• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A little freaked out after a crash last weekend

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I went over the bars last Sunday when my road bike hit a rock I didn't see while going into a tunnel. I landed on the front left of my helmet and did a facial skid (the only thought I remember is that wow, I'm sliding on my head). I ended with some road rash on my chin and hands but I was able to ride back home.

I was looking at the helmet I was wearing today and realized how close I came to a really, really bad injury. The front edge is compressed and cracked. My riding glasses were badly scratched too (saved part of my face I guess).

I'm sure many of you have had crashes either where you very lucky (me) or you suffered bad injuries.

I've crashed before but never landed on my head. It's really got me thinking about lots of things besides just cycling (I'm lucky to be here).

How do I move past this and not become paranoid about riding?

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
richwagmn said:
I went over the bars last Sunday when my road bike hit a rock I didn't see while going into a tunnel. I landed on the front left of my helmet and did a facial skid (the only thought I remember is that wow, I'm sliding on my head). I ended with some road rash on my chin and hands but I was able to ride back home.

I was looking at the helmet I was wearing today and realized how close I came to a really, really bad injury. The front edge is compressed and cracked. My riding glasses were badly scratched too (saved part of my face I guess).

I'm sure many of you have had crashes either where you very lucky (me) or you suffered bad injuries.

I've crashed before but never landed on my head. It's really got me thinking about lots of things besides just cycling (I'm lucky to be here).

You'll never get passed it. The trauma you have will likely evolve into a more severe form of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

I'm have concerns about your rock story. The size of the rock you hit would have to be quite large in order to completely stop your front wheel and cause you to cartwheel over the bars.

You might be a serious **** and not disclosing that. And so I'm not sure what to make of this whole rock in the tunnel incident.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
You'll never get passed it. The trauma you have will likely evolve into a more severe form of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

Garbage.

Yes, some people have issues after crashes and they can last some time. However there are plenty of cyclist out there who completely forget about a crash after a short time and go back to riding as aggressively as they did before. Classic examples would be Stuart O'Grady and Jens Voigt. I am also aware of numerous riders who would be seen cornering at very high speed in criteriums in races while still visibly healing from crashes that they had on that same corner a week earlier.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:

Two ways that have worked for me in the past:

1) Ride a LOT while trying to avoid the circumstances of the original crash. Just enjoy the bike. Your confidence in more normal circumstances will come back quickly and by the time you get to that situation again you won't necessarily even think about it as you do it.

2) I know this one is a bit weird but - crash more often! seriously, the more, low angle of incidence crashes you have where you come up with burn style injuries rather than bruising, the more you realise that they are not so bad. in my case, years ago I was high sided and hurt quite badly which made me a bit nervous but around a month later, I slid out on a bend and low sided. Got up with no injuries and a smile on my face. From then on, cornering confidence was 100% again.

There is a reason freestyle riders are comfortable doing big jumps. It is mainly because the majority of times they get it wrong they come out with minor scrapes. So when they have a big one and get hurt they still dont always assume that all accidents put you in hospital. When you are a careful roadie and crash once a decade, if you have a bad one you start thinking all stacks are bad.

+1. I find that the best way to get over a crash that really shakes my confidence is to get out and do a really familiar ride or two, preferably with a bunch, just at an easy social pace. By doing this you'll find yourself just going through all the right motions again and enjoying being on your bike.

After this, GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CRASHED. Take it easy, keep the cause in the back of your mind but don't dwell on it. If you went too fast into a bad line, take it easier in the corners. If you hit something on the road because you weren't familiar with the area, keep an eye out for what you hit. If it was a freak accident, then going back will simply confirm that.

Keep your chin up and take your time, and remember why you ride!

Martin318is said:
Two ways that have worked for me in the past:

1) Ride a LOT while trying to avoid the circumstances of the original crash. Just enjoy the bike. Your confidence in more normal circumstances will come back quickly and by the time you get to that situation again you won't necessarily even think about it as you do it.

2) I know this one is a bit weird but - crash more often! seriously, the more, low angle of incidence crashes you have where you come up with burn style injuries rather than bruising, the more you realise that they are not so bad. in my case, years ago I was high sided and hurt quite badly which made me a bit nervous but around a month later, I slid out on a bend and low sided. Got up with no injuries and a smile on my face. From then on, cornering confidence was 100% again.

There is a reason freestyle riders are comfortable doing big jumps. It is mainly because the majority of times they get it wrong they come out with minor scrapes. So when they have a big one and get hurt they still dont always assume that all accidents put you in hospital. When you are a careful roadie and crash once a decade, if you have a bad one you start thinking all stacks are bad.

Sound advice, in my opinion. I was once unlucky enough to crash twice in the same day and both of them were so close to being a lot worse. When you think about it though, almost every crash we have could have been really terrible give or take a few degrees or kmph. Not that I saw it that way at the time.

What you're going through is completely normal - and because cycling's not your livelihood you have more reason than the pros to pause for thought - and it will just take time and a lot of patience.

It's a rationalisation process. It just proves you're intelligent and you recognise the enormity of the risk you take riding a piece of slim carbon / aluminium / steel around at high speeds. :) I suppose that we're all of us here saying get back on the bike because it's really a question of regaining enough confidence that you're willing to accept that risk equation (high risk vs. low probability) again.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:

I'm have concerns about your rock story. The size of the rock you hit would have to be quite large in order to completely stop your front wheel and cause you to cartwheel over the bars.

You might be a serious **** and not disclosing that. And so I'm not sure what to make of this whole rock in the tunnel incident.

The "rock" I hit was a piece of limestone about 4" wide by 1.5" tall.

Not sure why you felt a reason to post at all.

A

Anonymous

TERMINATOR said:

Nope. I hit a pice of dislodged asphalt (irregular shape, rounded edges, about 2.5 inches in diameter or so) that I didn't see kicking my front wheel a few inches to my right. Normally it would be fine but it was unexpected and both my hands came off my hoods and down I went. Hit my head, wasted the helmet and skidded around on my back. It's the only lime I've ever had road rash on my lower back. Got both elbows too.

It does not take much.

A

Anonymous

L'arriviste said:
Sound advice, in my opinion. I was once unlucky enough to crash twice in the same day and both of them were so close to being a lot worse. When you think about it though, almost every crash we have could have been really terrible give or take a few degrees or kmph. Not that I saw it that way at the time.

What you're going through is completely normal - and because cycling's not your livelihood you have more reason than the pros to pause for thought - and it will just take time and a lot of patience.

It's a rationalisation process. It just proves you're intelligent and you recognise the enormity of the risk you take riding a piece of slim carbon / aluminium / steel around at high speeds. :) I suppose that we're all of us here saying get back on the bike because it's really a question of regaining enough confidence that you're willing to accept that risk equation (high risk vs. low probability) again.

Are you Denis Menchov?:D

I think your crash is a good indication that you need to be a little more careful...
Yes, I do realize that 'freak accidents' can and do happen, but they happen less often with extra care!

And that extra care will give confidence to keep riding.

Don't force yourself to take unnecessary risks.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
(To Terminator) Not sure why you felt a reason to post at all.

This is part 2 of the advice on how to get back to riding like normal again ...

Ignore the negative comments of people who weren't there. Most likely, they're reflecting their own fears and insecurities about riding on you. Your prang may remind them of one of their own - and that's something that they can't handle.

Also ignore any sanctimonious comments about your riding skills - especially from people who weren't there. (Note, this is different to your buddies giving you **** for crashing. That's an important part of the recovery process - and is best meted out over a couple of beers! ;)) Definitely spend a little - note a little - time working out if you could do things differently to avoid a crash in similar circumstances in the future, but don't obsess about it.

And most importantly - like others here have said - get back out and ride. You'll be surprised how few km it takes to consign a crash to distant memory.

As one of my motorbike buddies and I always used to say to each other:
Ride fast - and ride safe :)

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
i have had 2 concussions broken ribs chipped bone in elbow abdominal contusion nice cuts and of course lots of deep road rash and bruises stuff i have forgoten etc... also seen others really get hurt life changing injuries that can shake you a bit its life though. still ride daily no reason to stop doing what you love. i will say as i get older i dont enter pointless crashteriums or race dangerous courses as much as i use to other than that i try and ride safe.... i do commute though depending on route that can be dangerous....
p.s ignore certain people on here especially that one guy mental child rofl.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Nope. I hit a pice of dislodged asphalt (irregular shape, rounded edges, about 2.5 inches in diameter or so) that I didn't see kicking my front wheel a few inches to my right. Normally it would be fine but it was unexpected and both my hands came off my hoods and down I went. Hit my head, wasted the helmet and skidded around on my back. It's the only lime I've ever had road rash on my lower back. Got both elbows too.

It does not take much.

I think this is similar to what happened to me. It happens so fast. I remember my wheel being turned and next being on the ground.

Yes, it doesn't take much. But I also think of all the other times luck was more on my side and I didn't crash at all.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the comments everyone. I plan to get out tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

I will try to ride a little more cautiously too.

I honestly can't imagine not riding. It just gets in your blood.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well if you plan on riding through tunnels get a LIGHT! Well if you don't want a ticket from a French cop :D

Back to accidents, they happen even to the best of riders who supposedly have the best ride handling skills sometimes you can't avoid an ACCIDENT! I have had crashes where I have to go find my bike! Luckily I was able to find it with by standers wondering where the bike that almost hit them came from :D, luckily they believed my story of an accident and didn't think I tossed the bike at them. I've also seen some of the most horrific/gruesome freak accidents on rides/races, those would require their own thread and for most a group therapy session.

Back to your freak-out-ness, you just have to get back on the bike for never ride. You've probably have also seen/heard of accidents in automobiles or planes and still drive/fly so same for riding, get back on the bike but get a light for tunnels.

42x16ss said:
+1. I find that the best way to get over a crash that really shakes my confidence is to get out and do a really familiar ride or two, preferably with a bunch...After this, GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CRASHED. Take it easy, keep the cause in the back of your mind but don't dwell on it.

+1 to this.

I've only had one really bad crash, on a sweeping, technical descent we called "dead cyclists corner" before I even crashed on it. Didn't break anything but road rash all over, still have the asphalt embedded in my elbows. It took me a while to descend that fast again, but going to the same descent helped.

Check your bike for cracks. If you have carbon forks/bars/stem then think about binning them. Thats why I ride alloy steerers etc as they give more post crash security.

Having said that Ive found 2 cracks on my stems in the last month whilst cleaning. One was an easton and the other a ritchey WCS. Cant check your stuff too much. ;)

#On 'getting over it', well thats just a matter of shifting our focus. What we focus on is how we feel. You can focus on the dangers or life or you can focus on how lucky you are. How that your helmet did its job and you walked away alive. Loving it!