• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

70th Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana 2019 Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
https://www.cyclingstage.com/tour-of-valencia-2019/stage-3-route-vcv-2019/
The 3rd stage in the Tour of Valencia is a hilly race with its peak at an altitude of 1,000 metres. The route takes in five KOM climbs and amounts to 194,3 kilometres. The last one peaks out just kilometres before the finish line.

The route is far from flat, but the riders don’t face sheer endless climbs or inhumanly steep ramps either. Following the first 50 kilometres on undulating roads the parcours starts to become more lumpy and tackles the Sot de Chera (4.1 kilometres at 5.8%). A short descent leads to the foot of the Salto de la Mora. This 5.4 kilometres climb at 4.5% is crested a few kilometres before the first passage on the line. Basically this whole section is a preview for the finale.

The route moves through Chera before descending to the foot of the Alto de Requena. Tis 5.8 kilometres climb at 4.4% peak out at 811 metres. A prolonged false flat – first down, then up – runs to the highest point of the day. No KOM points up for grabs though, but still, the reward takes the shape of a long and gradual downhill.

Up next is the Mataparda (6 kilometres at 5.4%) before another long descent leads to the second ascent of the Sot de Chera. The riders have been here before at kilometre 50. Following the climb up the Sot de Chera the route continues on the Salto de la Mora. This time, however, the riders face a final and slightly uphill stretch to the line.

The first three riders on the line win time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds, while the only intermediate sprint (at kilometre 85.1) comes with 3, 2 and 1 seconds.

The 3rd stage of the Tour of Valencia starts at 11:08 and the finish is expected around 15:59 – both local times.

Reminder of the profile -
volta-a-la-comunitat-valenciana-2019-etapa-3.jpg

Who will win this bike race?

It looks like a three-way battle between Izagirre, Teuns and Valverde. Perhaps Dan Martin has an outside chance but I don't see anyone beating Valverde on the Alcossebre climb. This is exactly the kind of climb on which he repeatedly showed top notch level in the Vuelta and at the Worlds last autumn.

However, Teuns has 6 seconds on him and the Alcossebre climb should suit him as well. And with that performance in the time trial (on the unimpressive Merida TT machine, don't forget) and the fact that there are no bonus seconds, I'll go with him for the overall win.

And then I'll be kicking myself for not having the guts to go all-in on him on my CQ team as I think he might have an amazing season.

Edit: It's only now that I realize what a nice performance Diego Rosa put in on the TT. I really hope he will have a better season than the past couple, except if that entails that we'll just see him killing the races on the front of the peloton.

EBH might take this one as well, but it depends on how hard they race it. An elimination climb that is not hard enough to make a difference in the GC.

It look like one of these reduced sprints stages that Albasini usually wins.

(I'm talking about stage 3, not the GC.. FU Toby for posting just before me :p )

Re:

Velolover2 said:
EBH might take this one as well, but it depends on how hard they race it. An elimination climb that is not hard enough to make a difference in the GC.

(I'm talking about stage 3, not the GC.. FU Toby for posting just before me :p )

Haha, I got the point before your edit :D

Let's just say I wouldn't entirely have agreed if you'd appointed EBH the favourite for the GC.

Re: Re:

Velolover2 said:
:D

But in all seriousness, it's gonna be a nice stage to watch because you don't know if the strongest sprinters/heavier puncheurs can survive a 5% climb.

Someone like Swift can perhaps win it.

Swift is normally not known as a great uphill sprinter but he can survive longer, non-steep climbs and the other sprinters might be tired. This is his chance. The final K is only 3-4%. Not a traditional puncheur final, but like a "grindeour" final. :lol:

Don't know if it's too hard for Cort, Colbrelli and Trentin. GVA should be able to make it if he is in shape. It may be too easy for Valverde. But he needs some bonus seconds on Teuns.

Velolover2 said:
Velolover2 said:

But in all seriousness, it's gonna be a nice stage to watch because you don't know if the strongest sprinters/heavier puncheurs can survive a 5% climb.

Swift is normally not known as a great uphill sprinter but he can survive longer, non-steep climbs and the other sprinters might be tired. This is his chance. The final K is only 3-4%. Not a traditional puncheur final, but like a "grindeour" final. :lol:

Don't know if it's too hard for Cort, Colbrelli and Trentin. GVA should be able to make it if he is in shape. It may be too easy for Valverde. But he needs some bonus seconds on Teuns.

But there are no bonus seconds in the race (as I wrote above as the main reason why Teuns was my favourite for the GC).

tobydawq said:
Velolover2 said:
Velolover2 said:

But there are no bonus seconds in the race (as I wrote above as the main reason why Teuns was my favourite for the GC).

Robert5091had this from the website he posted a couple comments above.

"The first three riders on the line win time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds, while the only intermediate sprint (at kilometre 85.1) comes with 3, 2 and 1 seconds."

SHAD0W93 said:
tobydawq said:
Velolover2 said:
Velolover2 said:

Robert5091had this from the website he posted a couple comments above.

"The first three riders on the line win time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds, while the only intermediate sprint (at kilometre 85.1) comes with 3, 2 and 1 seconds."

Top three yesterday didn't get bonus seconds.

tobydawq said:
Velolover2 said:

Haha, I got the point before your edit :D

Let's just say I wouldn't entirely have agreed if you'd appointed EBH the favourite for the GC.
He's not the favourite for GC but he can limit his losses on muritos like tomorrow one, in 2016 he even finished 10th in the extended version of Green Mountain that was more that the double in lenght.

Normally Valverde would be a certain, but he's getting on & it's only Feb. Tuens, Bilbao, Dan Martin throw in a few more but it really depends on early season shape. Astana & MS were busy on stage 2 so maybe they're in better shape then other teams.

Blanco said:
Velolover2 said:
No bonuses? I'd say it's still between Teuns and Valverde.

Bilbao is a joker. He has a nice kick on shorter, steep climbs. He is also a quite fast climber.

No love for Izagirre? I think he's as much serious contender as Teuns and Bala...

Forgot about him. It depends on how the race unfolds. Don't know if the race is hard enough for him. While he is a better GC rider, he lacks the speed and acceleration of his brother that is needed to win this race. I think the gaps will be very small on the climbs.

Re:

tobydawq said:
However, Teuns has 6 seconds on him and the Alcossebre climb should suit him as well. And with that performance in the time trial (on the unimpressive Merida TT machine, don't forget)
Is this based only on Dennis performance at the NC?
Because most Bahrain riders had a good performance in the opening TT here.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Looks an interesting stage. Think a break could go all the way.

http://live.cyclingnews.com/
And the riders in the break, are as follows:

Julien Duval (AG2R La Mondiale), Awet Andemeskel (Israel Cycling Academy), Preben Van Hecke (Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise), Cyril Barthe (Euskadi Basque Country), Fernando Barcelo Aragon (Euskadi Basque Country), Vladislav Kulikov (Gazprom-Rusvelo), Raul Alarcon (W52-FC Porto), Mauricio Moreira (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA), Diego Lopez Fuentes (Equipo Euskadi) and Diego Rubio Hernandez (Burgos-BH).

Big Raúl is there again - do I invest another half a bob on the break? :confused:

They've got 4 min 45 sec after 50 km.

Robert5091 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Looks an interesting stage. Think a break could go all the way.

http://live.cyclingnews.com/
And the riders in the break, are as follows:

Julien Duval (AG2R La Mondiale), Awet Andemeskel (Israel Cycling Academy), Preben Van Hecke (Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise), Cyril Barthe (Euskadi Basque Country), Fernando Barcelo Aragon (Euskadi Basque Country), Vladislav Kulikov (Gazprom-Rusvelo), Raul Alarcon (W52-FC Porto), Mauricio Moreira (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA), Diego Lopez Fuentes (Equipo Euskadi) and Diego Rubio Hernandez (Burgos-BH).

Big Raúl is there again - do I invest another half a bob on the break? :confused:

They've got 4 min 45 sec after 50 km.
No Kometa boys unfortunately
No impressive names (besides Balarcon obvs.) so remains to be seen how far they get.

SafeBet said:
tobydawq said:
However, Teuns has 6 seconds on him and the Alcossebre climb should suit him as well. And with that performance in the time trial (on the unimpressive Merida TT machine, don't forget)
Is this based only on Dennis performance at the NC?
Because most Bahrain riders had a good performance in the opening TT here.

No, it's a theory I have had a couple of years, especially with Ion Izagirre as a case in point (he also impressed Wednesday with his best TT since his Movistar days).

TRENDING THREADS