• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A pair of David Walsh interviews - Clinic Edition

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dazed and Confused said:
Sastre may have sad puppy eyes, but he wasn't clean.

And these days Journalists can be persuaded to rewrite a press release over a nice dinner at the Ritz. I don't know who picks up the tab, but in the end Murdoch will have reimburse it one way or another.
I agree that Sastre wasn't clean, but he isn't any dirtier (from what we know) than Evans and Wiggo.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Ofc all of them Anglo :rolleyes:

Perilously close to a comment that would earn otherd a telling off.

Clearly the evidence v Sastre is no worse than v Evans or wiggins, but to be fair to Walsh , armstrong was 'anglo', was he not? Which rather renders the insinuation foolish.

martinvickers said:
Perilously close to a comment that would earn otherd a telling off.

Clearly the evidence v Sastre is no worse than v Evans or wiggins, but to be fair to Walsh , armstrong was 'anglo', was he not? Which rather renders the insinuation foolish.

+1

To add to this, he didn't spare S Roche his fellow countryman in the past.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
At least he is not accusing Sayar...
David Walsh said:
Walsh: That's too strong a word, but I've heard things about him that make me very concerned. Of the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix I did not enjoy at least. I can not enjoy course when I think they are deceiving me.
Good to see clean Brad is beating this fraud, not to forget clean Chris is losing by just 3 seconds at Tirreno.

Dope does not work.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Ferminal said:
FGL are you able to translate the bit where he talks about doping in GTs vs classics?

Cheers!

''Sky domineert de rittenkoersen, maar mijn inschatting is dat het tegenwoordig veel moeilijker is om je te doperen voor een grote ronde dan voor een eendagskoers.

Journalist: Dat gaat in tegen de wielerlogica. Grote rondes zijn veel zwaarder.

Walsh: Ja, maar je moet er vooral voor zorgen dat je op de dag van de wedstrijd clean bent, want het systeem van tests buiten competitie is lang niet waterdicht. In een grote ronde moet je in principe tijdens de koers verder doperen, en dat is nu toch wel lastig geworden, vermoed ik.

=

Sky dominates the stage races but to my estimate it is much harder to dope for a GT than to a one day race.

Journalist: that contradicts to all cycling logic, GT's are much harder.

Walsh: Yes but you mostly have to make sure you are clean the day before the race because the system of OOC testing is still not waterproof. In a GT you will have to dope throughout the race, and that has become hard, I suspect.
tttttttttttttttttten chars

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
1 right out of 3 aint a good score :rolleyes:

The reality is Walsh may be wrong about all three of these guys. For the life of me I cannot comprehend why people find it so hard to fathom that Greg Lemond may have also doped. Just because there is no evidence against Lemond, who is also an outspoken advocate against the use of performance enhancing drugs, proves absolutely nothing. Like, you would have to ask the question "why would Lemond be the only clean rider to have won the Tour in the last thirty odd years"?. It is possible Lemond also doped. After all he won the Tour three times, against athletes who were doped up with all the pharmaceuticals that they could get there hands on at the time. Now over the course of a three week grand tour it would have been IMPOSSIBLE for Lemond to beat all these dopers clean. I am not buying all that Vo2 Max of 92.5 myth. I know that there are many who will defend Lemond. But be very careful for you may be in reality perpetuating a myth.

Schwartzchov said:
The reality is Walsh may be wrong about all three of these guys. For the life of me I cannot comprehend why people find it so hard to fathom that Greg Lemond may have also doped. Just because there is no evidence against Lemond, who is also an outspoken advocate against the use of performance enhancing drugs, proves absolutely nothing. Like, you would have to ask the question "why would Lemond be the only clean rider to have won the Tour in the last thirty odd years"?. It is possible Lemond also doped. After all he won the Tour three times, against athletes who were doped up with all the pharmaceuticals that they could get there hands on at the time. Now over the course of a three week grand tour it would have been IMPOSSIBLE for Lemond to beat all these dopers clean. I am not buying all that Vo2 Max of 92.5 myth. I know that there are many who will defend Lemond. But be very careful for you may be in reality perpetuating a myth.
See that's the problem. Who are you to know what's possible or not.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Schwartzchov said:

With LeMond it is very easy. He at the time of cycling's height of popularity took a shot at the golden goose and has been doing consistently until USADA effectively buried that goose. Now if LeMond had doped someone would crawled out fo the woodwork and told us, expecially as there was a 300,000dollar incentive put up by the golden goose to do so.

So on that simple basis (but there are many that weigh in his favour) he is the last clean winner of the TdF, not that there were ever many.

So Walsh says he believes in Wiggins and he's a "wrong 'un". What happens when Kimmage comes to the same conclusions?...which he probably will, ultimately. Will he be put in the "corrupt/sell out" box too?

Funny as hell. It's quite simple, Walsh believes in Wiggins because there's nothing to indicate otherwise to him...and that is because he IS clean. In the end some of the clinic will get it....others will cling onto their beliefs regardless.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
armchairclimber said:
So Walsh says he believes in Wiggins and he's a "wrong 'un". What happens when Kimmage comes to the same conclusions?...which he probably will, ultimately. Will he be put in the "corrupt/sell out" box too?

Funny as hell. It's quite simple, Walsh believes in Wiggins because there's nothing to indicate otherwise to him...and that is because he IS clean. In the end some of the clinic will get it....others will cling onto their beliefs regardless.

The simplicity is that Walsh has not seen any evidence to make him beleive Sky or Wiggins are doping. Remember Walsh did not think of Armstrong as a doper and in fact had a lot of admiration for him in the beginning.

Kimmage lost his job for taking the opposite stance. Maybe Walsh is erring on the side of employment ;)

It's nice of you to share your knowledge with the group. In capital letters, no less, to ensure that everybody drew the correct conclusion.

To be able to say with such certainty that Bradley is clean, however, I am assuming you must be either the man himself or somebody else extremely close to him (as stalking is kind of a problem).

del1962 said:
Lol - people turn on Walsh because he does not follow the herd mentality around here.
No, I turn on Walsh because what he's saying sounds ridiculous to me and it's not consistent with what I'm seeing during and after the races. Should I take everything he says as gospel just because he's Walsh?

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
To be able to say with such certainty that Bradley is dirty, however, I am assuming you must be either the man himself or somebody else extremely close to him (as stalking is kind of a problem).

Fixed it :p

Other side of the coin and the above quote could apply to many posters in the clinic.

Libertine Seguros said:
It's nice of you to share your knowledge with the group. In capital letters, no less, to ensure that everybody drew the correct conclusion.

To be able to say with such certainty that Bradley is clean, however, I am assuming you must be either the man himself or somebody else extremely close to him (as stalking is kind of a problem).

Well, that's for me to know and I certainly won't be explaining how I know in the clinic. KnoworrImeanlike.

hrotha said:
No, I turn on Walsh because what he's saying sounds ridiculous to me and it's not consistent with what I'm seeing during and after the races. Should I take everything he says as gospel just because he's Walsh?

Why turn on him though, just accept he has a different position to you and his might be as informed as yours.