• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 9: Savignano sul Rubicone – Cesena 35 km ITT (Sunday, May 14th)

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Shame for the race but no surprise, in the post race interview yesterday he he looked like he'd spent 8 days at Tomorrowland.
Doubt he'll be at the Tour, getting his bum kicked by Pog and Vingegaard is probably not the best prep for the worlds.

• Sad
Reactions: noob and search
What bad news! We knew sth wasn't right but withdrawal after winning a stage and taking the pink is so disappointing. The race suffers a huge blow, hopefully he'll be ok soon and the race still delivers with Primoz and Ineos guys in form.
What are the COVID procedures now? Did he have to withdraw due to a positive? Or he simply withdrew due to his health state? (not hoping for fast recovery)

Reactions: Riek s
Did anyone wear the ciclamino on stage 4 of the 2014 Giro after Kittel decided the three Irish stages were enough for him? That should be a decent indicator.
No. Swift was in his Sky jersey.

BenSwift_3141028.jpg

If it wasn't for the rest day, normally no one would wear pink on Tuesday. I don't know if a leader has left on a rest day before.
Did anyone wear the ciclamino on stage 4 of the 2014 Giro after Kittel decided the three Irish stages were enough for him? That should be a decent indicator.

It's up to the jury to decide, according to UCI rules. So I'd guess Thomas will wear pink.

"2.6.018 [...] In the situation where the leader of a classification does not take the start of a stage, the virtual leader of the relevant classification is allowed to wear the related distinctive jersey, subject to the consent of both the organiser and the president of the commissaires’ panel."

It's up to the jury to decide, according to UCI rules. So I'd guess Thomas will wear pink.

"2.6.018 [...] In the situation where the leader of a classification does not take the start of a stage, the virtual leader of the relevant classification is allowed to wear the related distinctive jersey, subject to the consent of both the organiser and the president of the commissaires’ panel."
By that, only one of: the president of the commisassaires' panel, the organiser, or the rider who is the virtual leader would have to decline for Thomas not to wear pink. I guess it's usually the rider who declines?

After all, the custom of not wearing the jersey in such cases was initiated by riders.

By that, only one of: the president of the commisassaires' panel, the organiser, or the rider who is the virtual leader would have to decline for Thomas not to wear pink. I guess it's usually the rider who declines?

After all, the custom of not wearing the jersey in such cases was initiated by riders.
not sure if "is allowed to" means that the virtual leader really has much of a say in it. I'd think the organisers tells the commissaire that they'd like the jersey to be present, and then the UCI says yes.

Didn't we have a similar situation in Tour de Pologne* or so during the past couple of years? I seem to remember that someone didn't want to wear the jersey but had to.

*Edit: after Jakobsen's crash:

Knock on wood, but given where we are in 2023, no one really expects Evenepoel's situation to be life-threatening, and it's early enough in the race that it doesn't feel like whoever wears it stole it from him. And I doubt he cares in the slightest if someone else wears the jersey tomorrow.

If Thomas had lost the stage by three seconds and the jersey had gone to Roglic, then maybe would it be a different story, and Primoz might at least try to decline wearing it for a day out of some sense of respect for Remco's misfortune. But given Thomas' career arc, his relationship with the Giro, and the fact that Ganna just tested positive, I would think most critics would be hard-pressed to muster up the outrage to direct at him for taking advantage of this chance of wearing the maglia rosa. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Remco Evenepoel for the win and sad to hear he had to abandon Giro due to illness. There will be plenty other opportunity in the future.

Surprisingly close ITT among the favorites. Rogla got us worried there for a while but all was well at the end. Thomas, Hart and Küng all gutted for not taking the stage win. Now that the first part is over with week 2 a totally different Giro on the menu.

Yes, but Remco became a cyclist young and is still young so isn't a valid comparison. Roglič is, but he didn't really massively change the type of rider he is, his discovery of how good a TTer he was when he moved from Adria Mobil to whatever Jumbo were called at the time was the crazy thing with him more than anything else; he's still pretty much the same rider he was when he first turned pro. We had a decade of knowing what Thomas was like as a rider, and then he changed it completely and the 37 year old Thomas is completely unrecognisable from the 27 year old Thomas that in theory should have been his peak years.

If Rogla would be the same rider when he left Adria Mobil. Compared to now. In that case i am rather sure he would be riding for Ineos . As back then they were not interested in signing him. All in all it was just constant evolution for Rogla. Regardless of the circumstances, he adapted.

Reactions: Carols
If Rogla would be the same rider when he left Adria Mobil. Compared to now. In that case i am rather sure he would be riding for Ineos . As back then they were not interested in signing him. All in all it was just constant evolution for Rogla. Regardless of the circumstances, he adapted.

When Roglic wanted a team he was proposed as a prospect but signing him was shot down, calling him a project, doesn't even know how to grab a bottle, doesn't know how to ride in the the peloton. yada.
This was J Vaughters proposing him for EF! He could have changed them into a winning team like he did Jumbo!!

Reactions: CyclistAbi
Knock on wood, but given where we are in 2023, no one really expects Evenepoel's situation to be life-threatening, and it's early enough in the race that it doesn't feel like whoever wears it stole it from him. And I doubt he cares in the slightest if someone else wears the jersey tomorrow.

If Thomas had lost the stage by three seconds and the jersey had gone to Roglic, then maybe would it be a different story, and Primoz might at least try to decline wearing it for a day out of some sense of respect for Remco's misfortune. But given Thomas' career arc, his relationship with the Giro, and the fact that Ganna just tested positive, I would think most critics would be hard-pressed to muster up the outrage to direct at him for taking advantage of this chance of wearing the maglia rosa. As always, YMMV.
Is it much different to Froome not wearing yellow after Tony Martin crashed in Le Havre and didn't start the next day in 2015?

Is it much different to Froome not wearing yellow after Tony Martin crashed in Le Havre and didn't start the next day in 2015?
I forgot about that. But then again, it's the type of scenario where it becomes very subjective. Martin was really dying for that yellow jersey, there wasn't a rest day in between, a broken clavicle is a bit more of an injury than covid, Froome was the overwhelming favorite on the dominant team, and the next day was a sunny flat sprint with very little chance of Froome not ending up in yellow at the end. And I guess the two biggest factors for me are that there's COVID going around so Thomas could drop out at any time and Thomas has never won the Giro so wearing the jersey is a bit more special for him.

But again, YMMV, it's a personal choice, and to me, it represents their personalities. Froome was the self-assured rising star of the sport and strikes me as a more polite chap perhaps given to a certain noblesse oblige while Thomas seems to carry more of a chip on his shoulder even onto his last few seasons and has always played the part of a brass-tacks, hard-nosed, pint-in-hand type of bloke with more of a penchant for the pragmatic.

TRENDING THREADS