• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 Tour de France route rumors

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
1998_profil-16.jpg
Am I the only one to whom this is shown as an empty post. Based on the post by @Unterlenkerfahrend I suppose it had something to do with the 1998 stage?

2010 stage was alright.
It was but they didn't even use the hard side of Madeleine that year. The only two times in recent history (with which I mean, since I'm watching the Tour) the south side was used was in 2013 with 3 climbs still to come after it, and 2020 with only one climb to come after it, but that climb being the Col de la Loze

If the crossed over into Italy before the Agnel would also be a great Pass, maybe even with a short uphill finish in Saint-Veran.
The Izoard is probably a bit underrated as a pass, from South with an uphill finish in Briancon is a great stage.
Are there rumors of a passage into Italy?

I know of a nice looking observatory above Saint-Veran that's on my wishlist of things I'll never see.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Col de la Loze seems fairly likely next year. And as a MTF, not a pass. Especially if they do the Alps the last week.

Perhaps it could be followed by a last mountain stage to Morzine ending via Joux-Plane?

Also hoping for a big southern Alps stage, but that is perhaps more likely if they enter the Alps from the north? Especially if they were to include Bonette?

Last edited:
Reactions: rallybanana
I think Col de la Loze seems fairly likely next year. And as a MTF, not a pass. Especially if they do the Alps the last week.

Yeah, I even think it;s highly likely.

I hope (but don;t think) they will use it as a pass, but from the other (Courchevel) side. I don't like the Méribel side... but it's good for meaningless hype, I guess.

I suppose it could work as a Unipuerto type stage in between harder mountain stages. But yeah, probably another queen stage MTF type of deal...

I hope (but don;t think) they will use it as a pass, but from the other (Courchevel) side. I don't like the Méribel side... but it's good for meaningless hype, I guess.

I suppose it could work as an Unipuerto type stage in between harder mountain stages. But yeah, probably another queen stage MTF type of deal...
How is the road from the Courchevel side? Did they fix both sides a couple of years ago, or just from Meribel? And how it is different from Courchevel making that side better?

I think a couple of mountain stages ending with a climb like Col de la Loze is okay. A finish at Tourmalet/Plateau de Beille/Ventoux and Loze would be okay if the rest of the mountain stages were properly designed and encouraging long range attacks. But knowing ASO, that probably won't happen.

I suppose it could work as a Unipuerto type stage in between harder mountain stages. But yeah, probably another queen stage MTF type of deal...
I think it will only be used again with a finish nearby, so I think the best use is to do it 1½ times with the finish at Méribel.

How is the road from the Courchevel side? Did they fix both sides a couple of years ago, or just from Meribel? And how it is different from Courchevel making that side better?

I think a couple of mountain stages ending with a climb like Col de la Loze is okay. A finish at Tourmalet/Plateau de Beille/Ventoux and Loze would be okay if the rest of the mountain stages were properly designed and encouraging long range attacks. But knowing ASO, that probably won't happen.

Similar road (bike path).

LozeE_.gif

They did both sides, so it's definitely doable. Courchevel side is 4,5km longer with 1% lower average gradient and less steep ramps (also uglier because it goes through the ski resort). Descent to Meribel would be interesting because very technical but I don't think they'll do that, they'll want a MTT for epicness.

They did both sides, so it's definitely doable. Courchevel side is 4,5km longer with 1% lower average gradient and less steep ramps (also uglier because it goes through the ski resort). Descent to Meribel would be interesting because very technical but I don't think they'll do that, they'll want a MTT for epicness.
Thanks. The best version of using Col de la Loze would of course be as someone suggested yesterday; Madeleine, Loze as a pass and then a finish at Courchevel-La Tania or even Pralognan la Vanoise. Still, I would be satisfied if the last two mountain stages were Loze as a MTF followed by a big last stage to Morzine via Joux-Plane.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

Perhaps it could be followed by a last mountain stage to Morzine ending via Joux-Plane?

Also hoping for a big southern Alps stage, but that is perhaps more likely if they enter the Alps from the north? Especially if they were to include Bonette?

I'd think the big southern Alpine stage comes on the final stage of 2024, with the finish in Nice. No ceremonial stage then

Joux-Plane returning would not go amiss- maybe with the Joux-Verte and a couple of
Other climbs in that area which are rarely used.
Joux Plane - Joux Verte is up there with the sequences of climbs I most want to see in a Grand Tour. It's basically a poor mans Fedaia - Podoi but you know, if a mansion is a poor mans castle I'd still take it over college dorms.

Joux Plane - Joux Verte is up there with the sequences of climbs I most want to see in a Grand Tour. It's basically a poor mans Fedaia - Podoi but you know, if a mansion is a poor mans castle I'd still take it over college dorms.
Should the stage end in Avoriaz or descend to Morzine? I would be satisfied if they did the same sequence of climbs as in the 2006 Tour.
Don't love Joux Plane honestly.

Climb I really wanna see back is Port de Paillheres.
Joux-Plane is one of the far better climbs in the Alps that they are proned to using. Rather than AdH, a Galibier descent finish or all of these 20 km, 6 % climbs. Besides Granon (which won't be used next year again) and Loze as a pass (which won't happen), Joux Plane and the Romme/Colomiere combo are two of the better mountain stages that could happen in the Alps.

Agree on Pailheres. Hope we'll see that Pailheres - Bonascre combo.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS