• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 76th La Vuelta ciclista a España 2021 (August 14 - September 5)

Pick the winner!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Discuss!

Well, with less than one week to go I thought it was time for a thread.

LV21_Karte.jpg

Startlist, not complete yet:

Last edited by a moderator:
6 Roglic

5 Bernal, Carapaz

4 Lopez, Landa, Carthy

3 Mas, Vlasov, A.Yates, Bardet

2 Valverde, Ciccone, Padun, Sivakov

1 de la Cruz, Majka, G.Martin Hamilton, Caruso, Kruijswijk, Kuss, Vansevenant, Poels, Chaves, Vanhoucke, Grossschartner, Schachmann, Meintjes, Bouchard, Aru

Hopefully Ineos' 20 leaders don't crash in the first few stages so they can attack a bit more.

Last edited:
I've looked at the route a few times, and apart from the stages to Covadonga and Gamoniteiro most of the mountain stages aren't super hard, finishes included. Picon Blanco on stage 3 is probably the 3 most important MTFs in the race.

The murito's aren't extremely hard either. Valdepenas, while looking really cool is only super hard for like 200m and the stage 6 one is more of an uphill sprint than a murito.

There's one big stage/climb for tricks and it's this bad boy on stage 14.

BallesterosW.gif

Roglic for the win.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Last edited:
  • Sad
I've looked at the route a few times, and apart from the stages to Covadonga and Gamoniteiro most of the mountain stages aren't super hard, finishes included. Picon Blanco on stage 3 is probably the 3 most important MTFs in the race.

The murito's aren't extremely hard either. Valdepenas, while looking really cool is only super hard for like 200m and the stage 6 one is more of an uphill sprint than a murito.

There's one big stage/climb for tricks and it's this bad boy on stage 14.

BallesterosW.gif

Roglic for the win.
Piss easy route as usual. Muritos should be banned and these are bad ones. Should be perfect for Roglic but I'm expecting some crazy *** to go down.

14 and 18 look good for some carnage, the rest it's one of those bonus second routes, the riders will make it hopefully, there is a huge amount of attacking talent with useless time trials showing up, so hopefully Bahrain or Sky will go nuts. Surprise winner/Cobo option I think, Roglic looked exceptional in the TT but it was a 1 hour ride, wasn't so hot in the RR so maybe it won't be the expected walkover.

About the course:
*Positive:

**I like the fact that they arrive in Santiago de Compostella. It's like a three week pilgrimage on a bike.
**There are two great MTFs in the third week. Lagos de Covadonga has been done often, but I don't get tired of it. Gamoniteiro is as tough as the Angliru - a bit longer and almost a steep.
*Negative:
**Again no Pyrenees and no climbing time trial.
**Not many stages give a good opportunity for GC riders to attack before the final climb. Perhaps stage 15 or 20?

About the favorites:
*If Roglic wants to be the new Rominger he has to win the Vuelta for a third consecutive time.
*If Bernal wants to be the new Contador he has to win the Giro-Vuelta double.

Last edited:
It's a shame Pogacar and to an extent Remco aren't here. Might still be too early for Remco but with Pogacar, we'd have all of the major GC guys here
As it is, I expect this to come down to Roglic Vs Ineos and maybe Landa if he can avoid crashing.
Remco didn't prove until now, that he can be a gt winner. First he need to prove that, and then, he also need to prove that he can beat the best gc guys. It's not right put remco in the same conversation of roglic, pogacar and bernal.

I am absolutely baffled why people are looking at stage 14. That murito is almost 70k out! And before a too serious for long range action, too non-serious for big time gaps MTF. The stage is a Roglic sprint from a 5-10 big group with seconds separating them. Next stage could be more attractive but the climbs in Gredos are just not steep enough barring a VDB/last year Evenpoll exploits. I'm worried Gamoniteiro may be a serious cockblocker. It's (on paper) a harder Angliru. So, i would maybe look closer at stage 20 for a more chaotic racing.

Unlikely for Vuelta, this year there's a lot of flat stages. Wonder how the wind factor will play out. The more wind, the harder it could be for the likes of Carthy, Landa/Padun, Bardet or any of the Colombian youngins.

I am absolutely baffled why people are looking at stage 14. That murito is almost 70k out! And before a too serious for long range action, too non-serious for big time gaps MTF. The stage is a Roglic sprint from a 5-10 big group with seconds separating them. Next stage could be more attractive but the climbs in Gredos are just not steep enough barring a VDB/last year Evenpoll exploits. I'm worried Gamoniteiro may be a serious cockblocker. It's (on paper) a harder Angliru. So, i would maybe look closer at stage 20 for a more chaotic racing.

Unlikely for Vuelta, this year there's a lot of flat stages. Wonder how the wind factor will play out. The more wind, the harder it could be for the likes of Carthy, Landa/Padun, Bardet or any of the Colombian youngins.
That murito in stage 14 can stand comparison to Il Muro di Sormano, so it will surely break the race apart. Then, everything will depend on how riders are spread on the road after the summit because there is not a single km of flat afterwards to ease the chase of those left behind.

Wind can be expected in stages 4 and 5, probably stage 2 also.

That murito in stage 14 can stand comparison to Il Muro di Sormano, so it will surely break the race apart. Then, everything will depend on how riders are spread on the road after the summit because there is not a single km of flat afterwards to ease the chase of those left behind.

Wind can be expected in stages 4 and 5, probably stage 2 also.
Also at this stage of a Grand Tour (a week before) people are at their most desperate to hype. In reality, anything happening on that stage is very unlikely.

I do note the finish there is one of @Libertine Seguros' 21 unknown Esp climbs La Vuelta should use.

Aaand they gave it a cat 1.

TRENDING THREADS