• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

4th Mont Ventoux Dénivelé Challenge(1.1) - June 14th

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Storer is pretty erratic, not the easiest rider to judge the overall level on (although that's true for quite a few people in this race). In any case, Guerreiro could win by over a minute at the rate this is going which is pretty crazy for a rider like him even in a 1.1 race field.

yeah definitely a really strong performance. Good for EF, they needed a positive. Wouldn't be surprised if the teams gets a lot of good results in a short time now.

Chavez is actually just on a training ride in Storers wheel tho.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Honestly, while I like to see more pure climbing one day races, this feels quite pointless the second year in a row you basically have early moves and the rest is like a time trial.
I'd rather see them include the Ventoux in the Dauphine as a MTT again.

Ofcourse, it's to easy to make the difference if you're the strongest in such a hard race. They're not super entertaining because of that.

Honestly, while I like to see more pure climbing one day races, this feels quite pointless the second year in a row you basically have early moves and the rest is like a time trial.
I'd rather see them include the Ventoux in the Dauphine as a MTT again.
IMO a pure climbing one-day race should either finish on a mid-length climb (e.g. old Milano-Torino route, Subida a Urkiola back in the day) or finish after the hardest climb if it's as brutal as this one (e.g. Ötztaler 5500 the year they held a pro version).

Today shows that Vaughters needs to set aside his massive ego and have his team do more non-WT races. They should stay up easily with better calendar planning.

They might just stay up easily like this too tho. I agree that should've done a bit more. But there aren't a lot of these hard ones tho. Mercan would've been a good one to do. They simply don't really have the guys to do a lot of these French/Belgian races or they needs to use Bettiol and Valgren for them but.

They might just stay up easily like this too tho. I agree that should've done a bit more. But there aren't a lot of these hard ones tho. Mercan would've been a good one to do. They simply don't really have the guys to do a lot of these French/Belgian races or they needs to use Bettiol and Valgren for them but.
They could also just add some shorter stage races to their calendar. Stuff like Asturias would just have been easy points.

They could also just add some shorter stage races to their calendar. Stuff like Asturias would just have been easy points.
They did Gran Camino if I remember correctly, but I agree. Some minor tweaks to their calendar and they were probably 1000 points ahead of the relegation zone. They're just too good to drop out imo.

Clear winner of the UCI points race today. Movistar 40 points but they can't be happy with it. Cofidis 50, allright I guess. Israel... Well if Fuglsang fails this week they're in big throuble (I don't think he fails tho).

Ofcourse, it's to easy to make the difference if you're the strongest in such a hard race. They're not super entertaining because of that.
IMO a pure climbing one-day race should either finish on a mid-length climb (e.g. old Milano-Torino route, Subida a Urkiola back in the day) or finish after the hardest climb if it's as brutal as this one (e.g. Ötztaler 5500 the year they held a pro version).
Yeah, the probleme with Ventoux is that you can't do anything to make it more interesting before the final ascent because it's so isolated.
No other big passes around, too much flat in between if you go twice, no point for a descent attack because it's not technical. Kinda limited options really.

Yeah, the probleme with Ventoux is that you can't do anything to make it more interesting before the final ascent because it's so isolated.
No other big passes around, too much flat in between if you go twice, no point for a descent attack because it's not technical. Kinda limited options really.
The fun thing to do would be Ventoux from Malaucène, descend to Sault, climb Col de Notre Dame des Abeilles via the Mur de Monieux, descend to Bedoin, climb the classic side up to Chalet Reynard, then repeat the descent into Sault and the ascent of Monieux-Abeilles and finish in Bedoin.

This would be the final climb:
col-de-notre-dame-des-abeilles-monieux.png

The problem is that the commercial lure of the classic MTF is too big for them to move the finish away from it.

TRENDING THREADS