• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1070 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hey guys I saw this cool pic a while ago but it was quite dark and low quality (was a bettini picture with a watermark on it so the low quality was because it was a preview) I found a higher quality pic today and adjusted the brightness and contrast a bit. Hope (some of) you like it :) I think it looks really cool with the pink jersey and pink roses

21dh845.jpg

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
One big attack from him tomorrow would be ideal. I think that would get rid off at least Aru.

If he is playing the waiting game, he is risking that Landa and Aru will play cat and mouse with him.
Agree with this. Best possible tactic is to have at least one TS guy in any break that forms, and be there just in case, but then have Contador attack to drop Aru. If he just tries to sit on, they will keep doing little digs until one of them can get separation. And if that happens on Finestre, it could be a problem with so far to go. Attacking is not only good for the fans, it's good for him.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:
Miburo said:
Ah Contador you're so bad!!!

How dare you to save energy for the tour???

The fans need a win!!!

2 months later "he lost the tour cause he went way too hard in the giro, stupid berto..."

:D well said.
i thought getting the pink is considered "a win"... or i guess i'm must be living in different planet then.. coz' stage win is consider a important win as opposed of getting the pink :D .
Are you stupid? :eek:
No one is saying he should win a stage instead of the pink jersey. The fans just want to see him go for the stage win for once in this **** race instead of him just following wheels.

What race are you watching LaFlo? When is the last time you saw a GT rider with a lead of 4+ minutes attack 40+km out and drop the entire peloton and go alone? Yikes Woman cut the man a break!

So he followed wheels today, get over it :D It is the Smart thing to do right now.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:
Miburo said:

The fans need a win!!!

2 months later "he lost the tour cause he went way too hard in the giro, stupid berto..."

i thought getting the pink is considered "a win"... or i guess i'm must be living in different planet then.. coz' stage win is consider a important win as opposed of getting the pink :D .
No one is saying he should win a stage instead of the pink jersey. The fans just want to see him go for the stage win for once in this **** race instead of him just following wheels.

What race are you watching LaFlo? When is the last time you saw a GT rider with a lead of 4+ minutes attack 40+km out and drop the entire peloton and go alone? Yikes Woman cut the man a break!

So he followed wheels today, get over it :D It is the Smart thing to do right now.
But stage win would be nice :) .With measured effort of course, one strong attack on Landa ;-)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Hey guys I saw this cool pic a while ago but it was quite dark and low quality (was a bettini picture with a watermark on it so the low quality was because it was a preview) I found a higher quality pic today and adjusted the brightness and contrast a bit. Hope (some of) you like it :) I think it looks really cool with the pink jersey and pink roses

21dh845.jpg
very nice :) ...will be my new twitter background, if I can handle the tech :D

Jelantik said:
LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:
Miburo said:

The fans need a win!!!

ouch.. that's harsh :rolleyes: No need for name calling LaFlo. I'm always respected to you

Edit: see the post above me about contador comment of the stage win. he is looking 4 opportunity.

Indeed, totally Uncalled for LaFlo. Jelantik has never been anything but a gentleman, and there is absolutely no reason to speak to him like that.

Just because Alberto rides his own race instead of the one You want him to doesn't warrant treating other people shabbily.

peloton said:
BlurryVII said:
Brought a tear to my eye.
Today, in Lugano.

https://instagram.com/p/3NAJYhIG3z/

Good times :)

5mz3ti.png

Hopefully there won't be no crashes, bonks or bad legs tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Couldn't care less if he wins a stage or not, if he has pink in Milan!

I'm with you. I just want him to finish tomorrow comfortably. He has nothing at all to prove. Let the lesser mortals get into a flurry about stage wins and the like, because at this point, it is just a cherry on the top.

I agree I'll feel a whole lot better knowing that there are some Tinkoff guys up front.

I confess I find it amusing that he has clearly got into Landa's head. I guess he didn't enjoy having Alberto lurking on his wheel all the while watching his second place tick away. Must be irritating. Be interesting to see what they do tomorrow - I guess it depends how Aru is feeling and whether he struggles a bit more from today and from the bigger climbs.

Surely though Astana must feel some of their efforts today - they pretty much pulled the whole way. Or am I living in fairy land…?

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Jspear said:
With the Tour in mind...ya none of this really matters.
A short 15 minute effort to win a stage will not ruin his chances for the Tour... it's completely irrelevant when compared to the weight of an entire Grand Tour.
And if he does not win the Tour? He will end the season with a Giro win in which he could not even beat a very mediocre field uphill... that leaves a very bad taste for him and for the fans.
If he does not win a stage everyone will say Landa and even Hesjedal were better climbers.

I disagree. The best display of climbing in this Giro was Contador on the Mortirolo.

I think he will attack tomorrow on the Finestre and win the stage.

contador977 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Jspear said:
With the Tour in mind...ya none of this really matters.
A short 15 minute effort to win a stage will not ruin his chances for the Tour... it's completely irrelevant when compared to the weight of an entire Grand Tour.
And if he does not win the Tour? He will end the season with a Giro win in which he could not even beat a very mediocre field uphill... that leaves a very bad taste for him and for the fans.
If he does not win a stage everyone will say Landa and even Hesjedal were better climbers.

I disagree. The best display of climbing in this Giro was Contador on the Mortirolo.

I think he will attack tomorrow on the Finestre and win the stage.

I must say, that what he did on Mortirolo totally removes any *necessity* for a stage win, IMO.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
My goodness :eek:

I just watched the stage, and Contador absolutely destroyed Landa psychologically, letting everyone go but him. And never chasing saying "hey mate, if you wanna stay on the podium, YOU gotta chase these guys".
Everytime AC was looking at him when someone attacked, "Just go ahead", holy ***.

Landa attacked hard twice and Contador looked so smooth on his wheel, and people say Landa is the best climber, are you really kidding :eek: Yeah, when Contador is focused on Aru or starts a climb a minute behind, sure. But today, he just ruined him mentally on equal ground.

Which explains why Landa was pissed at the end of the stage, losing his 2nd place and saying "Contador wants to create war between Aru & me, if he's upset it's worse for him" hahah, already losing his nerves.

BlurryVII said:
My goodness :eek:

I just watched the stage, and Contador absolutely destroyed Landa psychologically, letting everyone go but him. And never chasing saying "hey mate, if you wanna stay on the podium, YOU gotta chase these guys".
Everytime AC was looking at him when someone attacked, "Just go ahead", holy ****.

Landa attacked hard twice and Contador looked so smooth on his wheel, and people say Landa is the best climber, are you really kidding :eek: Yeah, when Contador is focused on Aru or starts a climb a minute behind, sure. But today, he just ruined him mentally on equal ground.

Which explains why Landa was pissed at the end of the stage, losing his 2nd place and saying "Contador wants to create war between Aru & me, if he's upset it's worse for him" hahah, already losing his nerves.

And Contador heaping praise on Aru, saying he was the strongest…bet that stung if Landa is feeling frustrated. Contador is excellent at not saying anything outright, smiling and being diplomatic and yet making his point.

LOL he has Landa tied up in knots :). Whichever one he chooses to follow the other cannot hurt him for 4+ minutes without an incident. So let them have their minor awards.

40 year from now people will remember 3 things about this race. 1) Alberto Contador won in a landslide. 2) He was left behind while in the Pink Jersey by a mechanical, the strongest team went to the front and tried to destroy him. He rode the Mortirolo like the champion he is and caught them before the top. That ride will be Remembered! 3) He attacked and dropped the entire peloton while holding a 4+ minute lead from over 40km gaining over a minute on all his rivals.

Everything else will be just footnotes in cycling history folks.

Some here may not like LeMond much, but let me tell you he was one extremely talented bike rider. If he hadn't been shot his palmares would have ranked right up there with the very, very best. It's darned impressive as it stands!

His take on the double:
“If anybody can do the double, he can. He’s got so much experience. He’s an impressive rider and is arguably the most consistent Grand Tour rider, probably ever. We’d have to go back to Merckx’s reign to make a comparison and he doesn’t seem to be fading yet.

“I think he can do the Giro-Tour double. Having the energy for it is more psychological than anything, so he’ll be good. I think in 10 days time he’ll have recovered and be fine. It’s about maintaining that hunger. I felt I was physically able to do another Tour de France five days later, racing gets you in good shape. Peaking is mainly psychological.”

Go Alberto!!!

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:
LOL he has Landa tied up in knots :). Whichever one he chooses to follow the other cannot hurt him for 4+ minutes without an incident. So let them have their minor awards.

40 year from now people will remember 3 things about this race. 1) Alberto Contador won in a landslide. 2) He was left behind while in the Pink Jersey by a mechanical, the strongest team went to the front and tried to destroy him. He rode the Mortirolo like the champion he is and caught them before the top. That ride will be Remembered! 3) He attacked and dropped the entire peloton while holding a 4+ minute lead from over 40km gaining over a minute on all his rivals.

And his incredible TT will be remembered I think :) Like I said, one of the best of his career

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Electress said:
I must say, that what he did on Mortirolo totally removes any *necessity* for a stage win, IMO.

Carols said:

+1 to both of these posts. Well said. When you're doing the double and making history, stage wins are small potatoes.

BlurryVII said:
Carols said:

And his incredible TT will be remembered I think :) Like I said, one of the best of his career

Maybe...TTs aren't usually recalled decades on unless you're talking about Monsieur Chrono or Indurain.

BlurryVII said:
Carols said:

Sureeeee... because people often remember the podium place on a single stage in Giro :D
Or chasing 40 seconds back on a climb 40km away from a finish after getting a puncture (and getting dropped on next climb by 40 seconds). But no worries, go live your fantasies, I am not going to try and crash this party

Carols said:
Some here may not like LeMond much, but let me tell you he was one extremely talented bike rider. If he hadn't been shot his palmares would have ranked right up there with the very, very best. It's darned impressive as it stands!

His take on the double:
“If anybody can do the double, he can. He’s got so much experience. He’s an impressive rider and is arguably the most consistent Grand Tour rider, probably ever. We’d have to go back to Merckx’s reign to make a comparison and he doesn’t seem to be fading yet.

“I think he can do the Giro-Tour double. Having the energy for it is more psychological than anything, so he’ll be good. I think in 10 days time he’ll have recovered and be fine. It’s about maintaining that hunger. I felt I was physically able to do another Tour de France five days later, racing gets you in good shape. Peaking is mainly psychological.”

Go Alberto!!!

Contador's mental strength is extraordinary. If I were racing him, I think that more than anything would intimidate me. IF the TdF turns out to be between more or less equals physically, it's got to work in his favour, because he's great tactically, and I think probably best able to exploit others battles to his advantage.

I honestly don't think 'maintaining that hunger' is going to be an issue at all...

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

damian13ster said:
BlurryVII said:
Carols said:

Sureeeee... because people often remember the podium place on a single stage in Giro :D
Or chasing 40 seconds back on a climb 40km away from a finish after getting a puncture (and getting dropped on next climb by 40 seconds). But no worries, go live your fantasies, I am not going to try and crash this party

Oh my days, TT will not be remembered as a "3rd place" but as the day Contador conquered the Giro by crushing his direct rivals.
The gap was close to a minute before mortirolo, I think 55 seconds, not 40.

And he got dropped by who? Hopeless wheelsucker Landa who didn't do anything that stage? Right :eek:
Look at him now, lmao.

But keep posting, it's funny AC is just winning his 9th GT, your insignificant posts are not crashing the party, don't worry :rolleyes:

Electress said:
Carols said:

His take on the double:

Go Alberto!!!

Contador's mental strength is extraordinary. If I were racing him, I think that more than anything would intimidate me. IF the TdF turns out to be between more or less equals physically, it's got to work in his favour, because he's great tactically, and I think probably best able to exploit others battles to his advantage.

I honestly don't think 'maintaining that hunger' is going to be an issue at all...

I think you are correct on all counts. Plus the Hunger will be strong. :)

He could use some Luck this time around though. And a decent team would be a real benefit also!

BlurryVII said:
damian13ster said:
BlurryVII said:
Carols said:

Oh my days, TT will not be remembered as a "3rd place" but as the day Contador conquered the Giro by crushing his direct rivals.
The gap was close to a minute before mortirolo, I think 55 seconds, not 40.

And he got dropped by who? Hopeless wheelsucker Landa who didn't do anything that stage? Right :eek:
Look at him now, lmao.

But keep posting, it's funny AC is just winning his 9th GT, your insignificant posts are not crashing the party, don't worry :rolleyes:

Just ignore the trolls, it not worth the time to even read them, much less respond to their ignorance....

TRENDING THREADS