• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d’Italia, Stage 20: Tarvisio- Monte Lussari, 18.6km MTT

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Some pics

FxKBGpQXoAQdsvH
I've never understood the military. If you want to make your presence clear as a force for imposing public order, why wear camoflage?

There is a large base in my town, and they go shopping in this gear. Why do they think they need to remain unseen while wandering around a supermarket, and just how well do they think it makes them blend into the surroundings of the toilet roll and kitchen paper aisle?

Last edited:
The most important takeaways.

1. The Slovenian crowd on top of the mountain had better live timing than television watchers, judging by the explosion of sound when Thomas' Giro saving deadline had passed.
2. Sam Oomen looked mightily disappointed when Pinot beat Kuss' time. I wonder what bet he lost.
3. It took Roglic about 14 bear hugs to realise he still hadn't put on his shirt normally.

Had they retained the 30% OTL threshold, Benedetti, Lastra and Hvideberg would not be on the startline tomorrow.

I am glad that at least those who availed of this weakening of rules are not those who are likely to gain any real advantage from it. I would find it rather galling to see somebody winning the sprint tomorrow who would have been eliminated but for an unnecessary softening of the rules.

Had they retained the 30% OTL threshold, Benedetti, Lastra and Hvideberg would not be on the startline tomorrow.

I am glad that at least those who availed of this weakening of rules are not those who are likely to gain any real advantage from it. I would find it rather galling to see somebody winning the sprint tomorrow who would have been eliminated but for an unnecessary softening of the rules.
I don't mind when the time limit rules are idiotic anyway. Flat TT => cutoff +30%. TT up one of the hardest climbs of the year => cutoff +30%

That one was for Milan, when you look at the final results. I bet a helicopter was on stand by just in case.

The amazing thing on that shot was the other Jumbos jumping up and screaming in horror while Kuss barely reacted at all!
It could be as you imply that Kuss (who worked his ars off for PR) was glad that PR had a problem, or maybe, just maybe, he was blown from his effort (also the most recent JV to finish so no post ride food had hit the system yet).

1. The Slovenian crowd on top of the mountain had better live timing than television watchers, judging by the explosion of sound when Thomas' Giro saving deadline had passed.

Have you never been at a time trial?
An old style watch with a sweep seconds hand is enough to tell you everything you need to know.
Phones with a stopwatch app more common, and that's all you need.

2. Sam Oomen looked mightily disappointed when Pinot beat Kuss' time. I wonder what bet he lost.
3. It took Roglic about 14 bear hugs to realise he still hadn't put on his shirt normally.
If some in the Crowd had stop watches/Apps and they could time the difference between riders passing minus 3 minutes though the timing is actually as they cross the sensor with their front wheel so only a little bit of difference for live timing and actual riders going past.

chains dont usually magically fly off. Its a combination of the line a cyclist takes, the tension they have on the drivetrain and their shifting souplesse.
its just my opinion that this chain drop like 80% of them is rider error.
I'm not gonna get into a big debate, but i know from personal experience when the chain drops its not by magic
I think it's fine to get into it. Just because he still won doesn't mean this incident shouldn't get some scrutiny.

So a 1x should have deep teeth on the front chainring, making it hard to drop the chain and making a guide unnecessary. However the derailure should also have a clutch system to keep the chain tight. Something designed for gravel and MTB should stay on pretty good.

So we have to wonder, did they use a standard derailure for better efficiency but poorer chain management? Did they use the right front chainring? Or is just not a good product?

While riding into a pothole is unadvisable a good Gravel 1x setup should laugh that off surely

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh Januss
Oops. Yes I see now 🫢
The first stage TT climb to Ortona was 2.8 km at an average of 2.4% - there was also a 500m section downhill on the climb.
Thomas finished 9th overall 55 seconds behind Remco - he slipped from 5th fastest to 9th after the climb.
Interesting that Roglic went the opposite way, starting the climb 10th fastest and finishing 5th.

Last edited:
Have you never been at a time trial?
An old style watch with a sweep seconds hand is enough to tell you everything you need to know.
Phones with a stopwatch app more common, and that's all you need.
I was at the Apeldoorn Giro prologue.

The 0.002 seconds between Dumoand Roglic were hard to clock, but the crowd wemt wild when Cancellara had a mechanical

TRENDING THREADS