• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1006 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 12, 2015
Visit site
Many years of riding and putting pressure on only the 4 larges toes have rendered my smallest toe biomechanically inert, and I dislocate them with the slightest pressure. I pop them pack into place immediately and... like anew!

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Carols said:
The_Cheech said:
Vino attacks everyone said:
The_Cheech said:
If it's just a dislocated shoulder they can just pop it back in and, provided they take care of it, he will be able to ride tomorrow.

depends on how it happened, but indeed, a I've had a "straightforward" dislocated shoulder. Pop it back in, it will be sore as hell, but he could in theory do this. ofc, the amount of time he use out of the saddle will make this a bigger disadvantage for him than say Kloden

I got my shoulder dislocated three or four times about 20 years ago during martial arts competitions and the medics would always pop the shoulder back in immediately. Although the shoulder area was sore the day after it was bearable pain.

No medication needed either.

Yes and you were riding the Giro to win right? You are unbelievable :( Go smoke some pot....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down Alberto, I'm merely talking about the severity of the injury, which, if it only involves a shoulder dislocation, should not prevent Alberto from starting tomorrow.

Tyler Hamilton rode a few stages of the TdF with a broken collarbone (or so I think,) thus a shoulder dislocation shouldn't be a problem.

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
So is this something that can gradually heal over the next few weeks and beyond so it won't be a problem for the Tour?

If he's able to put up with the inflamation that usually accompanies the discolation (and again, this is something an adult would be able to do without any problem) he'll be back to 100% in two-three days.

The_Cheech said:
Carols said:
The_Cheech said:
Vino attacks everyone said:
The_Cheech said:
If it's just a dislocated shoulder they can just pop it back in and, provided they take care of it, he will be able to ride tomorrow.

depends on how it happened, but indeed, a I've had a "straightforward" dislocated shoulder. Pop it back in, it will be sore as hell, but he could in theory do this. ofc, the amount of time he use out of the saddle will make this a bigger disadvantage for him than say Kloden

I got my shoulder dislocated three or four times about 20 years ago during martial arts competitions and the medics would always pop the shoulder back in immediately. Although the shoulder area was sore the day after it was bearable pain.

No medication needed either.

Yes and you were riding the Giro to win right? You are unbelievable :( Go smoke some pot....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down Alberto, I'm merely talking about the severity of the injury, which, if it only involves a shoulder dislocation, should not prevent Alberto from starting tomorrow.

Tyler Hamilton rode a few stages of the TdF with a broken collarbone (or so I think,) thus a shoulder dislocation shouldn't be a problem.
It will be a massive problem. The discomfort of sitting on a bike is going to drain him, the extra pain is going to make pushing 100% difficult, the recovery is going to require a lot of energy etc.

LaFlorecita said:
Jack_89 said:
Excuse my ignorance , but how can he ride with a dislocated shoulder?! It's.impossible ?!
Once they pop it back in it will be very sore but that can be treated with painkillers. He will be stiff but it should not prevent him from riding. Of course I don't know if there's additional damage.

Depends on the painkillers I guess, doubt he'll be allowed to take the good stuff

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:
Relax Carol, he's just giving us some info about the potential consequences of a dislocated shoulder.

Pot may help with the pain though :D
Where's Zorzoli, we need some TUE's ASAP

Even if he starts, he cannot be even close to recovered enough not to lose aeons on the weekend. Its the last thing I want for him, but I think he'd be better to abandon than simply go on with nothing to gain.

Don't understand how the hell he rode to the finish line. Didn't he notice something?!??

Electress said:
Don't understand how the hell he rode to the finish line. Didn't he notice something?!??
That probably suggests it wasn't something super terrible...
CE-w7HIWAAA9izM.jpg

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Having dislocated my shoulder a few times, i can say they were quick recoveries. I think where problems can arise is when connective tissue is affected adversely, so it will probably come down to how the dislocation occurred as someone else mentioned.

May 12, 2015
Visit site
JRanton said:
He'll be absolutely fine. The drama queen.

Thank you!

I don't know why people are making such a stink about a dislocated shoulder.

Like I said, if Hamilton was able to ride with a broken collarbone, Alberto will certainly be able to ride with an inflamation.

If he doesn't, it won't be because of a shoulder inflamation, which can be treated with painkillers so that he can ride the entire stage pain-free.