• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

32ème édition du Tour de l'Ain (2.1) // August 7th - 9th 2020

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ee4jRakXoAEcfSB

Ee4REepXsAAgb4I

Ee4m6i6XoAEvRs0

Ee4qeITX0AIeBwX

Ee4uSY-XgAA8Q3m

Ee41zLiXsAIq7Iz

Last edited:
The man is a GT winner, and probably the best rider in 2019. The route suits him down to the ground, yet you're saying Jumbo should focus on Dumoulin. Now why would they do that? Dumo didn't rode for over a year, there's certainly question mark around him. And on the other hand you have rider who's on top of his game for quite some time. I know who would be my main man, but doesn't mean they could not co-lead till at least end of 2nd week, or even beginning of the 3rd. By then picture should be much clearer, and the best man will emerge.
I'm also backing Roglic, as of right now, as far as team leadership is concerned. Not sure the Col de la Loze stage is perfect for him, however. (Not saying it's perfect for Dumoulin either, though. )

Agreed, though, that they need to keep Dumo as a backup. (and KW as a dedicated dom when he starts bleeding time, which should be by stage 4 already, if not stage 2 (ha))

Most obvious scenario is that both Rogla and Dumo fall short in the end. The Col de la Loze stage is "pure climber" / not-so-marginal gains territory. Gaps will likely be big.

I'm also backing Roglic, as of right now, as far as team leadership is concerned. Not sure the Col de la Loze stage is perfect for him, however. (Not saying it's perfect for Dumoulin either, though. )

Agreed, though, that they need to keep Dumo as a backup. (and KW as a dedicated dom when he starts bleeding time, which should be by stage 4 already, if not stage 2 (ha))

Most obvious scenario is that both Rogla and Dumo fall short in the end. The Col de la Loze stage is "pure climber" / not-so-marginal gains territory. Gaps will likely be big.
It entirely depends on form and how they pace the efforts. In my opinion, Col de la Loze is not harder than Col de Portet, where gaps were comparatively small because pacing was really even by most GC riders there.

But Ineos really, really loves to do positive splits when they need to attack and do negative or even splits when they need to defend. I think Jumbo need to be ready for that and not risk blowing up by following the Ineos train if they start flying like a bunch of maniacs early on Col de la Loze. In that case, the middle section is the easiest and Roglic and Dumoulin should be able to work together. Same goes for the Grand Colombier. That climb is hardest at the start, and getting blown up there is the worst thing you can do. If Roglic is the team leader at that stage and Dumoulin is good, Roglic should just sit on Dumoulins pace who will quite likely take it up once the climb starts flattening out more.

I really think this sort of pacing is where teams need to do their research into how Sky/Ineos does it and how to defend against it.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
It entirely depends on form and how they pace the efforts. In my opinion, Col de la Loze is not harder than Col de Portet, where gaps were comparatively small because pacing was really even by most GC riders there.

But Ineos really, really loves to do positive splits when they need to attack and do negative or even splits when they need to defend. I think Jumbo need to be ready for that and not risk blowing up by following the Ineos train if they start flying like a bunch of maniacs early on Col de la Loze. In that case, the middle section is the easiest and Roglic and Dumoulin should be able to work together. Same goes for the Grand Colombier. That climb is hardest at the start, and getting blown up there is the worst thing you can do. If Roglic is the team leader at that stage and Dumoulin is good, Roglic should just sit on Dumoulins pace who will quite likely take it up once the climb starts flattening out more.

I really think this sort of pacing is where teams need to do their research into how Sky/Ineos does it and how to defend against it.
This is getting a bit off-topic, but I just had another look at the Tour route and have to say that I really like the design of stage 18. Plateau des Glières as penultimate montain with that gravel road at the top could really be a great place to invent something with a strong team. Roglic and Dumoulin may also deal better with the gravel than Bernal.

Reactions: Red Rick
Didn't have the time to watch stage 1 yesterday, will watch stage 2 and stage 3. From what i could see, a few short news and videos, TJV did a good job, they are here to win and wanted to show that from beginning. Roglič is looking strong, Dumoulin is in a good shape and he did help a lot. Interesting stage ahead today, maybe we will get to see some earlier attempts, by people that lost time yesterday.

I know it’s been said numerous times before but those comments on Wielerflits articles are just despicable..and they only get worse.

Andrea Bagioli: “Deze zege is voor Fabio Jakobsen” - https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/andrea-bagioli-deze-zege-is-voor-fabio-jakobsen/
https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/andrea-bagioli-deze-zege-is-voor-fabio-jakobsen/
They make me wanna throw up. Overly nationalist tardism, if he'd been a foreign rider the pitchforks and torches would be out.

TRENDING THREADS