• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

4 Jours de Dunkerque/GP Hauts De France 2022 , 5/3-5/8

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The craziest thing for me here is that the winner after DSQ (Arvid) probably made the worst offense just before the crash (seen in picture 2 a bit) when he used his body against Tesson to make space. But it is neglected because Tesson doesn’t crash .
Er? De Kleijn only swerves into Tesson after the crash because Welsford swerves right from the contact with De Lie right in front of him. If what he does before that to move right is relegatable, then Tesson should be relegated too for cutting across a Cofidis rider to move right himself just before that. Both of those were completely normal sprinting moves.

Er? De Kleijn only swerves into Tesson after the crash because Welsford swerves right from the contact with De Lie right in front of him. If what he does before that to move right is relegatable, then Tesson should be relegated too for cutting across a Cofidis rider to move right himself just before that. Both of those were completely normal sprinting moves.

What De Kleijn does on 0:05 in this video (before the crash) is similar or worse than what Welsford does for me. (Although one might argue he could see the crash coming) The thing that is very different is the outcome obviously:
View: https://twitter.com/HumanPwrdHealth/status/1521495572112367625

Then again, we obviously differ already on how bad we perceive Welsford his action is. Because as I stated already for me he doesnt deserve a relegation.

I know Lotto are in a dire situation, but rushing De Lie back from a concussion (+ potential further injury) seems irresponsible to me.

Well yeah that why they immediately decided after the finish to not let him start tmrw (even before they knew he had a concussion). Morbihan is still 11 days away. If it's just a minor concussion he should be fit. Obviously if it's a more severe concussion he won't be back soon, there's no way they rush him. LTS does a lot of thing pretty bad, but giving their youngsters enough time to recover is definitely not one of those things, even this year when they need points.

Lucky probably is not the right word. But I meant in the sense that Welsford was relegated, not with reference to his crash. I think De Lie's action led to the crash but Welsford could have done more to avoid it. The road going left meant that the natural thing to do is to move left, but the elbow was unnecessary and just as dangerous as De Lie aiming for a questionable gap.

Nonetheless, relegation is probably the right call.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I watched it live, but didn't pay further attention to the aftermath, as I just assumed that Welsford had won. Now, I am somewhat shocked to see that Welsford has been relegated for the crash. Ofcourse, Welsford could have let him past instead of closing the gap further, but I think it was a dangerous and immature move from De Lie, to begin with, trying to go through tiny gap. Welsford apologizing is fine and all and it doesn't hurt anybody. But I think the more serious problem here is the lack of respect in the peloton that can enable two young riders (both Welsford and De Lie) to make hazardous moves in a fast bunch sprint.

TRENDING THREADS