• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

32ème édition du Tour de l'Ain (2.1) // August 7th - 9th 2020

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ee0wl41XYAEdLlo

based on what
I would've blindly agreed until last Vuelta. But Roglic didn't really show any sign of weakness there.

I think it depends a lot on if Dumoulin makes a leap from his Sunweb days. And I think Dumoulin has shown his TT falls off much less when tired than Roglic' might.

Both are way better bets than Kruijswijk though, and I'd go as far as saying Kruijswijk has limited tactical value outside of being an optional domestique

Also just learned something new on Eurosport: Hanninen was runner-up at the World Championship in 2018 behind Evenepoel!
Bet you didn't know that, huh, DNP-Old?
The entire Eurosport cast are just next level trash, all of them. How do you watch so much cycling, but still don't know anything about it? Honestly, any Belgian or Dutch person should support Evenepoel into oblivion, no matter how arrogant of whatever they think he is. He might be the one to get Sporza to invest big time into cycling (again). Though it must be said that Wuyts and José, unfortunately, don't have eternal life either, and I fear that when their time comes, the ever so clueless Ruben Van Gucht will take over, with the walking-cliché-man Sven Nys as his right hand.

Chris Picavet is the true heir to the throne.

If I were Jumbo I would be behind Dumoulin as he for me is the better GT rider ..well he was

Roglic won the Vuelta but there was no competition and everyone one made the kid Podgcar look amasing .At the Giro last year Roga ran out of steam while marked by the Shark and was in the shade of Carapaz

Dumoulin has beaten the shark and Quintana in the GT and was very close in GT to Froome and Thomas without a team

I think he has the edge

But which will ride for the other when push comes to shove ?

If I were Jumbo I would be behind Dumoulin as he for me is the better GT rider ..well he was

Roglic won the Vuelta but there was no competition and everyone one made the kid Podgcar look amasing .At the Giro last year Roga ran out of steam while marked by the Shark and was in the shade of Carapaz

Dumoulin has beaten the shark and Quintana in the GT and was very close in GT to Froome and Thomas without a team

I think he has the edge

On the other hand, Dumoulin did have that injury which ruined his 2019 season, while Roglic was basically unstoppable and arguably was the best rider of the year, winning UAE Tour, Tirreno, Romandie, Vuelta, Emilia and Tre Valli Varesine, while finishing 3rd in the Giro.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

I think he has the edge

Seriously Bernal beat his own teammate with a single GT top 5 and a guy riding his first podium. Roglic from the Vuelta probably wins the Tour if he rides it. He impressed me with his consistency in the Vuelta.

The worst that can happen is Roglic starts better and then fades and Jumbo realise too late Roglic isn't gonna win.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Dumoulin might be a better choice in a Tour from 2000's. Two 50k flat TTs, almost no medium mountains/muritos/steep classics finishes. 5-6 mountain stages with long shallow climbs above 2000 meters. The route this year is the complete opposite. Only two real mountain stages with a MTF, plenty of steep ramps, mountains and hills from stage 1 to stage 20. Not a lot of chances to take huge time, plenty of chances to chip a couple of seconds if you have a strong finish. This suits Roglič down to a T.

Anyway, I think those two can coexist without one working for another per-se. But Kruijswijk will eventually have to go on domestique duty. With him, Kuss, Gesink, Bennet (and Van Aert who was apparenty amazing uphill in the training camp) doing the driving I see no need for etiher Roglič or Tom to work for one another as long as they are both high in the GC. But they can certainly work with each other. Which I think they might.

The entire Eurosport cast are just next level trash, all of them. How do you watch so much cycling, but still don't know anything about it? Honestly, any Belgian or Dutch person should support Evenepoel into oblivion, no matter how arrogant of whatever they think he is. He might be the one to get Sporza to invest big time into cycling (again). Though it must be said that Wuyts and José, unfortunately, don't have eternal life either, and I fear that when their time comes, the ever so clueless Ruben Van Gucht will take over, with the walking-cliché-man Sven Nys as his right hand.

Chris Picavet is the true heir to the throne.
TBH, all those options sound better than Roger De Vlaeminck, god he was terrible.

TRENDING THREADS