• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? Pre-race poll.

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2022 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Two reasons why Gloag possibly wasn't considered:
- This is one of the harderst GT routes in recent years and you don't normally send a neo pro to such GTs. He could feel trash by the end of the second week and abandon
- Gloag is a terrible descender and technical skills might prove handy in multi mountain stages

Reactions: yaco
Two reasons why Gloag possibly wasn't considered:
- This is one of the harderst GT routes in recent years and you don't normally send a neo pro to such GTs. He could feel trash by the end of the second week and abandon
- Gloag is a terrible descender and technical skills might prove handy in multi mountain stages
He was Gesinks roommate in Romandie.

I believe he did prepare to be an alternate.

Yes you don't normally send neo pro's to such GTs but at the same time he won't have to pull on most days and he can take it very easy when dropped. Being a very good climber should mean that if you take a Gruppetto ride it shouldn't be too hard on you

Reactions: SafeBet
And still the usual suspects around the Forum spinning the "it's not bad luck" concerning the outcome of this Giro.

Does Roglic catch a break or what? I can't tell if he's favoured or cursed by God.

I'm just here counting down the hours until the team presentation & Giro itself, waiting for the (what seems like) inevitable "Unfortunately Rogla has tested positive for Covid & won't be able... bla bla bla" tweet from JV.

Call me superstitious, but there's a bad omen (sh*t pun, I know) about all this.

I'm just here counting down the hours until the team presentation & Giro itself, waiting for the (what seems like) inevitable "Unfortunately Rogla has tested positive for Covid & won't be able... bla bla bla" tweet from JV.

Call me superstitious, but there's a bad omen (sh*t pun, I know) about all this.
Roglic finished 1 of his last 4 GT's.

* Insert Jaws theme *

• Haha
Reactions: greyclouds
And still the usual suspects around the Forum spinning the "it's not bad luck" concerning the outcome of this Giro.

Does Roglic catch a break or what? I can't tell if he's favoured or cursed by God.
Maybe try to read what Keyser Soze was saying and to what his reply was. The point was made that Roglic should get better support as he was a leader at a better team by merit and that Evenepoel should change teams if he wants a better team. Reality is that Roglic is only 2nd in line at this better team, by merit. Hence he has to ride the Giro with a B team. This has nothing to do with luck. When Kelderman gets replaced, that means they are not going to replace him with Van Aert, but with a B team replacement.

As for teammates falling ill right before the start, i said it is just like Masnada and Schmid falling ill in the past 2 weeks at Quick-Step. The difference being that they were part of 10 candidates and the team did not announce the definite team until 2 days ago, whereas Jumbo announced their team months ago.

But my main point was, that since Roglic is not the only super favorite, there will be another team doing controlling the race, closing breaks, chasing Ineos attacks... And that as long as Roglic has Kuss by his side, that the rest of the team getting replaced should not impact his chances that much.

Why do you write three whole paragraphs to spin out the fact there were quality and depth laden reasons to choose some riders over others?

The fact that such riders have become unavailable due to illness is the very hallmark of bad luck for one team and good luck for others. That's the way chance plays out. Under normal circumstances, such riders would perform their alloted duties as teammates better - i.e., they would grant more chances to their leader Roglic - than the ones now selected. Of course when one has a better (even if a B team) team, chances are that dropouts are more hits to your overall luck than when you already have a mediocre team.

These are facts. If you or other users see them as excuses in the making for Remco, there is nothing more I can say.

I remember sometime when Roglic said something like better than bad luck happens in the start of a GT than later. Something like karma levelling out...then he crashed.

Last edited:
My take is that you just can't help yourself being verbose while making no point whatosever....three whole paragraphs for stating that the whole thing "should not impact his chances that much". The point is that you don't know but better riders favour better chances. Jeez.
As the 2020 TDF showed, right. Most of the work his better team would otherwise have been doing, will now simply be done by other teams. As long as his main guy in the final is there, the impact of the other riders will be minimal, unless he gets caught out in echelons or behind a crash and needs to be brought back.

Basically the same scenario as in Catalunya could play out. SQS doing the work, Roglic just tagging along, staying in Evenepoel's wheel, until the final 20 meters. Same way Pogacar won his first TDF.

Last edited:
As the 2020 TDF showed, right. Most of the work his better team would otherwise have been doing, will now simply be done by other teams. As long as his main guy in the final is there, the impact of the other riders will be minimal, unless he gets caught out in echelons or behind a crash and needs to be brought back.

Basically the same scenario as in Catalunya could play out. SQS doing the work, Roglic just tagging along, staying in Evenepoel's wheel, until the final 20 meters. Same way Pogacar won his first TDF.
Sorry to break it to you, but what you wrote is very embarrassing.

It's like stating that teams and their range, depth and performance are not very important and don't play out a role. It's a far fetched idea that goes against DS's acumen in choosing the best availabe riders for a GT and your own classification of A team, B team.

TRENDING THREADS