• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AICAR, GW1516 Wada can test, can the French ?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

bigcog said:
Isn't it a carcinogen although I suppose some people won't be put off by that and I was under the impression that they had a test for this for quite some years, is that not the case ?

Tests not reliable as body can make
Some scientists saying it Improves performance up to 15%
Rumour in the peloton is that it is back and some teams and riders are on it
I mean look at some riders who havent ever shown the level they are on now and are over the age of 30 ??

Even the ketone drinks do not provide a level playing field ...improving recovery and helping shed weight
Jumbo Visma are on ketones
I expect Ineos are

Re: Re:

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
bigcog said:
Isn't it a carcinogen although I suppose some people won't be put off by that and I was under the impression that they had a test for this for quite some years, is that not the case ?
The GW1516 is the carcinogenic one - the AICAR is, if anything, anti-neoplastic and has been used in cancer research to inhibit tumor growth

GW1516 is super-risky because it induces lots of cancers in laboratory animals in high doses, and there is no reason to believe it would be safe for human use

Both the AICAR and the GW1516 were put on the banned list before there were even tests for them -
GW1516 detection in blood was perfected first , there was an AICAR test approved in 2015, and the methods for AICAR testing, are getting better - it's a hard one because it occurs naturally in the human body so there has to be detection of exogenous AICAR.

Nobody has ever been sanctioned for AICAR as a result of testing - shows that the methods / implementation are still weak. Found this one case which was non-analytical :
https://www.usada.org/abdelmounaim-harroufi-receives-doping-sanction/
A track runner got banned in 2017 because people found AICAR in his possession and he admitted that he was taking it
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the GW1516 dose for the mice really high and over a long period of time (6 months)?
The stuff seems to be pretty popular as a fat burner in the lifting and bodybuilding community.

TRENDING THREADS