• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 5: Atripalda - Salerno 171 km (Wednesday, May 10th)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Anyone who understands logic would read everything. As i said, the Trek rider travels sideways harder and faster.

Here is how demonstrably false they are:

rev-trek-girozydo3.jpg
This is worse than armpit-hair-VAR

Anyone who understands logic would read everything. As i said, the Trek rider travels sideways harder and faster.

rev-trek-girozydo3.jpg
Can you translate this comment from Vervaeke better than Google can?

I have no idea what this means
""Remco's first fall was not bad, we still have to wait for the second. How did the second happen? Remco heard his name and wanted to leave the drumming. That made him look to the right, but Kirsch (Trek-Segafredo, ed.) - and that's not my best friend - cut off his pace.""

rev-trek-girozydo3.jpg
Do you ride? Have you raced?

You're responsible for your front wheel, and you're also responsible for looking where you're going befoe you move, not after. Remco looked left and swerved right, right into the trajectory of the Trek Rider.

Can you translate this comment from Vervaeke better than Google can?

I have no idea what this means
""Remco's first fall was not bad, we still have to wait for the second. How did the second happen? Remco heard his name and wanted to leave the drumming. That made him look to the right, but Kirsch (Trek-Segafredo, ed.) - and that's not my best friend - cut off his pace.""
"Someone called Remco's name. Remco doesn't want to hinder the sprinters so he looked to make sure he could move out of the way. Hirsch cut off his front wheel, and he already wasn't my best friend."

The Trek rider was looking where he was going...Infantapoel was not. He was looking in the opposite directon when he started his move, and your picture does not represent that reality.
You said that "Evenepoel's swerve is not that severe untill the Trek rider clips him" was demonstrably false. Yet it is your claim that proves to be demonstrably false. His swerve was not that severe. Only after his wheel was clipped, which is after the incident that caused the crash, did he have no longer control over his bike and did he swerve severely. His initial swerve is not severe and as shown on the images for anyone who has their eyes open, not nearly as hard as the swerve of the Trek rider. The Trek rider comes from behind, so obviously he can see Evenepoel. If Evenepoel swerved into his trajectory, he swerved much harder into Evenepoel's trajectory.

Again, i'm not saying Evenepoel is without blame, but the "100% completely his own fault" comments are laughable. The Trek rider shares the blame.

Last edited:
Reactions: LucVdB
lol at all the name calling for someone who fell, is in pain and afraid of not completing the Giro. always better to be a fan, then an anti-fan.

I'm not even sure if remco would have looked in front of him he wouldn't have crashed. He would have probably swerved to the other side when the trek rider showed up on his right and he might have crashed to the left.

This was clearly an unfortunate incident where Remco went to the right to peel off, while the trek rider didn't expect that and was riding as if Remco would have stayed in that group. Remco looking left because someone yelled his name, yeh. Maybe someone wanted to have the space where remco was for the sprint.
Unfortunate accident and hopefully the riders involved can continue riding. Doesn't seem well for Remco on that front. Would be suprised if he doesn't loose time before the rest-day.

(also heard that the trek rider appolegized to Remco. no sure if they worked it out).

Tomorrow's stage will likely be cancelled because the time keepers will not yet have published the results of today's stage....
they were busy with Dainese so far. Give them another moment!

edit: and there's the result now:

rev-trek-girozydo3.jpg
I love images that have been cropped enough that we can't see where the sides of the road are. Makes it impossible to say whether the centre of both images are at the same point relative to the sides of the road, and also impossible to know whether it's deliberate if they aren't. But of course, someone as unbiased as you would never think of tampering with images like that, right?

You said "Evenepoel's swerve is not that severe untill the Trek rider clips him" was demonstrably false. Yet it is your claim that proves to be demonstrably false. His swerve was not that severe. Only after his wheel was clipped, which is after the incident that caused it, did he have no longer control over his bike and did he swerve severely. His initial swerve is not severe and as shown on the images for anyone who has their eyes open, not nearly as hard as the swerve of the Trek rider. The Trek rider comes from behind, so obviously he can see Evenepoel.

Again, i'm not saying Evenepoel is without blame, but the "100% completely his own fault" comments are laughable. The Trek rider shares the blame.
His swerve was severe...because he was looking left and moved right into the path of the Trek rider. I also indicted that the Trek rider made a mistake, but Remco made the biggest mistake.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I love images that have been cropped enough that we can't see where the sides of the road are. Makes it impossible to say whether the centre of both images are at the same point relative to the sides of the road, and also impossible to know whether it's deliberate if they aren't. But of course, someone as unbiased as you would never think of tampering with images like that, right?
Indeed. You can overlay both images if you want. They are scaled to size and pinned to match with the rider to Evenepoel's left as reference. Does it not fit your desired outcome? Does it not match your unbiased opinion?

Last edited: