• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2024 Giro d'Italia route rumours

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Agnello, finestre, Gavia, Stelvio, mortirolo, Nivolet, fauniera. Any of those please.

Etna guaranteed?
I mean, you could make an absurd Etna tappone with 6,000m of altitude gain and 3-4 different sides of the climb.
https://www.cronoescalada.com/tracks/view/17910

Realisticly, I just wanna use the side that I used as the penultimate climb as a MTF
EtnaSapienzaSE.gif

One thing is pretty much certain, we won't see Montecampione. Last winter the ski station stayed closed because of it's financial problems.

If they finish in Rome again I genuinely hope they will try a Giro route with the Alps before the 3rd week again. Don't think I've ever had a stronger opinion about the Giro organizers backloading their routes than now.

Aside from that, I mean I can just reiterate the same things already mentioned by others. I'd really like a return of the Fauniera, but also of the Finestre and the correct side of the Mortirolo. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another Zoncolan finish (also from it's proper side again) and my dream of Pradaccio - Abetone is ever present. Also, I don't know how motivated the organizers will be to climb another huge pass linking two countries after this years disaster, but the Rettenbachferner is still to be conquered by the Giro. Just saying.

If they finish in Rome again I genuinely hope they will try a Giro route with the Alps before the 3rd week again. Don't think I've ever had a stronger opinion about the Giro organizers backloading their routes than now.

Aside from that, I mean I can just reiterate the same things already mentioned by others. I'd really like a return of the Fauniera, but also of the Finestre and the correct side of the Mortirolo. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another Zoncolan finish (also from it's proper side again) and my dream of Pradaccio - Abetone is ever present. Also, I don't know how motivated the organizers will be to climb another huge pass linking two countries after this years disaster, but the Rettenbachferner is still to be conquered by the Giro. Just saying.
We should really try to talk Sölden into paying for an Ötztaler Granfondo stage. If they pay for the stage they'll open the Timmelsjoch (since they charge a road toll on the Austrian side).

IMO the Giro will usually have the Alpes near the end because that's where the money is/people are willing to pay good money for mountain stages. Maybe central Italy could work, but in the South only Sicily seems to be willing to invest decent money into cycling.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I fear that a Zoncolan MTF or MTT is more likely than using Finestre og Mortirolo. The last three versions have showed that RCS now seem overfocused on steep MTFs. Zoncolan would fit very nicely into that. The same for Rettenbachferner. Not the others you mention.

I honestly think if Pogacar wins the Tour this year and the Giro throws him enough bones (like a stage in Slovenia) Pogacar riding the Giro is a very real chance. Maybe they will finally make a stage to Planica to also attract a certain ski jumper.
This, I've been campaigning for Wurzenpass-Planica for ages! Honestly, Jumbo would probably send Roglic to the Giro to wear Pogacar down before the Tour anyway, if Pogi actually went for the double.

This, I've been campaigning for Wurzenpass-Planica for ages! Honestly, Jumbo would probably send Roglic to the Giro to wear Pogacar down before the Tour anyway, if Pogi actually went for the double.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NebwdWlgXNk

Bring it on. Cycling next to a ski flying hill.

San Pellegrino in Alpe - Abetone finish on stage 19.
Montalcino sterrato stage on stage 20.
Yip. That's one of the best combos in cycling.

You could have a Torinostyle stage in Genova the sunday before Rome with Passo della Bocchetta & Madonna della Guardia. From there you work yourself south...

Nerone, Catria, Petrano, Prati di Ragnolo, Lanciano/Mailetta, Faito, Vesuvio...

A bit south of Rome you could have a descent stage around Lago Albano and Lago di Nemi.

No need for silly hours on the autostrada from Friuli...

Honestly don't see Pogacar racing the Giro anytime soon. Vegni has been trying to get him for years. Appearance fees won't move his needle nearly as much as Evenepoel or Lefevere, and i think the main reason he picks his schedule as it is is because he can limit opportunity costs before the Tour. I also don't think stages in Slovenia will do that much for him.

He has also never really flirted with going to the Vuelta after the Tour, so there's that too.

I feel the only thing that makes him more likely to go to the Giro is the fact that he won De Ronde.

Finally, I think he'll like the challenge of the Tour against Vingegaard more than winning a Giro by 10 minutes if none of the other big hitters show up

Honestly don't see Pogacar racing the Giro anytime soon. Vegni has been trying to get him for years. Appearance fees won't move his needle nearly as much as Evenepoel or Lefevere, and i think the main reason he picks his schedule as it is is because he can limit opportunity costs before the Tour. I also don't think stages in Slovenia will do that much for him.

He has also never really flirted with going to the Vuelta after the Tour, so there's that too.

I feel the only thing that makes him more likely to go to the Giro is the fact that he won De Ronde.

Finally, I think he'll like the challenge of the Tour against Vingegaard more than winning a Giro by 10 minutes if none of the other big hitters show up
Pretty sure he also said he loves racing in Italy and due to him prefering the variety of different challenges I think we'll see him in the Giro pretty soon, either 2024 or 2025. It's not that he loves the Tour eternally, I think the talk is more about how UAE plays a big role in pushing him to continue going to the Tour because for them it's obviously the main event.
I think not doing Vuelta has more to do with the specific circumstances. 2020 was never on the menu, 2021 he focused on Olympics straight after the Tour and was pretty open about being empty afterwards. 2022 I think they originally toyed with the idea of doing the double but after all he was just too empty at the end of the Tour.

Either way, I think when Pogacar will do the Giro first time he'll skip the Tour and do Vuelta which should certainly suit him given that he normally has a slump after the Tour but returns with great late season form. He hasn't even tried the Tour-Vuelta double yet because his post-GT form hasn't been great so I doubt he'd throw away the opportunity to have a fresh Vuelta attempt before attempting Giro-Tour double.

Pretty sure he also said he loves racing in Italy and due to him prefering the variety of different challenges I think we'll see him in the Giro pretty soon, either 2024 or 2025. It's not that he loves the Tour eternally, I think the talk is more about how UAE plays a big role in pushing him to continue going to the Tour because for them it's obviously the main event.
I think not doing Vuelta has more to do with the specific circumstances. 2020 was never on the menu, 2021 he focused on Olympics straight after the Tour and was pretty open about being empty afterwards. 2022 I think they originally toyed with the idea of doing the double but after all he was just too empty at the end of the Tour.

Either way, I think when Pogacar will do the Giro first time he'll skip the Tour and do Vuelta which should certainly suit him given that he normally has a slump after the Tour but returns with great late season form. He hasn't even tried the Tour-Vuelta double yet because his post-GT form hasn't been great so I doubt he'd throw away the opportunity to have a fresh Vuelta attempt before attempting Giro-Tour double.
Makes sense.

I do think bad post GT form is necessarily that he can't do 2 in a row but I think he would need to tune down his spring for that.

You could have a Torinostyle stage in Genova the sunday before Rome with Passo della Bocchetta & Madonna della Guardia. From there you work yourself south...

Nerone, Catria, Petrano, Prati di Ragnolo, Lanciano/Mailetta, Faito, Vesuvio...

A bit south of Rome you could have a descent stage around Lago Albano and Lago di Nemi.

No need for silly hours on the autostrada from Friuli...
Would be rather cool, but will never happen. Another interesting but perhaps not very plausible option would be to bypass the Dolomites and its surroundings more or less totally. That is no Friuli, Veneto or Trentino stages.

Week 1: South and/or as long north as Marche or Emilia-Romagna.
Week 2: Eastern Lombardia, a medium mountain stage around Lago Como or Maggiore. Aosta and Piemonte. Mountain stage in Aosta and finish the week with Finestre-Sestriere.
Week 3: Hilly stage around Genova or along the Liguarian coast. Then the San Pellegrino in Alpe-Abetone and the Montalcino stagee before finishing in Rome.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS