• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ads In Threads

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What level of ads is acceptable?

• If these ads stay in any form, I go

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
bicing said:
Meanwhile, passionate supporters of other forums give a donation to keep it running because they understand that ads suck.

Yep. No one minds some ads - most of us understand the need to try and generate some income.

Remember the poll? When the overwhelming majority accepted / voted for ads at the bottom? But here we are, weeks later, and that has been ignored. So, not only do we have the annoying ads where we specifically don't want them, our requests have been ignored. Several weeks ago now, Daniel seemed to be taking notice, but ll that has happened is that some of the ads have changed in nature, and the images have bene removed from the inline ads. And they've added more at the bottom!

Really, when you've got a team of volunteers running your operation, isn't that just slapping them in the face. If I was an admin or mod on here, I'd be seriously thinking whether I wanted to give up my precious, free time to support an organisation that so blatantly doesn't listen and doesn't communicate.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
bicing said:
Meanwhile, passionate supporters of other forums give a donation to keep it running because they understand that ads suck.

thirteen said:
and they are given the choice to do so, rather than the ads simply appearing without warning.

Yea, a box that nags you every page like a bum on a corner with a tin cup is a great improvement :D :D :p

A

Anonymous

ElChingon said:
Yea, a box that nags you every page like a bum on a corner with a tin cup is a great improvement :D :D :p

Well one page, and there is a button to hide it. ;)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Polish said:
It is a stretch to say the ads have made the forum less interesting. If anything, things became a bit MORE interesting for a bit. Although less visits required to the BoB thread wink wink.

And the forum on the way down because of the ads? Doubt that.

If anything, the fact that it is the off season and even more important - HWMNBN not getting indicted - made the forum go downhill for many waa.

Lot of anger too. To be expected. Comes after denial.

But as the new season begins and more and more people accept the HWMNBN situation, the forum may become more "interesting" to those that have lost their interest. Hang in there guys. Tough it out. GRRRR.
Pretty much- there might be an influx when the wider public hears more on HWMNBM.

Polish said:
If anything, the fact that it is the off season and even more important - HWMNBN not getting indicted - made the forum go downhill for many waa.

Again with this. Only a small section of the forum cares about riders from the ****ing 90's.

The vast majority of the forum talk about real riders in the here and now, so the fact that some rider in some case few people are paying attention to, has gone one way or the other makes little difference and certainatly won't account for such a fall in posts.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Again with this. Only a small section of the forum cares about riders from the ****ing 90's.

The vast majority of the forum talk about real riders in the here and now, so the fact that some rider in some case few people are paying attention to, has gone one way or the other makes little difference and certainatly won't account for such a fall in posts.

Who was talking about a so-called fall in posts?
Not me.
I was addressing a so-called drop in interesting forum issues.

And dude, its the off-season. Granted, the Santos Tour Down Under was racing during your protest. But if HWMNBN'd was racing, believe you me posts would have skyrocketed. Look at 2 years ago.

The HWMNBN'd thread in the Pro Racing section is STILL the most popular thread ever there. And it has been locked by Ferminal. The Radioshack-Nissan-Trek post is about move into the Top5 over there too BTW.

And the clinic revolves around HWMNBN.
Someone grab the Staff of Magnus quick.

BTW, do lurkers count for anything?
Or is it only posts?
Are people from the Velorooms forum lurking here?
Sneak mode.
Even the 12 who vowed to leave waawaa.

Guuuys... what is HWMNBN?

Have to say that while it would be better if the ads completely disappeared, it's still an improvement the way it is now. With the middle-of-thread-ads being without pictures and the pictured-ads being below the reply buttons.
And cycling-related...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Guuuys... what is HWMNBN?

Have to say that while it would be better if the ads completely disappeared, it's still an improvement the way it is now. With the middle-of-thread-ads being without pictures and the pictured-ads being below the reply buttons.
And cycling-related...

cyclings lord voldemort :S.....

I concur the ads are now acceptable I have fiddled with adblock to allow ads on cyclingnews on, I find some of the stories interesting aswell, I am a semi regular clicker of them.. If I had a choice I would remove the flashing ones at the side they annoy me more but I can live with them..

Polish said:
And dude, its the off-season. Granted, the Santos Tour Down Under was racing during your protest. But if HWMNBN'd was racing, believe you me posts would have skyrocketed.

Lance rode the Tour down under last year.

Lets compare the posts between last year (Lance present) and this year (Lance not present).

Stage 1

2011 -172 posts
2012 - 360 posts

188 more posts without Lance

Stage 2

2011 -173 posts
2012 - 380

207 more posts without Lance

Stage 3

2011 - 172posts
2012 -185 posts

13 more posts without Lance

Stage 4

2011 -102 posts
2012 -285 posts

183 more posts without Lance

Stage 5

2011 267-posts
2012 -671 posts

404 more posts without Lance

Stage 6

2011 -169 posts
2012 - 241posts

72 more posts without Lance

1,139 more posts over 6 stages in 2012 without Lance than 2011 with Lance.

But if HWMNBN'd was racing, believe you me posts would have skyrocketed.

You stick by this? Seems to me like they skyrocketed without him.

Check mate.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Lance rode the Tour down under last year.

Lets compare the posts between last year (Lance present) and this year (Lance not present).

Stage 1

2011 -172 posts
2012 - 360 posts

188 more posts without Lance

Stage 2

2011 -173 posts
2012 - 380

207 more posts without Lance

Stage 3

2011 - 172posts
2012 -185 posts

13 more posts without Lance

Stage 4

2011 -102 posts
2012 -285 posts

183 more posts without Lance

Stage 5

2011 267-posts
2012 -671 posts

404 more posts without Lance

Stage 6

2011 -169 posts
2012 - 241posts

72 more posts without Lance

1,139 more posts over 6 stages in 2012 without Lance than 2011 with Lance.

You stick by this? Seems to me like they skyrocketed without him.

Check mate.

Wow, that is suprising.
Even without HWMNBN and with the protest going on - posts were UP.

I was wrong about the skyrockets. Duds.

Page views were probably up too.
And THATS the important metric.
Lurking/Pageviews/Clicking on Ads - that is far more important than Posts.
Posting doesn't pay the bills.
Lurking does lurk lurk.

kiss my kardashian a$$ is trending on twitter.

images