• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1030 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Taxus4a said:
I dont like anything the way Tinkoff understand cycling.

He thinks managing a cycling team is no different than his beer business, but cyclists aren't bottles of beer and you can't turn out results the way you can production. Performance on the road isn't like production in the factory, and doesn't follow the logic of executive graphs and spread sheets.

His language is all wrong and so is his mentality. Not that a pro team shouldn't set high standards and lofty objectives, but there is a human dimension that defies everything Tinkoff stands for and represents within the business paradigm and the way he sees life.

His arrogance knows no bounds, while he believes he is as qualified to establish policy and strategy as those who really are. This is a dangerous combination.

Re: Re:

rhubroma said:
Taxus4a said:
I dont like anything the way Tinkoff understand cycling.

He thinks managing a cycling team is no different than his beer business, but cyclists aren't bottles of beer and you can turn out results the way you can production. Performance on the road isn't like production in the factory, and doesn't follow the logic of executive graphs and spread sheets.

His language is all wrong and so is his mentality. Not that a pro team shouldn't set high standards and lofty objectives, but there is a human dimension that defies everything Tinkoff stands for and represents within the business paradigm and the way he sees life.

His arrogance knows no bounds, while he believes he is as qualified to establish policy and strategy as those who really are. This is a dangerous combination.

+1

He is a blight on cycling.

Thank goodness Tinkov is off the Giro for a week, the boys can have a bit of peace.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
All Tinkov is saying here is that he agrees with the cn forum members that Tour only is no good. Plus he's making a few obviously true assertions about wages an contracts.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
One thing I've been wondering is this: Do you guys expect Contador to take Porte's soul in the third week, ie to drop him for good at a MTF? I'm not talking about sprinting away in the last km for 11 seconds like at the Vuelta last year, but bringing down the hammer, like Froome has done on his rivals on multiple occasions.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Dont see the problems in what Tinkov are saying. I also have the opinion that riders contracs should be more performance based, which should motivate them more.

Example: Sagan have 4,5 mio euro salary and some bonusses. Why not make it 3 mio basis salary, and 500.000 euro for momentum win, and 250.000 euro for podium in momentum. 25-50.000 euro for stage wins (depending on the race).

Could make the same example for Contador.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
One thing I've been wondering is this: Do you guys expect Contador to take Porte's soul in the third week, ie to drop him for good at a MTF? I'm not talking about sprinting away in the last km for 11 seconds like at the Vuelta last year, but bringing down the hammer, like Froome has done on his rivals on multiple occasions.

I think that Contador should only to distance Porte one or two times. With the final MTF's it may be hard enough. But if/when he gets pink (dont know who will have it after the ITT), all I think he should do is following him and sprint away and get 15-20 seconds every time he can like he did with Froome at the Vuelta.

He really dont need to put on a show.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
All Tinkov is saying here is that he agrees with the cn forum members that Tour only is no good. Plus he's making a few obviously true assertions about wages an contracts.

Of course you was the chosen one to completely miss the overall picture as is your routine. He speaks about wages and contracts using a disappointment with Sagan after said rider just won ToC. Nothing beats the encouragement hey?

We could always discuss contracts and wages but thats not the point here.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

rm7 said:
SeriousSam said:

I think that Contador should only to distance Porte one or two times. With the final MTF's it may be hard enough. But if/when he gets pink (dont know who will have it after the ITT), all I think he should do is following him and sprint away and get 15-20 seconds every time he can like he did with Froome at the Vuelta.

He really dont need to put on a show.
I agree with this, but I don't think he'll have pink after the TT, so it would make sense to go all out on at least one MTF to take it, and then follow wheels. And the question is, when he does go all out with his current level (or the level he has in the 3rd week), will it result in Porte's complete and utter destruction or not. I'm getting annoyed with Porte The Undroppable. :p

Re:

SeriousSam said:

As a businessman then, since this seems to be his greatest qualification, he really shouldn't whine about contracts, nor should the investment risks involved at all be surprising.

In every other sport an athlete, for good or for bad, has a "market value" based not on future, but recent performances and status. This is the leverage upon which a contract shall be determined, though once the contract is signed what happens next won't change the terms of agreement.

No athlete would sign a contract with a bad performance clause amounting to a cut in wages, at least I've never heard of it.

Tinkoff wants to have his cake and eat it too, but unfortunately for him in the business of pro sport contracts that's not the way it works. It, therefore, seems pathetic that Mr. Executive doesn't like the rules of the same market through which he has prospered and which has given him an "entrance" into cycling when they don't suit him. Then get out. Go to less risky investments.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

No_Balls said:
SeriousSam said:

Of course you was the chosen one to completely miss the overall picture as is your routine. He speaks about wages and contracts using a disappointment with Sagan after said rider just won ToC. Nothing beats the encouragement hey?
Are you saying Tinkov isn't a nice grandfatherly figure? Probably, but then neither are the other bosses even if they aren't quite as frank about it. People here seem to have a very romantic view of the sport.

One would hope that Sagan doesn't need the soothing and gentle words of the team owner to be encouraged to win races. The huge contract, the prestige and the ability to earn another huge contract is probably all the encouragement he needs.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:

Like this you mean

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=Last+10+Km+of+Stage+3&dashboard=vuelta-a-andalucia-ruta-ciclista-del-sol&id=arDWUzDwh8I&start=3&yr=2015

SeriousSam said:
No_Balls said:
SeriousSam said:

Are you saying Tinkov isn't a nice grandfatherly figure? Probably, but then neither are the other bosses even if they aren't quite as frank about it. People here seem to have a very romantic view of the sport.

I dont imagine the other bosses being philantropists demanding nothing, but at least they have the decency to be somewhat internal about their opinions. Public sniping like this looks exactly what it is.

One would hope that Sagan doesn't need the soothing and gentle words of the team owner to be encouraged to win races. The huge contract, the prestige and the ability to earn another huge contract is probably all the encouragement he needs.

He doesnt need either soothing words nor public sniping after stepping up to Olegs first critique. You seem pretty clueless about good management?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

ray j willings said:
SeriousSam said:

Like this you mean

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=Last+10+Km+of+Stage+3&dashboard=vuelta-a-andalucia-ruta-ciclista-del-sol&id=arDWUzDwh8I&start=3&yr=2015

Not quite, I was thinking of an attack that really blows Porte to pieces. Keeping with the Ruta del Sol, more like this
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/cyclingtv/?title=Stage+4+Final+Km+Recap&dashboard=vuelta-a-andalucia-ruta-ciclista-del-sol&id=3382&yr=2015
if the attack had occurred earlier, the gap would have been huge. That sort of thing.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
ray j willings said:
SeriousSam said:

Like this you mean

Not quite, I was thinking of an attack that really blows Porte to pieces. Keeping with the Ruta del Sol, more like this
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/cyclingtv/?title=Stage+4+Final+Km+Recap&dashboard=vuelta-a-andalucia-ruta-ciclista-del-sol&id=3382&yr=2015
if the attack had occurred earlier, the gap would have been huge. That sort of thing.
Do not troll us my friend :D :p

As for you initial question...I think he will drop him once, for like 20-30 seconds gap.Or thats just the way I think he should do, this is not a year for Etna, Double is in his mind.
Of course this happens barring Porte doesnt crack like he always do in a GT, then I see a minutes gap.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Alberto sprinting :eek: :D

328-9c516406-afc6-4bf2-8b3a-f580f82e23c9.jpg

Serious Sam , the.King of Trolls ( when he 's speaking about Contador). I'm always ask why you continue to write in this thread. You dont't like Berto , maybe you "hate" him.
Why persist? Why don't you go in Porte or Froome or Aru or Nibali thread?!

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Serious Sam still thinks, thanks to his out of nowhere "datas" that Froome was "probably" - somewhat - somehow - in a way of thinking - stronger than Contador in the Vuelta 14'. Poor guy and poor trolling. But indeed, Alberto only out sprinted Froome on farrapona and ancares lmfao. He was toying with him, could've ended him earlier but no point.

Froome tried attacking serveral times and AC responded easily to all his attemps and had still something left in the tank. He was stronger at equal form, deal with it.
But yeah, to answer the question, I'am sure Contador will be able to "put the hammer down" and drop Porte's ass like he did with Froome at Ruta del sol, Vuelta 14', Dauphiné twice (Montagny + emausson), Vuelta 12' (oh froome was 10 minutes off, doesn't even count :eek: )

TRENDING THREADS