• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

82nd Volta a Portugal em Bicicleta (27th of September - 5th of October)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Phew... turns out, not quite as serious as reported.

View: https://twitter.com/Rally_Cycling/status/1310982519639158787

(Dammit! I hate reading stuff like that, and then, just nothing.)

The local news report made it sound worse. Then again, CM is basically the The Sun so...Joke's on me for taking them seriously. Glad he's okay.

So the best-designed stage of the Volta is done and dusted. Sad to see the waste that are the final two road stages. I could probably work out 100 different hilly routes into Torres Vedras but they're doing a sprint stage there...The Torre stage is also a bit disappointing, but at least they're doing the Covilhã side.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That's so true, it would be great if they went over Serra de Arga near Ponte de Lima or Val de Poldros with a descent finish to Melgaço. Or my personal favourite, the cobbled climb to Serra Amarela (Ermida) near Ponte da Barca...

I was born in Monção like 10km from the bottom of Vale de Podros and I can tell you it is an absolutely amazing climb.

That area is full of brutal climbs that would make a great mountain stage. A shame the Volta never really ventures around the Minho Area.

• Sad
I was born in Monção like 10km from the bottom of Vale de Podros and I can tell you it is an absolutely amazing climb.

That area is full of brutal climbs that would make a great mountain stage. A shame the Volta never really ventures around the Minho Area.
I've climbed it from Monção and I found it rather brutal, the average slope of 8% is a bit misleading since it's very irregular or at least I found it very hard to pace myself there.

View: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1311023096237830144

Looks like they were indeed slow, but I suspect that the last 3-4km of the penultimate climb was ridden very hard.
According to the same source Amaro climbed it in 22:40.
One has to consider that he already attacked with 38km to go, that's still a really strong performance.
Still, when Figueiredo dropped him on the penultimate climb I wouldn't have guessed that he'd finish ahead of him in the end.

• Wow
Lazkano really suffering on these uncategorised ramps. A few of which really ought to have been categorised. Should be safe from here, the group behind isn't too worried about the sprint it seems, since it's really been trimmed heavily by the climbing. This one really had the potential to be a banana skin, and certainly not a sprinters' stage as the ones into Viseu often tend to end up being.

Quite a bit of interest in that group of poursuivants. Two from Burgos-BH, two from Delko just rode across to join it. Sérgio Martín monitoring for Caja Rural, but now a split in the bunch behind gives extra impetus, Lazkano could really see his gap tumble in this last few kilometres. Suddenly it doesn't seem so cut and dried...

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS