• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 14: Sierre – Cassano Magnago 193 km (Saturday, May 20th)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Think he said himself that the priority is a stage and the mountain jersey or a GC placing are secondary. If he's concentrating on a stage, he should be looking at tomorrow and then Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. He'll probably secure mountains in that anyway as I can see Bais taking more points than him in the 3 big stages next week.

Good point, but he did try to get in the group didn't he? Personally I wish for him to get stage, jersey and Top 10. But the Top 10 wish of course makes the other two less likely. If he doesn't really grow super strong and manages to win a stage from the group of favourites.

The strategy of FDJ at this Giro is not clear to me. Seems like he's going for the mountains jersey, a top10 and a stage at the same time. But since he doesn't have the level anymore/or the others just got better that might be too much and he risks being left with nothing.
Bruno Armirail might win this Giro, though. Just needs a few more cancellations.

Based on how Pinot rode yesterday, my guess is their tactics are based on gut feelings. Which makes it more entertaining (possibly) or hands down stupid if it goes wrong. Yesterday it was both.

Reactions: Davesta and BR2
And you thought yesterday was bad?

FwWCixQWABAbT7E

I think he‘s defending against ‚back in my day‘ arguments??

He was asked to comment on the criticism from riders form 80s and 90s on shortening yesterdays stage.

Well he wasnt bothered as alot happened back in the day that shouldnt have
Thanks :) Ah I see. That is what I suspected. But basically what he then logically would have as a prerequisite would be something along the lines of "you cannot do a GT in bad conditions without either doping or shortening it".
Which of course he would never say. But imo that's the logic conclusion of what he's saying. If he believes what he's saying and isn't just trying to project.
Oh well.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thanks :) Ah I see. That is what I suspected. But basically what he then logically would have as a prerequisite would be something along the lines of "you cannot do a GT in bad conditions without either doping or shortening it".
Which of course he would never say. But imo that's the logic conclusion of what he's saying. If he believes what he's saying and isn't just trying to project.
Oh well.

nah I took it more as they were asking hm about what some 80s/90s riders who had claimed modern riders were soft for not riding in the conditions where they shortened the stage, and he replied well they did lots of things in the 80/90s we dont and are proud not to do anymore, so he's just basically telling those 80s/90s riders to get back in the sea about raising such daft points because riders in the 80s/90s actually dont have the moral high ground in cycling.