• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro D’Italia Route Rumors

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm probably on the minority here but I hope it's not true. There are enough climbs already who can be used, looking at pictures from the spot a paved road there would spoil the beauty of it. Hope they don't go for that just to hold a bike race.
Mangart or Monte Lussari?

Agree on the latter. Save for scenery, I just think it's a waste to use a stage for short ITT where the riders are winding themselves up the incredibly steep slopes to the sanctuary.

Last edited:
Why not? They can do like the MTT event and finish at the parking lot 2 km from the top.
Because Mangart is part of Triglav national park and they don't allow that. Too much cars, people, noise etc. I don't think there's enough space for everything, not to mention the lack of parking lots. I can't even imagine where team buses would be.

Because Mangart is part of Triglav national park and they don't allow that. Too much cars, people, noise etc. I don't think there's enough space for everything, not to mention the lack of parking lots. I can't even imagine where team buses would be.
Team buses would be at the bottom. And they can use the loop in the end to park the minimum required number of cars etc. It would hardly be unparalleled with a finish at such a place.

An uphill finish in Planica after either Virsic or the Wurzenpass would be nice.
I agree on Lussari, the only way it would work would be if the final stage in Trieste features a really hard circuit with Scala Santa, like the Torino stage this year. Having the race end with a road stage that is a gc stage and not just a parade stage would be something different.

An uphill finish in Planica after either Virsic or the Wurzenpass would be nice.

But the thing with Planica next year is, that in 2023 Planica will host the nordic ski world championships. In 2020 when Antholz hosted the Biathlon world championships, the Giro visited it in the year before to make some marketing. I know that with Cortina in 2021 it was aswell first the winter event, and then the giro. But I think for the city of Planica it would be the wrong order. At least the wont pay much for it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Team buses would be at the bottom. And they can use the loop in the end to park the minimum required number of cars etc. It would hardly be unparalleled with a finish at such a place.
I don't know if even at the bottom is enough space for buses... but it doesn't matter anyway, TNP don't allow it and that's it. Shame, I know, it would be epic.

But the thing with Planica next year is, that in 2023 Planica will host the nordic ski world championships. But in 2020 when Antholz hosted the Biathlon world championships, the Giro visited it in the year before to make some marketing. I know that with Cortina in 2021 it was aswell first the winter event, and then the giro. But I think for the city of Planica it would be the wrong order. At least the wont pay much for it.
Planica uphill finish is not very important. It would be a few flat kms after Kranjska Gora, then a 2 km, 5 % uphill.

A good last week given a finish in Trieste and a loop into Slovenia, could be something like:

Stage 16-18: ITT, Monte Zoncolan finish, flat/hilly stage in Friuli
Stage 19: Big mountain stage from somewhere in Friuli to for example Kranjska Gora via Moistrocca. Here you could easily include climbs like Cason di Lanza and Sella Carnizza.
Stage 20: Flat (or hilly) stage to Ljubljana.
Stage 21: Last stage to Trieste including a couple of climbs of Scala Santa

Stage 16-18: ITT, Monte Zoncolan finish, flat/hilly stage in Friuli
Stage 19: Big mountain stage from somewhere in Friuli to for example Kranjska Gora via Moistrocca. Here you could easily include climbs like Cason di Lanza and Sella Carnizza.
Stage 20: Flat (or hilly) stage to Ljubljana.
Stage 21: Last stage to Trieste including a couple of climbs of Scala Santa

Whilst the Zoncolan should be safe, I doubt that they will create a whole week in the North east region. Except they maybe leave out the south of italy completely and focus entirely from Pescara northwards. Nevertheless, Dolomites early third or late second week seems good, hopefully with the queenstage.

By the way, I think it's time for the Finestre again. Last time they used it was in 2018. The last time Sestriere was visited was 2020 (when france robbed as an epic one)

Last edited:
Whilst the Zoncolan should be safe, I doubt that they will create a whole week in the North east region. Except they maybe leave out the south of italy completely and focus entirely from Pescara northwards. Nevertheless, Dolomites early third or late second week seems good, hopefully with the queenstage.

By the way, I think it's time for the Finestre again. Last time they used it was in 2018. The last time Sestriere was visited was 2020 (when france robbed as an epic one)

They should do the loop they did in 2020 at the end for a Finestre-Sestriere-Sestriere combo.

I agree on Lussari, the only way it would work would be if the final stage in Trieste features a really hard circuit with Scala Santa, like the Torino stage this year. Having the race end with a road stage that is a gc stage and not just a parade stage would be something different.
Roglic on Planica would be uuhhh funny.

• Love
Reactions: Gigs_98 and acm
I think roglic to the giro next year is highly unlikely to be honest. The most plausible scenario I think would be if he tied Herras' vuelta record this year, but then he isn't even certain to start the Vuelta with his injuries. Even if he did, the fact that Kelderman seems to be set to join the team next year suggests to me that he will be their Giro leader, while roglic and vingegaard co lead the Tour again but with Vingegaard as the main leader. Then Kelderman can go to the Vuelta to support roglic / vingegaard if they go, as well as be a potential GC leader there in other circumstances.

I think roglic to the giro next year is highly unlikely to be honest. The most plausible scenario I think would be if he tied Herras' vuelta record this year, but then he isn't even certain to start the Vuelta with his injuries. Even if he did, the fact that Kelderman seems to be set to join the team next year suggests to me that he will be their Giro leader, while roglic and vingegaard co lead the Tour again but with Vingegaard as the main leader. Then Kelderman can go to the Vuelta to support roglic / vingegaard if they go, as well as be a potential GC leader there in other circumstances.
If Roglic wants to go to the Giro, he'll go there. It doesn't matter what Kelderman wants.

Yes that is true however it still seems to me the race he is least likely to go to. Almost certainly he will want to do the Tour (incase he can finally win it) and he probably would go for the Vuelta over the Giro, if I am not mistaken, since the Vuelta parcours generally suits him very well. I just think roglic will be guaranteed to go to the Tour and I doubt he will want to do the giro tour vs tour vuelta.

However it is about the route here. I feel annoyed, that the Giro visited Slovenia two years in a row, and maybe will try a third time. They could visit Austria (Sölden/Rettenbachferner, Großglockner), Switzerland (Umbrailpass, Gotthardpass) or France (Agnello, Izoard) instead. If they want one of the two Slovenians in there, they need TTs and for Pogi some stages to go long (which means, the hardest ramp should come with 50 km to go or so, not at the last summit finish). Even then they wont ride it (sadly), except Roglic got the opinion, his first GT every year is ***, and he wins his second GT every year (Giro-Tour-double)

TRENDING THREADS