• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 19: Longarone – Tre Cime di Lavaredo 183 km (Friday, May 26th)

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Have you noticed that Jumbo have numbers only until De Plus does as much as fart and then everyone but Kuss is gone? And Kuss got cleaned today.

Jumbo clearly operate on the assumption attrition doesn't favor Roglic. I guess Monte Bondone has something to do with it.
Has attrition ever favoured Roglic? With him it's mainly about keeping his powder dry as long as possible.

Reactions: Lui98 and SHAD0W93
Have you noticed that Jumbo have numbers only until De Plus does as much as fart and then everyone but Kuss is gone? And Kuss got cleaned today.

Jumbo clearly operate on the assumption attrition doesn't favor Roglic. I guess Monte Bondone has something to do with it.

Could've still kept break closer multiple times this Giro without adding significant attrition imo. Could've just brought Kooij, a sprint train and Roglic & Kuss if they were going to ride like this. I'm obviously taking the piss a bit now, but i genuinly believe Roglic could've been withing 10 seconds of Thomas just purely with boni seconds if they went a sprint with the favorites in a few stages.

Yeah as much as it's boring, and i really hate sky train strangling races, ineos did their job correctly to defend the lead and dictate exactly what was best for their leader.

Roglic and Almida should get permanent blacklisted from il Giro. Only Catalunya tour and Vuelta for them. They didn't bother to test if G Thomas was on a bad day, they didn't dare to win the Giro. The gregario have no bad days left. Its the day to burn them all in pursuit of the victory of the 2023 Giro ditalia. To be remembered as a legend, a winner of this great sport in the greatest theatre of them all, the dolomites.

Jumbo had 6 riders doing nothing in peltoon on the Giau. They could at least have paced to test ineos and get roglic some extra bonus seconds back by catching break riders. But they just sit there and roglic does a purito attack at 2km.

If you don't feel the best on the climbs, try and take time on a descent. Like bardet 2 years ago. Roglic is stronger in descending. But I guess nobody bothers to de recons anymore so this is becoming a lost skill

Roglic seems useless at communicating and leading as well. Almida not much better.
So much this. At least Almeida might benefit more from a war of attrition before the super steep part, a hard, really long climb seemed to be great for him on Bondone.

I mean do casual fans actually subscribe to GCN? I'd have thought the subscriber base for a cycling only channel would only be people like us who really like watching cycling.

I'd get it for the Tour, but not any other race.
GCN = eurosport, and you get Eurosport in Sky and amazon package deals, not to mention that it's owned by Disney/Discovery so I am sure there are other ways to access it.

Let's see about trying: most of the stages conducted in rain and threat of Covid along with some hail today and huge climbs. Nope, I guess no one even tried. Stated like a hardened Belgian pro analyzing club racers. Sorry.
Last time I checked, disease has existed for quite some time, and the "threat" of it (unlike actually catching it) has not materially impacted the aggression or lack thereof in races before (with a few exceptions like the 12 giro where it was believed that trying to win would actually cause cardiac arrest.) Bad weather, if anything, ought to encourage risk on racing on stages otherwise not suited for interesting GC racing. As far as there being huge climbs today... yes? Isn't that like where things are supposed to happen?

Apart from stage 16, this year has clearly been a very dull race, and whoever wins it tomorrow will have beaten 2 fairly close contenders that refused to take any risk to get into a winning position.

Some pics

FxFLuzOWcAMuUUn

FxFGnIkWwAoxUui

FxEeQY6XsAAoxQd

I too wish Roglic had more of the Contador spirit, but few riders do and he is a more careful rider with different strengths. Also, I still think the crashes and possibly age/accumulated damage have cost him a lot in this Giro. Of course, we will never know, but I’m sure it hurts to stay in a race while in pain, be unable to stack as a result, and then bear intense criticism for not attacking. Much easier to restore and ride the Tour.

Edit: Watched the end of the stage and learned again why you can’t trust Eye witness accounts. My assessment didn’t match reality. It turns out I was in the really crazy section but most of the climb had plenty of space for attacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
I genuinly still don't understand why Jumbo didn't use Roglic strong suit this Giro... His sprint. Really could've gotten more boni seconds than Thomas this Giro. Even earlier in the Giro.
Because they were too afraid of the third week, so they wanted to preserve as much energy as possible to do what...to do almost nothing, to stay in touch...

Now if Roglič wins the Giro tomorrow, fair play to them, they made the right decision. If he doesn't, then it was a bad tactical mistake and I hope they'll aknowledge that.

Reactions: Lui98
Last time I checked, disease has existed for quite some time, and the "threat" of it (unlike actually catching it) has not materially impacted the aggression or lack thereof in races before (with a few exceptions like the 12 giro where it was believed that trying to win would actually cause cardiac arrest.) Bad weather, if anything, ought to encourage risk on racing on stages otherwise not suited for interesting GC racing. As far as there being huge climbs today... yes? Isn't that like where things are supposed to happen?

Apart from stage 16, this year has clearly been a very dull race, and whoever wins it tomorrow will have beaten 2 fairly close contenders that refused to take any risk to get into a winning position.
A dull race was probably inevitable after the weather and loss of Remco and Tao. if you have 3 fairly close contenders with a similar riding style, plus a course design that favors saving energy for the last 3 stages, I am not sure what else could have happened since.

Reactions: Gratemans

Covid has taken key riders out of the race making it a narrower field. That's impact on work load and strategy. The weather has been consistently heinous and treacherous for bike handling. That adds fatigue more than opportunity. But you're looking to "encourage risk"; which makes no sense to any team that's invested everthing to be in contention at this point unless all indications are a bold move would surely succeed. The break succeeded but almost everyone was caught on the last climb alone. Then there's this:
Despite all the hate, the terrible riders still beat the previous record up Tre Cime by 41 seconds. After riding through a hail storm.

Reactions:SHAD0W93, Carols, cen and 1 other person

So I guess you need to see more "active" effort for satisfaction. These dudes are riding to win, as always. They'll listen to your demands when you can afford to sponsor the team. Maybe Vino could buy Roglic's team so he can win a race.

Disappointing stage, GC fight for 1.5 km? Come on, worst Giro I can remember so far. That Primoz's mini-stomp at the end was surprising, I thought it would be Thomas's stomp! Too bad Cort happened and no 5' bonus for the Slovenian (even this can matter tomorrow). The race is still on, 26' is doable but Primoz needs to be stronger than Thomas (which actually wasn't the case today).

TRENDING THREADS