• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

85th Tour de Suisse (2.UWT) // June 12th - 19th 2022

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very difficult stage: up&down non stop and hot weather. Vlasov confirmed his Tour podium aspirations and looks the favourite to win this race as well. Thomas strong as well. Evenepoel lost the race today, which was totally unexpected. Hunger knock? Dehydration? Weak day? Big MTFs are ahead (esp. tomorrow's).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah I don't get all this talk of heat being a problem.

If this is considered 'bad', people should remember the TdF & Vuelta have often traditionally been furnaces, irrespective of perhaps a few cooler summers. Last year's Vuelta was brutal for example, but everyone coped.

Still, couldn't the first hot period be a different kind of fish than when your body has had time to get used to it.

Reactions: postmanhat
Still, couldn't the first hot period be a different kind of fish than when your body has had time to get used to it.

Speaking as someone who does an outdoors, physical job, this is definitely the case in my experience. Same with the first cold snap of the winter. It does get easier as you learn to adapt over time, but perhaps that may explain the relatively poor performance of younger riders today, Higuita aside.

So, tomorrow is about real climbers.
Will Vlasov live up to the expectations ? I've seen on twitter that he is bad when the climb is long.
I only see Thomas or Fuglsang as rivals, but maybe someone "far" today, will be better on real climbs (Uran, Higuita, DFM, Evenepoel, Pinot ?).
Let's hope it's not a snail pace for half of the climbs.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So, tomorrow is about real climbers.
Will Vlasov live up to the expectations ? I've seen on twitter that he is bad when the climb is long.
I only see Thomas or Fuglsang as rivals, but maybe someone "far" today, will be better on real climbs (Uran, Higuita, DFM, Evenepoel, Pinot ?).
Let's hope it's not a snail pace for half of the climbs.

Vlasov is bad on long climbs? Haven't recognized that yet, doubt it a bit. We will see, but looks super strong for now.