• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1068 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

contador977 said:
Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
Wallace said:
That's a huge tactical advantage for Contador, and one he didn't have yesterday.

For the amount of times over the years that Contador has been in a position of needing to make key tactical decisions on the road - much more often than other riders who aren't at the sharp end of the GC stick nearly as much - his strike rate in achieving a positive outcome is remarkably good. Yes, he's had a few blunders that are easy to pick apart with 20/20 hindsight, but on the road in the moment his instincts and effectiveness with tactics have done really well for him in his career. Recall the infamous dig from Armstrong in 2009 about Contador still having a lot to learn, but the tale of time has shown that both in the remainder of that 2009 TdF, and many other GTs and stage races, that Contador is a far superior tactician to Armstrong, whose hubris concerning his own tactical IQ was largely fueled by the physical superiority of his entire team, a benefit which Contador has often not had.

Armstrong was trying hard to manipulate Contador...the crosswinds jab,the attempt to use superior TT wheels which Contador requested also but was denied and in the end sent his brother out to get them in France and used the same ones as Armstrong in the TT. Its pretty admirable that Contador stood up to that whole scenario and attacked with fire on Verbier.

My favorite part of that tour was when he dropped Kloeden. At the time it seemed like a mistake but knowing what we know now I am certain he meant to. Just to teach a lesson to someone not loyal to him.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

My favorite part of that tour was when he dropped Kloeden. At the time it seemed like a mistake but knowing what we know now I am certain he meant to. Just to teach a lesson to someone not loyal to him.

I don't think so, he would never do that on purpose, Klöden was a good friend and sacrificed himself to help him win Giro and Vuelta 2008.

Japanese fans :)
CGLTP8WWIAEj2Ex.jpg

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Lame....... Berto
Why do you hate the Tour so much? It's the greatest race.

Great tactical ride from Contador. Hope he lets Aru or Landa win tomorrow as well, even giving up further time to conserve as much energy as possible.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah he wasn't pushed at all today, easily closed the small gaps that opened. Tomorrow he's good enough and should be pretty fresh so if he wants to win the stage, he will. If he rides easy, well it just makes the Tour a little bit easier.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Ah Contador you're so bad!!!

How dare you to save energy for the tour???

The fans need a win!!!

2 months later "he lost the tour cause he went way too hard in the giro, stupid berto..."

Re:

Miburo said:

The fans need a win!!!

2 months later "he lost the tour cause he went way too hard in the giro, stupid berto..."
Come on... 1 attack won't cost him the win at the Tour :rolleyes: ... it's just frustrating to see him follow wheels while he's obviously feeling really good.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Smart riding by AC. Looks like Landa isn't the only one who's doing a sunday ride, except he got something to show off... look mom, pink jersey!

Aru is saved from loosing his podium. Astana would get 2 and 3. And for consolation of not getting pink they will win tomorrow's stage with Landa. Overall, today's stage is snooze fest. But what do you expect? movistar is busy fighting for mountain jersey. Amador is never been a climber. Truvimof only looks good when other has puncture :). Konig? never mind. he is consistent for sure, but consistently out of top 5. Ryder is the only one who shows strength, but he gave up too much time earlier. Otherwise he deserves to sit top 5 or fight for podium.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
It's not necessarily about saving energy,he wanted to stick it to Landa. He will do exactly the same thing tomorrow. He will mark Landa.

Alberto clearly wants to win a stage but even more so he refuses to drag Landa once again. So he will let Aru/whoever go again tomorrow if Landa sits back.

May 13, 2015
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:

The fans need a win!!!

Come on... 1 attack won't cost him the win at the Tour :rolleyes: ... it's just frustrating to see him follow wheels while he's obviously feeling really good.

Only reason is bad blood between him and Landa. I'm sure Contador really wanted to attack, he is obviously stronger than Aru and would have easily dropped him. But even more he doesn't want Landa to win another stage. He is not going to chase repeated Astana attacks so that Landa can counterattack him.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:

The fans need a win!!!

There's no way he could have won the stage without going full out.

Landa was never gonna let him go so he had to ride away from him and astana had 2 guys. And at the end it flattened.

Unless he was by far the strongest today, no way he could have won this.

Smart riding from Contador. He's got his eye on the prize (winning Giro) and thinking the long game (winning the Tour). If he accomplishes the double without a stage win in either race, I'm sure we all we severely discount his accomplishment accordingly :p

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Publicus said:
Smart riding from Contador. He's got his eye on the prize (winning Giro) and thinking the long game (winning the Tour). If he accomplishes the double without a stage win in either race, I'm sure we all we severely discount his accomplishment accordingly :p

Like I said above I don't think that is the main reason he rode the way he did today. I don't believe it anything to do with the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS