage 14 and 15, with a brutal hilly circuit like to Torino one around Trieste, possibly with Scala Santa (2kms at 16%).
Something like that one day after a really hard MTF/MTT could create big gaps.
https://www.cronoescalada.com/tracks/view/803622
There are rumours about a Montevergine stage, can't they just make that one an ITT with 15kms of flat at the start? That would be a MTT that would favour the big engines over the small climbers and create big gaps, there's a huge difference between 5% tempogrinders and actually hard climbs.
Don't even need the flat. Montevergine would be early in the Giro, I don't think you need it to be a super massive stage, nor do I think it should be the only ITT.

Few climbs in the south there look pretty good, Monte Gelbison, Monte Dragone, and Monte Stella, but I would have no idea about road condition or whatever.

But I would like to get the MTFs earlier in the race so you can just do the really well done stages in the north of Italy.

Particularly in the peak Sky era I think organizers didn't like them having significant GC impact so they became really short. Unfortunately this also led to the dynamic where the only drama that could happen is crashes which nobody likes in TTTs.

I figure short ones will return at some point because I think the bike companies like the image of having all the riders on time trial bikes lined up together.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The Vuelta tried in the past two exotic variations on the TTT thing to open the race.
  1. In 1988: teams of 10 were split in 5 pairs. Then they made 5 groups including one pair from each of the 18 teams (36 riders). DS chose both pair composition and which pair went to which group. Each group rode the same 17km long stage as a mixed-team-time-trial. They were that crazy the year the race started in the Canary Islands.
  2. In 1991 they were rather conservative with their experiment: teams of 9 were split in 3 trios chosen by their DS and ride a 9km Trio-Time-Trial
In both years there were traditional TTTs later on in the first week.

Maybe they could do one Tour of Tasmania style.
It's definitely my dream to have a proper mountain TTT one day where the time of the last one counts for everyone. The sheer hilarity of Pogacar pulling his team for 90% of the time while shouting words of encourangement to his useless teammates popping off his wheel would be fantastic.
I'd even take Etna for that again.

To be realistic, I'd like to see the same last mountain stage as in 2019. Manghen is a beast and under right circumstances this stage can be legendary.
Hell, if I recall correctly we've had 5 people group 100km to the finish, Roglic and Nibali dropped.. If any of them had maglia rosa, I believe it would've been a carnage..

To be realistic, I'd like to see the same last mountain stage as in 2019. Manghen is a beast and under right circumstances this stage can be legendary.
Hell, if I recall correctly we've had 5 people group 100km to the finish, Roglic and Nibali dropped.. If any of them had maglia rosa, I believe it would've been a carnage..
Problem with 2019 was Passo Rolle. If you want a behemoth climb to lead into Monte Avena/Croce d'Aune it needs to be Monte Grappa

GCN found a very good Italian climb for the Giro ( 7.5km long with an average gradient of 17.6% and maximum of 42.8% )

View: https://youtu.be/xrUt1_lZoQk
Scanuppia has been known for many years.

Meh, Scanuppia was been well known for ages (first reference in this forum goes back to 2009 from what I could search), how can GCN had just "found" it now?

I remember when I first looked for it on YT there was a video doing a wheely for the full downhill.

It's definitely my dream to have a proper mountain TTT one day where the time of the last one counts for everyone. The sheer hilarity of Pogacar pulling his team for 90% of the time while shouting words of encourangement to his useless teammates popping off his wheel would be fantastic.
I'd even take Etna for that again.
I want a hard ascent- technical decent TTT.

• Wow
What would be the most obvious stages in Slovenia? A descent finish to Kranskja Gora and a stage finish in Ljubljana?

The biggest mountain stages in the Dolomites the second weekend, and then a last week with a big medium mountain stage in Friuli, two or three Slovenian stages and a hilly finish in Trieste could have been an interesting route!

Preferably no Zoncolan, and especially no Monte Lussari. A MTT to Lussari is just a boring and bad idea.

What would be the most obvious stages in Slovenia? A descent finish to Kranskja Gora and a stage finish in Ljubljana?

The biggest mountain stages in the Dolomites the second weekend, and then a last week with a big medium mountain stage in Friuli, two or three Slovenian stages and a hilly finish in Trieste could have been an interesting route!

Preferably no Zoncolan, and especially no Monte Lussari. A MTT to Lussari is just a boring and bad idea.
Mangart!

Yeah, that's a brute. Last 16 km are almost constantly 8-10 %.

Mangart.gif

TRENDING THREADS