• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 7: Capua - Gran Sasso d'Italia (Campo Imperatore), 218 km (Friday, May 12)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GC guys not going for for various reasons (wind, soft climb, backloaded Route etc) is one thing but what really annoys me what pathetic mindset so many teams have regarding breakaways. Outside of Jumbo and QS who have the two clear GC favorites by far surely every other WT team should be interested in at least getting chances to contest for stage wins. No ambition whatsoever.

As for the route, like many said this was to be expected but I'm still always surprised how little possibilities the Appenines seem to offer. I mean the central part has mountains up to 3000m, yet almost no attractive passes?
Central France also has the issue of putting bigger climbs together but at least the have these steep finishes like Puy Mary, Puy the Dome, Mende etc.

That's why you don't have nothing but flat for and hour at the start of a mountain stage, you get a weak breakaway.
I just don't believe in that excuse. We've seen crazy battles on flats at the start of mountain stages and it actually can make the battle bigger because it's harder to snap the elastic.

Every single team bar the Jumbo and Soudal should have been in for this, especially after Lago Laceno, the headwind, and both Roglic and Evenepoel implying in media they weren't really gonna go that hard today.

Reactions: Riek s
GC guys not going for for various reasons (wind, soft climb, backloaded Route etc) is one thing but what really annoys me what pathetic mindset so many teams have regarding breakaways. Outside of Jumbo and QS who have the two clear GC favorites by far surely every other WT team should be interested in at least getting chances to contest for stage wins. No ambition whatsoever.

As for the route, like many said this was to be expected but I'm still always surprised how little possibilities the Appenines seem to offer. I mean the central part has mountains up to 3000m, yet almost no attractive passes?
Central France also has the issue of putting bigger climbs together but at least the have these steep finishes like Puy Mary, Puy the Dome, Mende etc.
Migels told that the region is thin-inhabited. Guess that's the reason they are only few mountain passes.

Reactions: Unterlenkerfahrend
I think we should go back to the old first week of 5 or 6 flat sprint stages - 200 km each at least. At least we'd know what's coming. Next time someone complains about a flat stage, point them in the direction of today's stage.
Chapeau to Eolo, Bertie & Bais and shame on you Bora, UAE & Jumbo. Have teams already given up and believe Remco will win?

Reactions: Lequack
Remco got a first class ride off the mountain in a helicopter, while the lesser riders had to use a car

Fv891hEX0BMJlhp

Yes they have given up long ago, after the first stage actually. They know what's up and that they're going to lose.
It's the voodoo, is n't it? Mind control or zombies, "Many people who follow the voodoo religion today believe zombies are myths, but some believe zombies are people revived by a voodoo practitioner known as a bokor.

Bokors have a tradition of using herbs, shells, fish, animal parts, bones and other objects to create concoctions including “zombie powders,” which contain tetrodotoxin, a deadly neurotoxin found in pufferfish and some other marine species.

Used carefully at sub-lethal doses, the tetrodotoxin combination may cause zombie-like symptoms such as difficulty walking, mental confusion and respiratory problems."
There you go! :)

I just don't believe in that excuse. We've seen crazy battles on flats at the start of mountain stages and it actually can make the battle bigger because it's harder to snap the elastic.

Every single team bar the Jumbo and Soudal should have been in for this, especially after Lago Laceno, the headwind, and both Roglic and Evenepoel implying in media they weren't really gonna go that hard today.

It is a bit baffling that stage 4 was ridden as if all hell broke loose to get in the break. Maybe if remco would have still been in pink we might have had a successful break during the last climb.

Reactions: gunara
Remco got a first class ride off the mountain in a helicopter, while the lesser riders had to use a car

Fv891hEX0BMJlhp
Jonathan Vaughters was talking about that in commentary today. The Giro organisers laid on helicopters but teams had to pay for them and Vaughters said EF bought two seats and assumed that most other teams would pay for protected riders and let the rest go down the slow way.

EF tried on Tuesday and it backfired on them pretty badly!

while I can understand the Gc guys that want to attack on more serious climbs I really do not understand while world tour teams with no Gc goals today did not send riders in the break. I ask to not Italian guys here: is a giro stage win so underrated????

TRENDING THREADS