• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 4: Venosa – Lago Laceno 175 km (Tuesday, May 9th)

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Klaas Lodewyck implies that they let the guys peel off one by one to save energy, because they knew nothing was going to happen anymore, and because it had been a hard race.

Dubious.
Yeah, they are probably trying to downplay it right now. Could become a problem if certain riders don't improve. Cattaneo and Van Wilder were surprisingly bad today.

Joke's on you for getting expectations up in that situation. Not much ever happens on a stage like this on a stage 4 unless one team can dominate the race solo and those teams don't go to the Giro most of the time.

Final climb was disappointing I agree, but I think everyone was afraid of getting countered in the worst caase and Evenepoel pulling it back on the flat in the best case and you still get nothing.
Stage 4 to Sestola had decent GC action two years back and that was an extremely similar finale in terms of profile, also off the back of a huge battle to get into the break, with better breakaway action to boot. Yes, the weather wasn't as bad today, but I don't think having higher expectations than nothing happening in the peloton on that final climb coupled with a lame fight for the stage is on me...

Reactions: Monte Serra
TV team is the Sporza team, including motards/cameras. Organisation hired them.

I don't think it's particularly nice that you and lots of others keep calling every motorcycle rider a motard.

Unless it's actually a real word but as I understand it, it's an amalgamation of motorcyclist and genius.

Edit: Apparently, the new site now censors the word r*tard and writes genius instead... Pretty daft.

Well, one might argue that Ineos was trying to prevent a late Remco attack with their pacing, but more realistically they were just programmed 15 years ago and haven't been updated since.
Honestly, I think you’re exactly right. There was no pint for them executing a “keep the pace high so there’s no attacks” —it was just because it’s Ineos/Sky.

I mean I guess it does discourage attacks because it tells the other riders, okay we’ll pull for these last 5 Km so you don’t have to do any work.

Reactions: BR2 and noob
Live interview from the Quickstep car

5feab358ec90530a4c2434fa2365107ec1c4cb4f

Why do you even watch cycling with that mindset? Its a hard day, and I like this stage better than all the headwind Etna stuff they usually go with
They should put some proper mountain stages in the first 2 weeks(except for crans montana). It's possible to do better mountain stages than lago laceno and campo imperatore. The TTs are fine, but they should do also proper medium mountain stages, echelon stage, stage with cobbles. Some diversity to make a more exciting race.

They should put some proper mountain stages in the first 2 weeks(except for crans montana). It's possible to do better mountain stages than lago laceno and campo imperatore. The TTs are fine, but they should do also proper medium mountain stages, echelon stage, stage with cobbles. Some diversity to make a more exciting race.

I take it you haven't studied the route for stage 8 particularly closely?

And how can you blame an Italian race for not designing echelon stages?