• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

59th Jayco Herald Sun Tour, 2.1 - 12th to 16th October 2011

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Gret ride by Haas. Silin looked super strong especially through the section at 15%. Well done by him. Haas has been looking for a contract with a top team. With a win here he may find a spot on a team in the future. Haas really dorve the pace in the finish and looked much stronger than Bobridge.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
richo36 said:
great stage!!! perfect example of not needing all the big names to make a race.
agreed, interesting race. Better than any tour down under stage this year though in saying that Arthurs Seat is a much tougher climb.

Hope Haas can find a top euro team to go to next year. He is certainly good enough to be racing in Europe.

EDIT: I wouldm't mind seeing Genesys getting a go at the Tour Down Under. They deserve a spot after the way they have dominated the National Road Series and they have ridden well so far for Haas and Von Hoff who have podiumed in stages and have the overall sewn up against some more formidable opponents.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
decent finish.

The commentators make me laugh.
They make it sound like this will no doubt eventuate into greatness for being the main protagonists of the race.
Did Cyclingnews hire one of these commentators to write the race update? I read that the "incredible" Haas "more than matched Jack Bobridge" on a climb. Jack Bobridge, who finishes in the autobus in every hilly race on the European calendar.

theyoungest said:
Did Cyclingnews hire one of these commentators to write the race update? I read that the "incredible" Haas "more than matched Jack Bobridge" on a climb. Jack Bobridge, who finishes in the autobus in every hilly race on the European calendar.

Well, Bobridge had a reason to to be trying, but didn't succeed. And others who might have been considered more likely were left further down the road.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
You have to give credit to Haas for being to hang on there get the lead and all but sealed the the overall GC. Wonder if he will end up at GE after next year?

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yep that was a great race I thought. Those with the motivation to do well, climbed well. Only disappointment was Lloyd really but then he doesn't have a lot of racing in his legs. JHST is a step up from the NRS series so good to see Haas do well. Obviously was in good form at Tour of Tassie.

To be fair to the commentators, Silin, has had wraps about him for awhile now, noticed it before this race. Bobridge - do we need to say anything? Haas has been performing excellent this year, may be "best of the rest" in a weak competition but has the potential. Lachlan Norris has potential too, just come back from his staigaire contract with HTC.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
agreed, interesting race. Better than any tour down under stage this year though in saying that Arthurs Seat is a much tougher climb.

Ill never get why they dont use gems like this in the tour down under. I know the riders say they want a easy ride and its the first ride of the season but i still think they need to make it a little harder.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:

Well did you watch the race???? The answer is no. Maybe you should watch some highlights of the race before you make silly comments. Bobridge is a quality rider. Haas did more than match many other seasoned professionals and Bobridge isn't that bad of a climber anyway. Haas' win was very classy today especially due to the fact he races with a small domestic team.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Jack Bobridge, who finishes in the autobus in every hilly race on the European calendar.

That's not because he can't climb it's because he has not been used as a climbing leader.

He has WR pursuit power and weighs less than 70kg. That=climbing ability in any language.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:

Probably.

They basically said Haas was a rider who would be massive on the global scene - basically based on his ability to stay with jack bo and outsprint him on a 3km climb - and would be winning races all over europe one day. I lol'd.

I mean, it is a great performance, and he probably could be racing in europe I agree. But they made way too much out of this race. For pete sake some sprinters were almost competing for the win on this climb (not a jab at the course, I liked it a lot, but the field was a little bare to make comparisons to the European scene).

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
richo36 said:
Ill never get why they dont use gems like this in the tour down under. I know the riders say they want a easy ride and its the first ride of the season but i still think they need to make it a little harder.

Partly because gems like this are unavailable to the TDU organizers, because South Australia is a pretty flat place. Arthur's Seat is 1000-odd kilometres away from where they hold the TDU (essentially, in the outer suburbs of Adelaide, South Australia - the riders ride back to the same team hotel every night).

While New South Wales, Queensland and Tasmania have some decent climbs, the greatest variety of cycling terrain in Australia is in Victoria where they hold the Herald-Sun Tour. However, the state government of South Australia are the ones who tip the money in to the TDU, so it's not going anywhere for a while yet.

They are putting the finish to the Willunga stage of the TDU on the hilltop this year, which should make it a little more entertaining.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
rgmerk said:
They are putting the finish to the Willunga stage of the TDU on the hilltop this year, which should make it a little more entertaining.

Not sure how that will affect following that on the bike, its been sweet how it was.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Hope Haas can find a top euro team to go to next year. He is certainly good enough to be racing in Europe.

EDIT: I wouldm't mind seeing Genesys getting a go at the Tour Down Under. They deserve a spot after the way they have dominated the National Road Series and they have ridden well so far for Haas and Von Hoff who have podiumed in stages and have the overall sewn up against some more formidable opponents.

It won't happen. I'd love to see the top aussie teams racing in the TDU but as long as it's WT they won't get a chance

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Problem is, at 3pm today I now have: Cycling, Wallabies, Perth Glory to watch. A crit is going to be low on the priorities I think

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Tom Palmer went a little bit early in the sprint and Kittel came from a long way back and got him on the line. But good on Haas though, is there any more spots open for him at GE? I don't think he will be at Genesys for too much longer.

TRENDING THREADS