• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ads In Threads

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What level of ads is acceptable?

• If these ads stay in any form, I go

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
it would appear it is up and running.

My experience with a similiar scenario tells me that this will be a lot of fun.
Especially in the beginning. :D

Could you please reserve the Susan Westemeyer account for me ?

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
My experience with a similiar scenario tells me that this will be a lot of fun.
Especially in the beginning. :D

Could you please reserve the Susan Westemeyer account for me ?

Susan Westemeyer in person has taken that account Cobbles :cool:

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
just some guy said:

:eek:

I see, I see....
I am late to the party (busy at the moment) and didn't really expect that.
What an embarrassing joke.
Or can we perhaps delete this conversation ? :D
I would then leave the room, and then come back in again....

Mewmewmew13 also gone. And Barrus. damn.
I always wanted to know what it is like to be a woman in the internet.

btw, 3 out of 5 ad-pictures are women in bikini. Cool.

A

Anonymous

just some guy said:

she registered Daniel Benson as well. Im considering banning her for having a sock puppet :D

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
I'm still surprised by the amount of people who expect things to change for them when the site is for free. Maybe if people offered to pay or sent the owners of the site some lump sums I would think it would change ASAP. But to date I have not read of anyone wanting to do that, odd...
Nothing odd about it whatsoever. As was throughly covered during the skimwords debacle (which did, in fact, result in a reversal of decision) Why should anyone here pay for anything when we provide the content...for free?

(Btw, it's a rhetorical question. Free site, free content. Sounds like a good deal to me.)

FWIW, Adblock was successful in clearing out the garbage from the threads for me but I was still able to see some other more legitimate ads. On principal, I've now filtered out every single thing that appears on these pages besides the threads themselves. Congratulations Future Publishing. Well done.

Are the "powers-that-be" cowardly or just plain stupid? Doesn't really matter anymore, I suppose.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Meh nothing has changed... disappointing... I'm done with this forum... I'll just enter to say "hi" sometimes...

mmm the "other side" sounds like fun... wait for me guys...

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Checked in to see if anything has improved and was greeted by a picture of Newt Gingrich along side Kenny Loggins. I just can't deal with this garbage in my eye line.

Maybe I'll configure another browser so I can come back for the race threads during the classics.

The posts on the last few pages seem to indicate that some people have congregated elsewhere but I'm not cool enough to know where.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ansimi said:
Checked in to see if anything has improved and was greeted by a picture of Newt Gingrich along side Kenny Loggins. I just can't deal with this garbage in my eye line.

Maybe I'll configure another browser so I can come back for the race threads during the classics.

The posts on the last few pages seem to indicate that some people have congregated elsewhere but I'm not cool enough to know where.

"I'm not cool enough to know where."

a place where there is 'rooms' for a 'velo' ;)

it is not 'news' for 'cycling' but something else.

A

Anonymous

so the solution to the picture ads in under the first post was to have text ads under the first post and picture ads under the last post.

Not sure how even more ads addresses the problem. :D

TeamSkyFans said:
so the solution to the picture ads in under the first post was to have text ads under the first post and picture ads under the last post.

Not sure how even more ads addresses the problem. :D
more ads for us to block :D more chances that we will never see anything to click, even if we may have been interested. i don't even look now -- i just block.

really bright marketing move. NOT.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Fantastic solution guys, really great way of listening to people, just put up more ads. One row beneath the first post and two more rows beneath the bottom post. AND still these ads ensure that the mods will need to be hypocritical in attacking inappropriate talk.

Great listening skills from those over at FP

So HERE we have Daniel saying they're going to move the ads down and remove the bikini nonsense (16th Jan)

And HERE we have AussieGoddess asking if anything's happening (24th Jan)

So, not only has Daniel gone back on what he said, but he's actually increased the ads in the face of all the complaints on here. And without having the decency to explain.

I know, I know, it's their ball, and they dictate what game we play. The problem is that the good players will leave / have left to play in a game where they're respected for creating content and encouraging web traffic. And we have three ads to the right, and a banner ad (currently Currys - yeah, definitely cycling-related) across the top.

It's really disappointing to see a company in the communication industry not communicating. If they took a couple of minutes to explain, it would defuse a lot of the frustration being felt.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I had a look on internet explorer at the forum here(without adblock) I think this is actually a bit of an improvement, although the mid thread ads are still a bit annoying the pictures have gone from them and the large ad box at the bottom is out the way of even the quick reply box.. I approve, except the mid thread ads I hope they will be done away with one day..

although to be honest they are just about the only ads I have ever clicked on the internet :S... also still sticking with adblock

And now we have 10 ads at the bottom, the five text ads after post 1, Currys at the top and 3 block ads on the right. This is getting silly.

Oh, and at a time when the UCI are being criticised for not treating women's cycling seriously, featuring a scantily-clad Polish cross-country racer in a provocative pose is probably not the most sensitive thing to do. This place is becoming a real joke.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
AdBlock is not blocking the text ads after the first post may have to install NoScript also. I now view Cyclingnews only on Chrome. Everything else on Firefox

It wasnt for me either I right clicked on the box and went to the wee adblock bit and block this ad, then a wee slider comes up and you slide it untill the box disappears... err not that i am encouraging adblock :S

I found (turning Adblock on again after my earlier rant) that the bottom ads were appearing. Adding the ads and the box to the Adblock Easy Create Filter (on Chrome) made them disappear. Hurrah! No ads at all :)