• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

60th Vuelta a Colombia 2010 Milestone - Aug 1st - 15th

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Colombian Cycling Federation has identified the route of the now 60 years old Tour of Colombia to be held from August 1 to August 15 this year.
In total there will be two thousand three hundred twenty-one (2321 Kilometer) in fifteen stages, beginning with one against the clock by teams (TTT) of twenty kilometers in Medellin and ending with an individual time trial (ITT) in the capital of Antioquia.
The stages to be held outside of Bogota and Cali are yet to be identified, and still subject of negotiations. The Colombian Cycling Federation considering that this 60th special edition is a celebration, and will pay tribute to those riders who won the title before.

Stages VaC 2010:
-Stage 1 Sunday, August 1 (TTT) La Ceja-Rionegro 20k
-Stage 2 Munday, August 2 Marinilla-Puerto Boyacá 164k
-Stage 3 Teusday, August 3 Puerto Boyacá-Barrancabermeja 191k
-Stage 4 Wednesday, August 4 Barrancabermeja-Bucaramanga 117k
-Stage 5 Thusday, August 5 Bucaramanga-San Gil-Socorro 117k
-Stage 6 Friday, August 6 Socorro-Tunja-Duitama 218k
-Stage 7 Saturday, August 7 Pantano de Vargas-Duitama-Nobsa-Sogamoso-Duitama circuito mundialista-Paipa-Combita-Tunja-Puente Boyacá 147k
-Stage 8 Sunday, August 8(to be conf.) Tunja-Briceño-La Calera-Bogotá 147k
-Stage 9 Monday, August 9(to be conf.) Bogotá-La Vega-Honda-Mariquita-Líbano 229k
-Stage 10 Teusday, August 10 Mariquita-Ibagué-La Linea-Armenia 206k
-Stage 11 Wednesday, August 11(to be conf.) Armenia-La Paila-Palmira-Cali 183k
-Stage 12 Thusday, August 12(to be conf.) Cali-Yumbo-Roldanillo-Cartago-Pereira 216k
-Stage 13 Friday, August 13 Pereira-La Virgina-Variante el Pollo-Santa Rosa de Cabal -Chinchiná-Manizales 117k
-Stage 14 Saturday, August 14 Manizales-Irra-La Felisa-La Pintada-Medellín-Alto de Palmas 211k
-Stage 15 Sunday, August 15 (ITT) Medellín 34 k

Lots of 200k + wow!

Will this little man come and defend his title-
2j1shmx.png

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
kind of race that should be made pro tour at 60 years old
would be great to see the big guns using it as altitude training for the tour

Great race. Always exciting. Never enough coverage.

Should NOT, under ANY circumstances, be made ProTour.

The Colombians are very protective of their race, and there are some amazing climbers out there (just look at what the Colombia es Pasión riders did to the field at the Vuelta a Asturias). If it's ProTour, that's eighteen teams you got to invite, and you can't invite teams below ProContinental ranking = none of the Colombian teams!

I'd rather watch Freddy Montaña, Mauricio Ortega and Fabio Duarte in their element once a year than yet another chance to see the top names.

Plus, who the hell wants to race a mindblowingly difficult 2-week race over some of the hardest mountain stages in the world, either in June (too tired for the Tour) or August (just after the Tour)?

Perhaps 2.1 status would be nice as an acknowledgment of its history and prestige, but it would ruin it completely to make it ProTour. Completely.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Do you know if stage 10 finishes on La Línea or does it just go over it?

This year finish is on top of the mountain

Last year it was allready in memorable 3rd stage as you probably will still know
Stage 3: Ibagué - Alvarado - Ibagué Alto de La Línea 128.2 km^^
Etapa-4-9jun-ibague-linea.jpg

Where Duarte degraded the later winner Rujano of the VaC by 4 and a half minutes. Still remember the whole of Colombia was electrified by this showing.

Fabio-Duarte-Vcol09Vic-600.jpg
Fabio Duarte swallowed La Line is new leader of Vuelta a Colombia 2009
The World Champion Under 23, Fabio Duarte (Colombia is Passion Café-Colombia), was a real aplanadora on the High Line and won the fourth stage of the Tour of Colombia that left Ibagué and culminated in the legendary port after 128.2 miles. Duarte was in a real all winning mood, the stage win, and could also pull on the shirts as the leader and king of the beetles for getting the 25 points of the PM hors class.

Result of that stage Top 15 once more:
1 Fabio Duarte (Col) Colombia Es Pasion 3.54.56 (32.74km/h)
2 Javier Gonzalez (Col) Loteria De Boyaca 2.17
3 Fernando Camargo (Col) Loteria De Boyaca 2.38
4 Ismael Sarmiento (Col) Para Tunja Lo Mejor 2.42
5 Freddy Montaña (Col) Boyaca Es Para Vivirla 2.53
6 Cesar Salazar (Col) Loteria Del Tachira 3.02
7 Mauricio Ortega (Col) UNE-EPM 3.06
8 Edwin Parra (Col) Boyaca Es Para Vivirla 3.47
9 Oscar Sevilla (Spa) Rock Racing 4.00
10 Santiago Botero (Col) Indeportes Ant.-Fla-Lot. Med.-Idea
11 Alejandro I. Cortes (Col) Indeportes Ant.-Fla-Lot. Med.-Idea
12 Luis Felipe Laverde (Col) Colombia Es Pasion 4.24
13 Juan D. Ramirez (Col) Gw-Shimano-Chec-Edeq 4.43
14 41Jose Rujano (Ven) Gobernacion Del Zulia 4.50
15 Carlos Galvis (Ven) Gobernacion Del Zulia

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Update muy importante >>>

Jose Rujano will be staring once again and defend his VaC title come August.

IMG_7668.jpg

"The Badger" here drinking a cup of coffee during last years VaC stage 12 in Tunja, did quit the job at ISD after them missing the Giro and will return to South America. Link:www.revistamundociclistico.com

Remember this is how the final stage in Bogota finished last year:
TT Bo-Bo La Calera-Alto de Patio 23.1 km^ CAPTURED BY THE 'BADGER'
It was 11.30 AM in Bogota when the badger passed the finish line with this result:

1. Nr. 41José Rujano Venezuela (Gobernación del Zulia) Time: 34.56 *** (campeon 59th edition of the Vuelta a Colombia. )
2. Juan P. Suarez (Orgullo Paisa) a 9 sec.,
3. Oscar Sevilla (Rock Racing) a 11 sec.,
4. Francisco Mancebo (Rock Racing) 15 sec.
5. Feddy Montana (Boyacá es para Vivirla) 22.sec.
y Juan Pablo Wilches (Nec. de Cundi) 22.sec.

Jose Rujano has become the third 'conquistador' in the Colombian Andes after 52 years; joining his Spanish colleague José Gomez Del Moral, in 1957, was the second and still last 'extrajero' to take honours back to Europe. He succeeded French rider, José Beyaert -1952.
For ages, we have had the big Europeans and Other American teams trying it out with their best pro-elite and amateurs squads but so far no one else has been able to repeat the Conquista.
Even now, 52 years later, Colombian veterans complain about some organization events that gave the 'extrajeros' the chance to win those two crowns because local teams ended up retiring or so... Anywise, crying is not the way.
The 2009 Vuelta has found his king, for the first time in its history a undisputed 'Extrajero' will be crowned tonight in Bogota, and the Colombian loving people are fantastic, knowing that something special is happening and seeing with their own eyes, that the Caribbean humble Venezuelan neighbour hasn't stolen anything, respects the home riders at most, the Colombian people have opened their hearts for Jose, a big thumbs-up to them for their sportsmanship, and this how the Colombians gave honor to the Chaves kid.
IMG_8373.jpg

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay. When is somebody going to pick up Duarte? :confused:

Seriously...this kid has mad talent, and could easily hang w/ the best of Europe's youth. Extremely skilled & talented Colombian cyclists come and go, the ones who persevere have the nads to say goodbye to Mommy and head to Spain (Mauricio Soler unfortunately NOT being on this list).

Fabio Duarte has proven himself time & time again. If you don't believe it, check the palmares. No offense at all to 'Colombia es Pasion' (a highly respectable team in its own right) or any of the top Colombian squads, but if Fabio had an eye towards his future, he wouldn't be racing in this hemisphere right now. Thanks for listening. :cool:

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
19.07.10/12:48 am

Rujano will run for a Colombian team la lotería de Boyacá in this 60th edition of the VaC

JOse-Rujano-equipo-BOYACA-370.jpg

José Rujano en la Vuelta Colombia con la lotería de Boyacá

Reigning Vuelta Colombia, José Rujano, Venezuela will defend his title with all Boyaca Lottery (Col) - Governor of Zulia(Ven) after an agreement reached by the leaders in both countries, which leads to a projection as a cross border Continental squad that started training already for the rest of the 2010 season.

José Rujano, will be assisted of a set of his own compatriots Jose Alarcon, Carlos Galviz, Manuel Medina and Delgado Yeison, combined with the Colombians Mauricio Neisa, Graciano Fonseca, Aldo Valero, Daniel Rincon, and Pedro Herrera, led by Hernan Jose German and Jahir Bernal. Rujano and his companions arrive this weekend Boyacá to attend the presentation of the teams of Boyacá and then travel to Medellin for the final preperation of the 60th national tour of Colombia.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ttrider said:
kind of race that should be made pro tour at 60 years old
would be great to see the big guns using it as altitude training for the tour

no it wouldn't this is a colombian race where colombians should ride and some europeans like sevilla who dare to sacrifice themselves to ride here. europeans usually don't stand a chance here. this is climbing/racing of the highest caliber in the world just ask rudy pevenage about last year. this is racing to it's limit

last year duarte had a flat in a stage while he had the leaders jersey. 7 teams started to drive the pace and killed duarte with an average of over 50 km/h over that stage. that tells you how big it is. no gentelman agreements battle until the end

it's just ashame botero won't be there for the last time :(

May 13, 2009
Visit site
FanDeSoler said:
Okay. When is somebody going to pick up Duarte? :confused:

Seriously...this kid has mad talent, and could easily hang w/ the best of Europe's youth. Extremely skilled & talented Colombian cyclists come and go, the ones who persevere have the nads to say goodbye to Mommy and head to Spain (Mauricio Soler unfortunately NOT being on this list).

Fabio Duarte has proven himself time & time again. If you don't believe it, check the palmares. No offense at all to 'Colombia es Pasion' (a highly respectable team in its own right) or any of the top Colombian squads, but if Fabio had an eye towards his future, he wouldn't be racing in this hemisphere right now. Thanks for listening. :cool:

This was discussed somewhere else. Apparently he prefers to stay in Colombia or something. Next year Colombia es Pasion is going to try to upgrade and race in Europe.

Does anyone has details about the climbs?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
AAAahhh it is so refreshing to be able to discuss world class cycling with actual cycling fans and not all these idiotic Lance/Tour de France fanboys...:D

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
If this starts could someone please update this thread with a link to either a live ticker or a feed somewhere? Would love to see it, or at least follow it

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
indurain666 said:
This was discussed somewhere else. Apparently he prefers to stay in Colombia or something. Next year Colombia es Pasion is going to try to upgrade and race in Europe.

Does anyone has details about the climbs?

is the alto de letras in this year?? that climb is 50 km long and goes to 4000 metres with an average I believe of 6.5%

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
is the alto de letras in this year?? that climb is 50 km long and goes to 4000 metres with an average I believe of 6.5%

I don't know, I haven't been able to find.

If you want a livestream try:

http://www.rojadirecta.org (in spanish though)

they usually have livestream for almost all sporting events..a lot of times is hard to find a channel that works, but I ahve seen a lot of Non-Pro Tour bicycle racing there

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
First team to announce their lineup are Great Wall - Shimano

Nómina:

Félix Cárdenas

Iván Parra

Marlon Pérez

Juan Pablo Villegas

Camilo Gómez

Jaime Vergara

Juan Alejandro García

Giovanni Chacón

Edwin Orozco

Jaime Suaza

Luis Alfonso Cely (Director Técnico)

William Gálvis (Delegado)

indurain666 said:
I don't know, I haven't been able to find.

If you want a livestream try:

http://www.rojadirecta.org (in spanish though)

they usually have livestream for almost all sporting events..a lot of times is hard to find a channel that works, but I ahve seen a lot of Non-Pro Tour bicycle racing there

Beautiful.

And since its Spanish, the commentators are no doubt going to be shouting madly the whole time- with passion.

Does this race draw large crowds for mtfs?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Beautiful.

And since its Spanish, the commentators are no doubt going to be shouting madly the whole time- with passion.

Even flat stages. Cycling in colombia, although nowhere near as soccer, but it is quite popular.

http://www.cambio.com.co/panoramacambio/algranocambio/778/IMAGEN/IMAGEN-4214030-2.jpg

It is a good race, as you might know, professional cycling in many south american countries is actually very high level. To give you an example, Milton Wynants from Uruguay who made his whole pro cyclist career in south america and won silver in Sydney's point race.

indurain666 said:
Even flat stages. Cycling in colombia, although nowhere near as soccer, but it is quite popular.

http://www.cambio.com.co/panoramacambio/algranocambio/778/IMAGEN/IMAGEN-4214030-2.jpg

It is a good race, as you might know, professional cycling in many south american countries is actually very high level. To give you an example, Milton Wynants from Uruguay who made his whole pro cyclist career in south america and won silver in Sydney's point race.

Really. Obviously it wont be as popular as football, but i heard its close. wikipedia (by no means he be all end all to any discussion) says "Football and cycling the most practiced and popular sports in Colombia."

Also in europe cycling is nowhere near as popular as football, but the fact that its free means it draws crowds 10 times as large as any other sporting event (alp de huez stages, champs elysee stages, monte zoncolan stages, ronde van vlanderin etc)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Beautiful.

It is huge. more people than you will see in Europe mostly. Cycling is the biggest sport (sport of the common people) in Colombia. Cycling is overall a huge sport in many Latin-American Country's especially Ecuador, Bolivia, Brazil, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Venezuela.

Here Rujano after winning Vuelta Colombia last year:

2481496.jpg

Look at revistamundociclistico's coverage of old races to see - lots of people all over the place, and the brief clips I posted in the other thread about Colombian cycling, people everywhere. Very big.

I wish there were more options to get coverage than those short videos, however - they're not very conducive to learning about Colombian cycling, with the riders not highlighted so that we don't know who they are unless we recognise them instantly, which only happens with the ones we know like Félix Cardenas and Ivan Parra. If there were a few captions to tell me which riders were which I'd be very happy. It's also difficult to tell some of the teams apart (Lotería de Boyacá and Boyacá Orgullo de América is one I particularly recall).

I've loved everything I've seen and really want to see more, but it's just not easy.

Libertine Seguros said:
Look at revistamundociclistico's coverage of old races to see - lots of people all over the place, and the brief clips I posted in the other thread about Colombian cycling, people everywhere. Very big.

I wish there were more options to get coverage than those short videos, however - they're not very conducive to learning about Colombian cycling, with the riders not highlighted so that we don't know who they are unless we recognise them instantly, which only happens with the ones we know like Félix Cardenas and Ivan Parra. If there were a few captions to tell me which riders were which I'd be very happy. It's also difficult to tell some of the teams apart (Lotería de Boyacá and Boyacá Orgullo de América is one I particularly recall).

I've loved everything I've seen and really want to see more, but it's just not easy.
lol

In those clips the commentators are shouting about the arrival of the motorcycles.

I don't mind the commentators being excitable. I know who's who from the commentary because they tell me. It's the music video clips that make up 90% of the available footage - not really helpful to the first time viewer. I appreciate the chance to see some of this stuff, I just wish that they'd add a couple of helpful captions (say "Ortega attacks 35km out" or something like that, so I know more the story of the stage and in future can distinguish Mauricio Ortega from other EPM-UNE riders).

Libertine Seguros said:
I don't mind the commentators being excitable. I know who's who from the commentary because they tell me. It's the music video clips that make up 90% of the available footage - not really helpful to the first time viewer. I appreciate the chance to see some of this stuff, I just wish that they'd add a couple of helpful captions (say "Ortega attacks 35km out" or something like that, so I know more the story of the stage and in future can distinguish Mauricio Ortega from other EPM-UNE riders).

On the contrary i love the comentary.

In fact i would like to hear the Columbian commentary for the tdf as well.
Would make it far more exciting.

Speaking of which what happened to that japanes commentary from the giro which was apparently similar in passion, though not as great since i dont understand japanese

TRENDING THREADS