• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? First rest day poll.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2023 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So Remco isn't really sick. At least it doesn't seem so from the news so far. And there are no rules from UCI forcing him to withdraw. So this is all on QS, their rigid rules and team doctors. What a freakin joke!!

right.... he looked like someone who pulled multiple all nighters and had a hangover. They tested because he had symptoms, symptoms for which they could exclude the crash. (Might have mistaken early issues and attributed that to the crash.

Picked TGH ftw. He seems in fantastic form climbing and TT. And he showed more progression in his TT compared to the others, so building up nicely it seems. He is my favorite to win the MTT at the end

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
right.... he looked like someone who pulled multiple all nighters and had a hangover. They tested because he had symptoms, symptoms for which they could exclude the crash. (Might have mistaken early issues and attributed that to the crash.

Picked TGH ftw. He seems in fantastic form climbing and TT. And he showed more progression in his TT compared to the others, so building up nicely it seems. He is my favorite to win the MTT at the end
wrong, but am not surprised at the narrative; "As part of the team's protocol, I took a routine test, which unfortunately was positive."

wrong, but am not surprised at the narrative; "As part of the team's protocol, I took a routine test, which unfortunately was positive."
So what's your narrative?
That the team benefits from withdrawing its (only) star from his main goal of the season?

Team's protocol might dictate riders take a test in case of specific symptoms. Both his performance in the past few days and his look during yesterday's press conference suggest he was indeed sick.

routine test doesn't mean they routinely test people

Remco said after the TT he thinks he is becoming ill, then they tested.

Will you retract your incorrect statement about narrative since you are wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: search
I fear so, but wouldn't that be the perfect train for Roglic to take a ride?

Roglič needs merely to decide when to take the jersey.

Jumbo will want to knock out one of the two Ineos guys so I assume Friday will be the day. He probably won't even have the luxury of choice either, i.e. when the race goes uphill there's no standing around just because they don't want pink yet. Jumbo must be ready to take the jersey & defend it because it'll come sooner now that Evenepoel is out.

routine test doesn't mean they routinely test people

Remco said after the TT he thinks he is becoming ill, then they tested.

Will you retract your incorrect statement about narrative since you are wrong?
that is exactly what routine test is

Interesting to see if INEOS is able to play their cards right. At first Jumbo could also rely on Quickstep to help reign in anyone that tries to get away. That ship has sailed so they have to do it themselves. And since this is the D team for Jumbo not sure they will be able to actually do that.

It's INEOS's Giro to lose at the moment.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
and than says to reporters ""As part of the team's protocol, I took a routine test, which unfortunately was positive."; that is the only fact here, being ill doesnt mean you have covid
Yes, covid test is a routine test when you are sick with symptoms that could point to covid.

Just like a prostate exam is a routine test unrelated if it is a preemtive checkup or a checkup to verify if it is that or something else. its the test that is routine, not the interval

Reactions: Sciatic
Rumor has it, that sales of face-masks have increased dramatically in Italy. We all laughed at Vingegaard back in February but he must have known something. Now that Remco has gone home, Pozzovivo moves, ninja like, into the top 20 on GC.
Roglic still has Kuss, G has Hart (who sounds deeply depressed in interviews - what's up with him?), Bora, UAE & Bahrain seem to all be in a mess. As I wrote before "Remco to win on the flat and Roglic to win on the climbs", it seems I have to pick Roglic now that the TT's are over (apart from the MTT on stage 20 if it goes ahead).

Interesting to see if INEOS is able to play their cards right. At first Jumbo could also rely on Quickstep to help reign in anyone that tries to get away. That ship has sailed so they have to do it themselves. And since this is the D team for Jumbo not sure they will be able to actually do that.

It's INEOS's Giro to lose at the moment.
Hold on, we haven't even had a proper climb yet. You can come up with any tactic you like, you still have to have the legs to do it. Geraint Thomas isn't known for his daring long range attacks.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS