• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro D’Italia Route Rumors

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You can't include 70 kilometres of TT's any more, since the mountains don't create enough gaps any more with the current gearing to level it out.

That said less than 20 kilometers of TT's in a grand tour are beyond comical as well.

The Giro d'Italia used to do it properly for long years. Having a good, long TT and enough mountains to let it swing one direction or the other.

The 2020 Giro d'Italia still had a perfectly fine route that created a well deserved winner in Geoghegan Hart due to the final TT.

Dunno why Vegni has lost it that much the past editions.

the mountains at the tour sure had no problem causing big gaps. The riders actually RACED instead of sucking wheel until 1.5k to go

stick 115km of flat ITT, the climbers will be forced to attack 3 climbs from the finish once again

I'm starting to hate the obvious pandering.

At least 2009 or 2015 style TTs made themselves memorable. Hell even 2013 was a massive TT.

My preference is a longish prologue and a single big TT, preferably not too late. And then just cram in the massive mountainious boys.
I don't mind two long TT as long as they put 2-400 km mountain stage climbing the Himalayas and coming back. Only 1 sherpa per team allowed. Otherwise is out of date!

Reactions: Red Rick
Still no more exciting rumours. Campo Imperatore is okay, but no more than that . A tough hilly stage around Bergamo, a Bondone MTF and a Tre Cime finish are the best rumours this far. Bondone is probably one of the top 5 big MTFs that could/should be used for the Giro, and there should at least 1-2 of these each version. And Tre Cime is a potential finish for a proper queen stage, but it really shouldn't be followed by a Lussari MTT the day after.

The problem is the backloading, the lack of stages encouaring long range attacks (no Finestre, Motirolo, Stelvio, San Pellegrino in Alpe or other possible stages in this category), probably only mediocre medium mountain stages and the Lussari MTT as the penultimate stage. As stated earlier. That is superseded only by the last ramp at Belles Filles as the worst gimmick finish in Grand Tour history.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Still no more exciting rumours. Campo Imperatore is okay, but no more than that . A tough hilly stage around Bergamo, a Bondone MTF and a Tre Cime finish are the best rumours this far. Bondone is probably one of the top 5 big MTFs that could/should be used for the Giro, and there should at least 1-2 of these each version. And Tre Cime is a potential finish for a proper queen stage, but it really shouldn't be followed by a Lussari MTT the day after.

The problem is the backloading, the lack of stages encouaring long range attacks (no Finestre, Motirolo, Stelvio, San Pellegrino in Alpe or other possible stages in this category), probably only mediocre medium mountain stages and the Lussari MTT as the penultimate stage. As stated earlier. That is superseded only by the last ramp at Belles Filles as the worst gimmick finish in Grand Tour history.
Yeah, so far I'm getting 2014 Giro vibes from this one...

• Wow
Just noticed that Italy does not have any world class road elite men any more (exception: Ganna). So the Tifosi probably won‘t get to see too many Italian stage wins.

In general, Italy offers many steep, long climbs, also such on narrow roads. So I don‘t know why they ride Blockhaus and similar climbs almost every time. That‘s like PDBF in the Tour.

There are Italian climbs with more than ten or even more than 15 kilometers, with an average gradient of ten to 12%, and steep parts up to 25 or 30%. That would be something nice to watch for us spectators.

Zoncolan is good, but there are climbs in Italy which make Zoncolan look like a „false flat“… :)

• Love
I'm on vacation at Lago di Garda right now, and yesterday I actually sat and looked directly at a climb that really should be used in the Giro. From Monte Altissimo in the Monte Baldo chain I looked directly over to the southern approach of Passo Bordala. This could be used in combo with the steep climb to Monte Faè, about 7 km at 10 %, last 2,5 km at over 12 %.

First Faé, a short descent followed by about 10 km at 6,5 % to Bordala before a descent straight into the town of Rovereto, one of the largest towns in Trentino. Faé and Bordala could also easily be preceeded by another 2 or 3 (at least) big climbs making it a real queen stage at a but lower altitudes than the more common queen stages.

Which isn't necessarily better is it? Has Gran Sasso d'Italia ever produced significant gaps apart from 1999 Pantani?
It isn't better, but I prefer to have right bad rumours rather than wrong bad rumours.

They have finished already? That was fast.
So it seems. I don't know when they started though.

More news, yesterday Beppe Conti said that stage 18 will finish in Zoldo Alto, which would be really good news and I don't see any reason to discard it, considering that stage 19 is supposedly starting in Longarone. He also said the finish will be in Rome, which is very weird.
Today a local article claimed that stage 8 will finish in Fossombrone, likely starting from Terni, which would mean that Campo Imperatore would actually be stage 7. I still wonder where stage 9 would go. Either something in Tuscany or they go directly to the ITT in Emilia.

Last edited:
  • Wow
It isn't better, but I prefer to have right bad rumours rather than wrong bad rumours.

So it seems. I don't know when they started though.

More news, yesterday Beppe Conti said that stage 18 will finish in Zoldo Alto, which would be really good news and I don't see any reason to discard it, considering that stage 19 is supposedly starting in Longarone. He also said the finish will be in Rome, which is very weird.
Today a local article claimed that stage 8 will finish in Fossombrone, likely starting from Terni, which would mean that Campo Imperatore would actually be stage 7. I still wonder where stage 9 would go. Either something in Tuscany or they go directly to the ITT in Emilia.
Zoldo Alto would indeed be great news. So stage 19 is supposed to start in Longarone and go eastwards?

no, stage 19 is the Tre Cime one. The last week should be:

16 Brescia? - Monte Bondone
17 Trento? - Caorle
18 ? - Zoldo Alto
19 Longarone - Tre Cime
20 Tarvisio - Monte Lussari MTT
21 final parade somewhere idk
Tre Cime after a stage where you can attack on the penultimate climb? That's meh...
Also, that would be an at least 160km transfer before the final ITT and it's not just all flat roads.

Tre Cime after a stage where you can attack on the penultimate climb? That's meh...
Also, that would be an at least 160km transfer before the final ITT and it's not just all flat roads.
Well I didn't design this....
Tbf the real problem is the MTT. With that fixed as stage 20, I don't mind having the long range attack type on stage 18 and a straightforward MTF on stage 19.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS