• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 Women's WT CQ Game

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Coming up with a team for this have proved to be an absolutely horrible task for me. I have been very close to simply picking riders with names starting with A (an A team, if you will) or only riders with hyphenated surnames to reduce the options!

I also thought about making a team of redheaded riders, but a certain someone would probably just criticise my selection.
Unless you expect me to go through the lists of women riders and pull out names beginning with A, you'll need to send me that team

Unless you expect me to go through the lists of women riders and pull out names beginning with A, you'll need to send me that team

I will send you my team when I've made my final decisions. Right now I have two teams. One of them most likely has a much better chance of winning than the other, but I like the other team more. Time will tell which one I go with.

And today I woke up to the news that Linda Indergand wanted to follow me on Instagram, which almost made me add her, before I realised it obviously wasn't the real Linda Indergand.

Right now I have two teams. One of them most likely has a much better chance of winning than the other, but I like the other team more. Time will tell which one I go with.

Why not just go half-half?

And today I woke up to the news that Linda Indergand wanted to follow me on Instagram, which almost made me add her, before I realised it obviously wasn't the real Linda Indergand.

Another "fake Geraint Thomas" situation?

Why not just go half-half?

The "good" team actually does have a few of the same riders in it already, but I'm not a fan of the overall strategy, which I will reveal after the deadline, no matter which of the teams I pick.

Another "fake Geraint Thomas" situation?

Where the "fake" Geraint Thomas is actually called that, I highly doubt the owner of this account is called Linda Indergand in real life.

Last edited:
Team sent in now. Im definetly not a expert in womens cycling, but had to give it a quick go and support the game. I have absolutely no expectations on doing well though and the limited race calendar in the game (that I first realised after finishing my team) probably also requires a lot of extra research that I did not have time for (with focus on the other games), but anyways it will be fun to see how it goes.

Should we do the same in this game as we do in the Main Game, where we list our riders for each race?
I look at so many lists of names I can't usually remember mine, so I never do that, but why not ? (but don't do it before the TDU, for reasons in the next post)
I am pleased that many entrants (like myself) are doing this more as an incentive to learn more about the women's races rather than from a position of knowledge, so such discussion might help us all learn.

Stage 1 of the Women's Tour Down Under starts at 11:30 am local time on Sunday which Google tells me is 1 am GMT/UTC. That means there is a bit over 48 hours to go for entries here. But as I said on the Emerging Riders thread when I put up the 48 hour warning, I won't be working on it until the morning (I am in UK), so you can squeeze through entries for a few hours after that deadline, but please don't include participants in the TDU if you take advantage of my sleeping.

Please wait until I post the teams before you post or discuss yours, for the same reason.

As with the Emerging Riders game, just decided to enter the game this year (my first CQ game) and I'm really looking forward to be more aware of the women's scene because of it.

I'm not as big a follower of women's road cycling as I am of MTB and CX and so I'm not really confident of having a very successful season, but let's go for it!

Reactions: postmanhat
I look at so many lists of names I can't usually remember mine, so I never do that, but why not ? (but don't do it before the TDU, for reasons in the next post)

Don't worry, I won't post it before you post all the teams.

As with the Emerging Riders game, just decided to enter the game this year

We're all entering the game for the first time this year.

I probably should have said in the 48 hour warning message:
so far we have 22 teams (although I see one more in my inbox), 117 riders of whom 64 are unique picks (I think that is a significantly higher proportion than we usually see), while 7 are on more than half the teams, including one on more than 90% (but not mine).

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I can't wait for the teams to be revealed. Good luck to everyone who enters!

If anyone reading this thread shold be interested, you're also very much welcomed to join the women's prediction game, that I've been running the past two years. It lacks well crafted spreadsheets and it requires a bit more work during the season, but with only four confirmed players at the moment, you'll be in with a very good shot of a top 5 finish.

It is good that most of us are lacking in deeper knowledge of the womens game. So many of us are on the same playing field. I'm sure there are a few that will blow us away with their much better following of womens cycling. Maybe the fact that it is only WT/GT races that will be counted will even it out. It is even harder to research and predict who will race and get their points in those. Makes it risker to pick the young blood coming into the WWT. But I'm in!

If anyone reading this thread shold be interested, you're also very much welcomed to join the women's prediction game, that I've been running the past two years. It lacks well crafted spreadsheets and it requires a bit more work during the season, but with only four confirmed players at the moment, you'll be in with a very good shot of a top 5 finish.

Scoring-system is also much more likely to change.