• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

73rd Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne: 28 February, 2021

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg

I think there's a difference between "not caring about the result" and "not having this race as a priority". Just like yesterday with Alaphilippe I think van der Poel would have liked the win very much, but he could do something a bit crazy and gamble, because it wasn't extremely important for him to win the race and he had a colleage behind.

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
I think there's a difference between "not caring about the result" and "not having this race as a priority". Just like yesterday with Alaphilippe I think van der Poel would have liked the win very much, but he could do something a bit crazy and gamble, because it wasn't extremely important for him to win the race and he had a colleage behind.
Of course he would have liked to win, he’s a winner. However, let’s not get carried away. Mathieu’s eyes are set on Strade.

What I think is nobody rides an important race just to make kms

His main goal was to attack in order to tire other teams and give Merlier a chance in the sprint, of course that when he found himself in a good position in the final kms he wouldn't drop back to the bunch as he wasn't the favourite there anyway, so no he wasn't just riding to get kms in his legs but for someone whose main objectives are RVV, PR, the Olympic MTB race and WC in Flanders, KBK is of little importance.

Ok, not wanting to argue here. Just saying the guy could have won the race and make a good training if he had riden more cleverly. But still, he rode a very good race, made his bet and could have been a winner bet.
Just analising the race.
Woulda, shoulda, coulda, didn’t.

Mathieu’s racing style isn’t for everyone. It’s part of his character. Other than that you’re getting worked up about what is for all intents and purposes a prep race.

So maybe race tactics wasn’t the first thing on his mind today. Even so, if Merlier would have made the second group it would have been an ideal situation for Alpecin.

That’s also an analysis.

TRENDING THREADS