Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1019 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
He doesn't focus on classics because he doesn't want to. End of story.
I don't care whether he wants to or not. I'm discussing whether he could win. You said he couldn't.

LaFlorecita said:
:confused: I agree with ILoveCycling, Alberto could win a WC but his chances are very small, he needs a better sprint, then he would have a decent chance on hilly courses like WC 2012-2013-2014
So i'm responding to that. Whether or not he wants to is an entirely different argument and not one i want to argue.
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
0
0
Of course he can win a clasic. He podiumed already in Fleche some years ago. But the chance he actually wins LBL or Lombardia, is smaller then winning a Giro/Tour/Vuelta. So that's why he doesn't target the classics.
 
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
LaFlorecita said:
He doesn't focus on classics because he doesn't want to. End of story.
I don't care whether he wants to or not. I'm discussing whether he could win. You said he couldn't.

LaFlorecita said:
:confused: I agree with ILoveCycling, Alberto could win a WC but his chances are very small, he needs a better sprint, then he would have a decent chance on hilly courses like WC 2012-2013-2014
So i'm responding to that. Whether or not he wants to is an entirely different argument and not one i want to argue.
Ah I still don't think he could win :p well he could, but his chances are minimal unless he focuses solely on the classics, then I'd say he has small chance. I was just trying to say it is useless arguing as he won't try to win them anyway :p
 
Mar 13, 2015
2,637
0
0
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:
ILovecycling said:
The Hitch said:
Also if Contador's legacy is so important, why do all of you go full Jihad on me everytime I criticize Contador for not bothering with the WC, or monuments?

Cos you know what would actually be way more valuable to Contador's legacy than "another gt". A **** world championship. But everytime a course comes up that Contador could win on, he doesn't bother and all of you get really upset with me for suggesting he's making the wrong decision.

Monuments to some extent too.
Because he clearly is not good enough(different skills) to win WC.
Maybe WC in Boyaca, but I doubt.
lol.

Some people are so far behind in a race, they actually believe they are winning.
:confused: I agree with ILoveCycling, Alberto could win a WC but his chances are very small, he needs a better sprint, then he would have a decent chance on hilly courses like WC 2012-2013-2014
:eek:
Races on challenging parcours go to sprints when the riders are more or less even. or if they are raced conservatively.

If someone races it hard it becomes a hard race. Liege Bastogne Liege is these days a glorified sprint. Yet in another year, on the same parcors, Andy Schleck won it, solo, by attacking 30k out.

The olympic road race in 2012 was supposed to be a sprint with Cav as the favourite. In a dry run the year before it had been a bunch sprint. Who contested the win? 2 gt riders. Why? Because it was made hard.

if Verbier Contador turns up to the Firenze worlds and attacks a few times on Fiesole, he crosses the line before the rest of the peloton have even finished climbing.

Its not even like there aren't examples of Contador doing this. When he attacked on Col de Manse on what is hardly the worlds hardest climb, he in a minute reduced the entire peloton to a field of 3 and took a minute on all but 2 of his rivals (was going to attack again). Fuente de was an even easier parcors and he won that and destroyed Murito and Froome.
Just look at Wednsday and the way he reduced a field of 20 to a field of 4 with 1 attack.

Contador goes on form to the worlds with a very strong Spanish team, attacks at points in the race,there is no sprint at the end I guarantee you that. What you get instead is a crawl mighty fight between the strongest riders and no one else.

Who is going to win that. The strongest riders. And peak Contador is stronger than anyone else. He came top 10 in Lombardia once and top 10 in Liege and both times he wasn't his strongest. Not built for 1 day races? please. Murito and Andy Schleck are far less well built and talented for them and both have won monuments.

What happens if a peak Contador tries 1 day races? I see nothing but good things.
NO!
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
I thought the initial discussion was about WC Hitch?I've never mentioned he can win a classic, I just said his win in WC is almost impossible with which you dont agree.I understand why (u dont agree), but I dont agree with your arguments.He cant win GC unless Boyaca happens (and there he must be in form of the season), as he is not racing classics thus he is not suited for one day WC in opposite to Murito,Valverde and Evans(I guess you meant him) because they've got lot more experience with it.
And your argument with racing hard...I think I already answered you in the other post (on which you haven't reacted yet)
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
I'm sure you're all pleased to learn that the omniscient gambling markets have restored Contador as the favourite, together with Richie, at about 40% chance to win the Giro. That's still not the 60% before the fall, but if he can withstand attacks from Aru and Porte tomorrow, he'll probably reclaim his throne as the significantly most likely rider to the win the Giro.
 
Re: Re:

Big Doopie said:
LaFlorecita said:
He doesn't focus on classics because he doesn't want to. End of story.
Because there is no second rest day in a classic.

LOL
lol that was a good one.

LaFlorecita said:
Big Doopie said:
LaFlorecita said:
He doesn't focus on classics because he doesn't want to. End of story.
Because there is no second rest day in a classic.

LOL
Alberto is not impressed

:D
To be fair, its the exact same argument Ilovecycling made to me earlier ;)
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
0
0
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:
ILovecycling said:
The Hitch said:
Also if Contador's legacy is so important, why do all of you go full Jihad on me everytime I criticize Contador for not bothering with the WC, or monuments?

Cos you know what would actually be way more valuable to Contador's legacy than "another gt". A **** world championship. But everytime a course comes up that Contador could win on, he doesn't bother and all of you get really upset with me for suggesting he's making the wrong decision.

Monuments to some extent too.
Because he clearly is not good enough(different skills) to win WC.
Maybe WC in Boyaca, but I doubt.
lol.

Some people are so far behind in a race, they actually believe they are winning.
:confused: I agree with ILoveCycling, Alberto could win a WC but his chances are very small, he needs a better sprint, then he would have a decent chance on hilly courses like WC 2012-2013-2014
:eek:
Races on challenging parcours go to sprints when the riders are more or less even. or if they are raced conservatively.

If someone races it hard it becomes a hard race. Liege Bastogne Liege is these days a glorified sprint. Yet in another year, on the same parcors, Andy Schleck won it, solo, by attacking 30k out.

The olympic road race in 2012 was supposed to be a sprint with Cav as the favourite. In a dry run the year before it had been a bunch sprint. Who contested the win? 2 gt riders. Why? Because it was made hard.

if Verbier Contador turns up to the Firenze worlds and attacks a few times on Fiesole, he crosses the line before the rest of the peloton have even finished climbing.

Its not even like there aren't examples of Contador doing this. When he attacked on Col de Manse on what is hardly the worlds hardest climb, he in a minute reduced the entire peloton to a field of 3 and took a minute on all but 2 of his rivals (was going to attack again). Fuente de was an even easier parcors and he won that and destroyed Murito and Froome.
Just look at Wednsday and the way he reduced a field of 20 to a field of 4 with 1 attack.

Contador goes on form to the worlds with a very strong Spanish team, attacks at points in the race,there is no sprint at the end I guarantee you that. What you get instead is a crawl mighty fight between the strongest riders and no one else.

Who is going to win that. The strongest riders. And peak Contador is stronger than anyone else. He came top 10 in Lombardia once and top 10 in Liege and both times he wasn't his strongest. Not built for 1 day races? please. Murito and Andy Schleck are far less well built and talented for them and both have won monuments.

What happens if a peak Contador tries 1 day races? I see nothing but good things.
YES! Ofc...
 
Aug 4, 2011
3,647
0
0
Re: Re:

Big Doopie said:
hfer07 said:
He looked quite well, considering his injury- perhaps the gravity of it was exaggerated
No sh!t sherlock.

Like the "broken leg"...

Anything to accentuate the "myth".

When actually the only fact we know about him is that he is a proven compulsive liar.
What a great post :rolleyes: . Do you actually have evidence "real evidence" that he his a compulsive liar.
http://addiction.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Compulsive_Lying_Disorder

Do you know him personally? or do you make your assumptions based on your own prejudice and internet eyeballing.
I mean that great big scar on his knee totally proves that he was lying about his leg after the tour ;)
I mean it's a crime to change your mind is it?

The man has hurt his shoulder quite bad and has not claimed to be at deaths door, He has just said that he will race if he can and see how it goes.
I hope he his shoulder his better tomorrow and he can kick some as$.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
They won't drop him tomorrow.

I think he's completely fine, and this stage was one the worst that could happen to him. Because riding so long with a bad shoulder will burden you eventually (he said it himself but he could have been lying of course)
 
Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
What a great post :rolleyes: . Do you actually have evidence "real evidence" that he his a compulsive liar.
http://addiction.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Compulsive_Lying_Disorder

Do you know him personally? or do you make your assumptions based on your own prejudice and internet eyeballing.
I mean that great big scar on his knee totally proves that he was lying about his leg after the tour ;)
I mean it's a crime to change your mind is it?

The man has hurt his shoulder quite bad and has not claimed to be at deaths door, He has just said that he will race if he can and see how it goes.
I hope he his shoulder his better tomorrow and he can kick some as$.
Well said, ray.
 
Re:

Miburo said:
They won't drop him tomorrow.

I think he's completely fine, and this stage was one the worst that could happen to him. Because riding so long with a bad shoulder will burden you eventually (he said it himself but he could have been lying of course)
Hmm I think he might lost some time, 20-30 seconds at most though. If more, his shoulder is really screwed up.
 
Mar 28, 2014
507
0
0
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
They won't drop him tomorrow.

I think he's completely fine, and this stage was one the worst that could happen to him. Because riding so long with a bad shoulder will burden you eventually (he said it himself but he could have been lying of course)
Hmm I think he might lost some time, 20-30 seconds at most though. If more, his shoulder is really screwed up.
Looking today, i think it's realistic and in my opinion , 20-30s lost are like a stage victory
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
BigMac said:
LaFlorecita said:
BigMac said:
Antics to try and shut up people? Why am I not surprised.

Also, it would be wonderful if you could stop taking up bandwidth with irrelevant pictures, thanks.
I'm sure those pictures make a massive difference :D
:D :D :D

NOT.... :eek:
Nobody is forcing you to check this thread. It is very easy to avoid. Just don't click on it.
Don't insufflate, I don't come here for your posts. It just so happens your 'contributions' are inbetween the comments that interest me.
 
Dislocated shoulder from two days ago will have zero, and I do mean ZERO effect on his result tommorow. Maybe just a slight pain, but with adrenaline of the race you just forget about it. It doesnt limit his movement (as seen by today's stage), his stamina, his legs, it has no effect whatsoever. Stop coming up with excuses before there even is a need for them.

Just look up my posts from yesterday. Told all of you right away that it is nothing, and today's stage only proves it
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts