• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1025 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

WheelofGear said:
Maybe Contador could even win the TT if he doesn't feel to much discomfort with his arms and hans.

lol, and lol again.

maybe he should have said he dislocated his shoulder 5 times and popped it in, then maybe, just maybe you would have realized it's all a lie.

just ask yourself this: does the ITT come after the second rest day. that will answer your question as to how well he does.

lol. you can lead a horse to water...

DBotero said:
2aigbjp.jpg

Porte and Contador looking ok,Aru not so good.

Basing your opinion on these photos is just plain silly.
1 second later they all have an different facial expression....

@Flo
I am. I don't think Porte will do super-duper. Contador will depend on his shoulder. If it was tomorrow, I'd expect Porte to beat Contador. In a week I think Contador will beat Porte.

As it is now Cataldo is the rider most likely to take pink from Alberto, but I think Contador will continue his trend and not lose it at any point.

Seriously...

So much conspiracies going on. Ofcourse Contador broke his leg last year. Sure his leg wasn't broken in two else he couldn't ride the Vuelta, but their was a fissure and that certainly didn't help him.
This Giro he had a shoulder dislocation. This can be very painful, but 1 dislocation isn't the same as the other (no talking about his 2 dislocations now). Apparently his certainly hurts, but it isn't a really bad one else I'd doubt he would be able to race at all.

Contador is a professional cyclist and as you all know cyclists are damn tough guys. Specially when it's about enduring pain. I think there ain't much sports where the athlete has such a high pain tolerance (fight sports probably). So they can endure quite something. For example Hamilton riding on with a broken collarbone etc.
No doubt Contador has pain and maybe today it was allready a lot better then yesterday, but it's likely the pain he had yesterday and today is more then I could deal with. I can't deal with that much pain tbh ;D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
DBotero said:
LaFlorecita said:
DBotero said:
2aigbjp.jpg

Porte and Contador looking ok,Aru not so good.
lol they all look similarly good/bad to me

Ok,maybe i'm just seeing things :)
I agree with you, not from the photo, but I have a feeling Aru won't be as dangerous as Porte (ok I dont think he won't be terrific either).In fact I think Porte might has something in the sleeve but Aru seems to be frustrated with these attacks, he doesnt have legs to drop AC, Im almost sure with that now.

Yea,there is always the recovery thing and 3rd week performance, but there AC should be stronger.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

mrhender said:
This shoulder thing may end up being a good thing for him when it comes to the double attempt...

Makes sure he takes it a little more easy and restrain his energies...
This is an interesting point, actually I said the exact opposite 2 days ago but I changed my mind. :D Probably because I want to believe the better outcome :eek: .We will see...like I said before the Giro, Im not worried about the Giro but Im worried about June.(also wondering if he really rides Sud)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
WheelofGear said:
Anybody who has the gradients for the TT? Porte is still favorite for the time trial, but his TT-abilities (in particular prologues) seem to have become significally worse since he become a better climber (mountain TT's aside).

Maybe Contador could even win the TT if he doesn't feel to much discomfort with his arms and hans.
No way Contador wins that TT, it's way too flat and way too long for him. But I doubt he'll lose much. 1 minute max to Uran and 30 seconds max to Porte. I would not be surprised if he beats Porte.
tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_14.jpg

Alberto says he barely has to go out of the saddle, the hills are that flat ( :eek: )
Didn't he even say that he barely had to go out of his TT position at all on these climbs?

Re:

Kwibus said:
Seriously...

So much conspiracies going on. Ofcourse Contador broke his leg last year. Sure his leg wasn't broken in two else he couldn't ride the Vuelta, but their was a fissure and that certainly didn't help him.
This Giro he had a shoulder dislocation. This can be very painful, but 1 dislocation isn't the same as the other (no talking about his 2 dislocations now). Apparently his certainly hurts, but it isn't a really bad one else I'd doubt he would be able to race at all.

Contador is a professional cyclist and as you all know cyclists are damn tough guys. Specially when it's about enduring pain. I think there ain't much sports where the athlete has such a high pain tolerance (fight sports probably). So they can endure quite something. For example Hamilton riding on with a broken collarbone etc.
No doubt Contador has pain and maybe today it was allready a lot better then yesterday, but it's likely the pain he had yesterday and today is more then I could deal with. I can't deal with that much pain tbh ;D
A sensible post, thanks Kwibus ;)

Mayomaniac said:
LaFlorecita said:
WheelofGear said:
Anybody who has the gradients for the TT? Porte is still favorite for the time trial, but his TT-abilities (in particular prologues) seem to have become significally worse since he become a better climber (mountain TT's aside).

No way Contador wins that TT, it's way too flat and way too long for him. But I doubt he'll lose much. 1 minute max to Uran and 30 seconds max to Porte. I would not be surprised if he beats Porte.
tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_14.jpg

Alberto says he barely has to go out of the saddle, the hills are that flat ( :eek: )
Didn't he even say that he barely has to go out of his TT position at all on these climbs.
Yeah, that's what I meant ;)

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm really wondering when did this Route du Sud talk start, because there's not any statement from Alberto himself, he never even mentioned this race.

A few days before the Giro, he said what he would do between giro-tour and that was barely spend like 3 days in Spain, maybe celebrating a bit if he wins then he would go back to Italy and isolate himself at altitude until the Tour.
That's all he said.

Riding Route du sud would be a really bad idea, it's not a proper training especially after Giro, he wouldn't need more race days. And he would expose himself to stupid crashes again in peloton or you never know with his bad luck recently.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

WheelofGear said:
ILovecycling said:
How I see ITT results

Uran winning
Porte 1'
Alberto 1'10''
Cataldo 1'20''
Konig 1'50''
Fabio 1'55''

I think it depends a lot on how steep the gradients are. Aru could surprise if there just is added a few 5k, 5% hills.

If they are 3% for 3k, it wouldn't matter much.

5 kms at 5% will not make up for the time lost in the approximately 45 kms of flat roads. This Time trial will be extremely important, there are gonna be big differences. The gaps some of you suggested would be on a 30 km hilly Vuelta TT. This is very long.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

WheelofGear said:
ILovecycling said:
How I see ITT results

Uran winning
Porte 1'
Alberto 1'10''
Cataldo 1'20''
Konig 1'50''
Fabio 1'55''

I think it depends a lot on how steep the gradients are. Aru could surprise if there just are a few 5k, 5% hills.

There are few kickers but none of them last more than 2k.Still his new TT form is unknown, I am calculating that he will be a lot stronger than last year.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
WheelofGear said:
ILovecycling said:
How I see ITT results

Uran winning
Porte 1'
Alberto 1'10''
Cataldo 1'20''
Konig 1'50''
Fabio 1'55''

I think it depends a lot on how steep the gradients are. Aru could surprise if there just is added a few 5k, 5% hills.

5 kms at 5% will not make up for the time lost in the approximately 45 kms of flat roads. This Time trial will be extremely important, there are gonna be big differences. The gaps some of you suggested would be on a 30 km hilly Vuelta TT. This is very long.
You do think that Uran will make more than 2 minutes on them?

TRENDING THREADS