• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

36th Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali; 23rd to 27th of March 2021

scambio-di-borraccia-coppi-bartali.gif

Now, isn't this a great race? Well, it will be. For sure. That's why this race gets its thread before its time.

Look at this delicious startlist, and I don't mean that in a disgusting way:

It's not finalized, yet, but there's van Wilder, Brenner, Vandenabeele, Vermaerke, Jorgenson, Vansevenant, Ayuso... and so on. So, a future Tour winner à la Cadel Evans will certainly be seen here!

1 A few hills. Not many.
settimana-internazionale-coppi-e-bartali-2021-stage-1a-profile-b3309063a8.jpg

1 Right, short and pancake-flat, it's a time trial.
settimana-internazionale-coppi-e-bartali-2021-stage-1b-profile-53885b1281.jpg

2 Pretty hilly.
settimana-internazionale-coppi-e-bartali-2021-stage-2-profile-b0c52d1c78.jpg

3 Mountains. For real. Monte Carpegna. Cielo del Pirata! Frontloaded, this stage.
settimana-internazionale-coppi-e-bartali-2021-stage-3-profile-a74c89f3d0.jpg

4 There aren't many possibilities to ride in San Marino, so they had to do a few laps of the same. Looks nice, though. A bit like an ECG of a person who gets more excited at one point.
settimana-internazionale-coppi-e-bartali-2021-stage-4-profile-6b25fee98c.jpg

5 Well, this is a very steady ECG.
settimana-internazionale-coppi-e-bartali-2021-stage-5-profile-368de1aff3.jpg

Yes, I know, I'm not good at stage descriptions. Toby will give you better ones.

Anyway, yes, I'm hyped about a youngster's race and that doesn't happen often!

Now, isn't this a great race? Well, it will be. For sure. That's why this race gets its thread before its time.

Look at this delicious startlist, and I don't mean that in a disgusting way:

It's not finalized, yet, but there's van Wilder, Brenner, Vandenabeele, Vermaerke, Jorgenson, Vansevenant, Ayuso... and so on. So, a future Tour winner à la Cadel Evans will certainly be seen here!

Yes, I know, I'm not good at stage descriptions. Toby will give you better ones.

Anyway, yes, I'm hyped about a youngster's race and that doesn't happen often!

LMAO!!!!! There are multiple ways to take this sentence. LMAO!!!!!!

Last edited:
Climbs

Stage 1a
Longiano (3x)
I still can't insert pictures from Salite, so there will be a few hyperlinks in this post.

Stage 2

Torriana
torriana1.jpg

Sogliano al Rubicone (5x)
sogliano_rubicone.gif

Stage 3
Fiorentino (first 5.2k only)

Cantoniera di Carpegna
cantoniera1.gif

Villaggio del Lago - Villagrande
maciano.gif

Albereto
settimana-internazionale-coppi-e-bartali-2021-stage-3-climb-n3-848f3b0956.jpg

Stage 4
San Marino (long climb, 2x)
settimana-internazionale-coppi-e-bartali-2021-stage-4-climb-36a03b0d01.jpg

San Marino (short climb, 6x)
settimana-internazionale-coppi-e-bartali-2021-stage-4-climb-n3-bbfa8b2b77.jpg

Stage 5
Rocca delle Caminate (the top profile minus the final 200 meters, 7x)
caminate_predappio.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: roundabout
Yep... hyped for the young guns... but bummed we probably won't be able to see this on tv (or anywhere). Van Wilder will come in with only one and a half a racedays thanks to DSM's grandiose planning. So i don't know if he'll be up there already. If he had done Var and Provence like he was supposed to, i'd have put him among the GC favorites. Now i don't really know.

I would also imagine Foss would like to show himself and make a statement in this line-up with a few of the much younger guys that he beat in l'Avenir 2 years ago, like Vansevenant, Van Wilder and Jorgenson. My guess would be a few of those guys have already eclipsed old man Foss. Also interested in seeing Brenner, Tiberi, Ayuso, Vandenabeele, Fancellu, Vermaerke, Alba, Rubio and Leemreize and see how they stack up. I'm probably forgetting a few.

Yep... hyped for the young guns... but bummed we probably won't be able to see this on tv (or anywhere). Van Wilder will come in with only one and a half a racedays thanks to DSM's grandiose planning. So i don't know if he'll be up there already. If he had done Var and Provence like he was supposed to, i'd have put him among the GC favorites. Now i don't really know.

I would also imagine Foss would like to show himself and make a statement in this line-up with a few of the much younger guys that he beat in l'Avenir 2 years ago, like Vansevenant, Van Wilder and Jorgenson. My guess would be a few of those guys have already eclipsed old man Foss. Also interested in seeing Brenner, Tiberi, Ayuso, Vandenabeele, Fancellu, Vermaerke, Alba, Rubio and Leemreize and see how they stack up. I'm probably forgetting a few.
Santiago Umba.

And while I agree Foss doesn't have the potential a few of those other guys have, he looked in good shape during Tirreno Adriatico. If Jumbo rides a good TTT he might be up there in GC.
Jorgenson will largely depend on the TTT too, and I'm not sure Movistar will send enough rouleurs to this race.
Vansevenant is probably the favorite while Van Wilder will likely have to find his shape along the way.
Curious to see Ineos roster. There aren't many scenarios where they don't have at least two guys who could win the whole thing.

Bizarre that this race gets a thread before Catalunya.

:D Originally I wanted to make one for Catalunya. But then I looked through the startlists (well, not that Catalunya hasn't a great one) and was actually more excited about this one.
Too bad if Logic says it's not shown on TV. :mad: Not even RAI or Sporza?

You can always make one for Catalunya, toby! We are awaiting your descriptions and there isn't one, yet.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS