Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1071 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Come on now, you can't be serious though. Nobody is going to remember a single stage from this Giro couple of years down the road and you know that. TT wasn't unreal. Kiryienka won it ffs. Its just that Astana leaders are not strong TTers. Mortirolo isn't legendary. Everybody remembers Pantani, but it was because it was last climb, his rivals were one of the best (and not opponents who aren;t the best even in their team) and he dropped them instead of getting dropped hard on false-flat by one of those riders who is 3rd in rank even in his own team. Nobody remembers people catching up after puncturing and getting dropped later.
Everyone will just remember who won the Giro. And that's it. Seriously, those claims from last page are just outright delusional from people who clearly lost touch with reality
 
May 8, 2015
128
0
0
Re:

damian13ster said:
Come on now, you can't be serious though. Nobody is going to remember a single stage from this Giro couple of years down the road and you know that. TT wasn't unreal. Kiryienka won it ffs. Its just that Astana leaders are not strong TTers. Mortirolo isn't legendary. Everybody remembers Pantani, but it was because it was last climb, his rivals were one of the best (and not opponents who aren;t the best even in their team) and he dropped them instead of getting dropped hard on false-flat by one of those riders who is 3rd in rank even in his own team. Nobody remembers people catching up after puncturing and getting dropped later.
Everyone will just remember who won the Giro. And that's it. Seriously, those claims from last page are just outright delusional from people who clearly lost touch with reality

Pretty sure you just spilled your handbag on the interwebs. I hate that feel bro.
 
Re:

damian13ster said:
Come on now, you can't be serious though. Nobody is going to remember a single stage from this Giro couple of years down the road and you know that. TT wasn't unreal. Kiryienka won it ffs. Its just that Astana leaders are not strong TTers. Mortirolo isn't legendary. Everybody remembers Pantani, but it was because it was last climb, his rivals were one of the best (and not opponents who aren;t the best even in their team) and he dropped them instead of getting dropped hard on false-flat by one of those riders who is 3rd in rank even in his own team. Nobody remembers people catching up after puncturing and getting dropped later.
Everyone will just remember who won the Giro. And that's it. Seriously, those claims from last page are just outright delusional from people who clearly lost touch with reality
You sure about that?
 
Re:

Carols said:
40 year from now people will remember 3 things about this race. 1) Alberto Contador won in a landslide. 2) He was left behind while in the Pink Jersey by a mechanical, the strongest team went to the front and tried to destroy him. He rode the Mortirolo like the champion he is and caught them before the top. That ride will be Remembered! 3) He attacked and dropped the entire peloton while holding a 4+ minute lead from over 40km gaining over a minute on all his rivals.
Spot on and to suggest these things won't be remembered in years to come defies belief.
 
Re:

damian13ster said:
Come on now, you can't be serious though. Nobody is going to remember a single stage from this Giro couple of years down the road and you know that. TT wasn't unreal. Kiryienka won it ffs. Its just that Astana leaders are not strong TTers. Mortirolo isn't legendary. Everybody remembers Pantani, but it was because it was last climb, his rivals were one of the best (and not opponents who aren;t the best even in their team) and he dropped them instead of getting dropped hard on false-flat by one of those riders who is 3rd in rank even in his own team. Nobody remembers people catching up after puncturing and getting dropped later.
Everyone will just remember who won the Giro. And that's it. Seriously, those claims from last page are just outright delusional from people who clearly lost touch with reality
Well, some of the same people heaping praise on Contador here in a Giro that was tough but that (by all standards) had a fairly weak field, are the same that downplayed and sometimes even belittled Nibali's victory last year in the Tour (in which he won 4 stages). They have a real hard time looking at matters objectively, I'd say. Perhaps surprisingly, La Florecita is one of the few who can put things into perspective.

My take is that, if Contador manages to do the double, people will still remember that in 40 years time. Not this giro.
 
Carols said:
Some here may not like LeMond much, but let me tell you he was one extremely talented bike rider. If he hadn't been shot his palmares would have ranked right up there with the very, very best. It's darned impressive as it stands!

Kind of a hypocrite, isn't he?

Hate Lance and praise the likes of Contador and Pantani? :confused: He should know better.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
What's hypocritical about that? You might want to consider characteristics on which Lance differs from Contador and Pantani to make sense of it. Maybe you'll have a light bulb moment!
 
Re: Re:

Carols said:
Indeed, totally Uncalled for LaFlo. Jelantik has never been anything but a gentleman, and there is absolutely no reason to speak to him like that.

Just because Alberto rides his own race instead of the one You want him to doesn't warrant treating other people shabbily.
Oh don't mind me :rolleyes: , it's just annoyance built up over the past several months finally coming out. :rolleyes:
 
Re:

SeriousSam said:
What's hypocritical about that? You might want to consider characteristics on which Lance differs from Contador and Pantani to make sense of it. Maybe you'll have a light bulb moment!
I am well aware that Lance was/is an real douchbag. Still, without dragging this into the clinic, Lance, Pantani and Contador are all the same in the sense that they are destroying the sport. Good guy, bad guy the effect is still the same on young riders trying to realize their dreams. I don't see how they are worth any praise from a guy who takes so much pride in being clean. It's really weird. Makes me wonder how trustworthy Lemond really is, or alternatively how strong characteristic he really has.
 
Re: Re:

A dozen few people could hardly "ruin" a sport that had been "ruined" for decades.

And thats were Lemond comes into the picture. His outspokeness is always strategical with the interests of cycling first. Outspokeness against Lance had nothing to do with his "enhancements" but that he reached a point were he was well and truly harming the sport. Contador back in 2009 was not the undisputed patron of the field why he also was more critical of him. Now, Lemond realises Alberto is good for the sport and praises him accordingly.

He has a corporate mind on cycling. True, a hard pill to swallow for the moralist but them again cycling is not for everybody.
 
Re: Re:

No_Balls said:
He has a corporate mind on cycling. True, a hard pill to swallow for the moralist but them again cycling is not for everybody.
"Cycling is not for everybody", "moralist"?

Geez man, are you serious? Are you really accepting the culture in the sport?
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
Re: Re:

Walkman said:
SeriousSam said:
What's hypocritical about that? You might want to consider characteristics on which Lance differs from Contador and Pantani to make sense of it. Maybe you'll have a light bulb moment!
I am well aware that Lance was/is an real douchbag. Still, without dragging this into the clinic, Lance, Pantani and Contador are all the same in the sense that they are destroying the sport. Good guy, bad guy the effect is still the same on young riders trying to realize their dreams. I don't see how they are worth any praise from a guy who takes so much pride in being clean. It's really weird. Makes me wonder how trustworthy Lemond really is, or alternatively how strong characteristic he really has.
If we took your position seriously, not to praise people that are like Lance, Contador, Pantani in terms of that which cannot be talked about, then we can praise no one with any confidence. Certainly no winner.
 
Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
Walkman said:
SeriousSam said:
What's hypocritical about that? You might want to consider characteristics on which Lance differs from Contador and Pantani to make sense of it. Maybe you'll have a light bulb moment!
I am well aware that Lance was/is an real douchbag. Still, without dragging this into the clinic, Lance, Pantani and Contador are all the same in the sense that they are destroying the sport. Good guy, bad guy the effect is still the same on young riders trying to realize their dreams. I don't see how they are worth any praise from a guy who takes so much pride in being clean. It's really weird. Makes me wonder how trustworthy Lemond really is, or alternatively how strong characteristic he really has.
If we took your position seriously, not to praise people that are like Lance, Contador, Pantani in terms of that which cannot be talked about, then we can praise no one with any confidence. Certainly no winner.
While I agree that we can not praise many riders with certainty, I think it's safe to say there are riders we can praise without being a hypocrite. Since, in fact, we all know those three all has one thing in common, don't we?
 
May 29, 2015
699
0
0
BlurryVII said:
My goodness :eek:

I just watched the stage, and Contador absolutely destroyed Landa psychologically, letting everyone go but him. And never chasing saying "hey mate, if you wanna stay on the podium, YOU gotta chase these guys".
Everytime AC was looking at him when someone attacked, "Just go ahead", holy ****.

Landa attacked hard twice and Contador looked so smooth on his wheel, and people say Landa is the best climber, are you really kidding :eek: Yeah, when Contador is focused on Aru or starts a climb a minute behind, sure. But today, he just ruined him mentally on equal ground.

Which explains why Landa was pissed at the end of the stage, losing his 2nd place and saying "Contador wants to create war between Aru & me, if he's upset it's worse for him" hahah, already losing his nerves.
lol, it's amazing how Contador fanboys see what they want to see.

Apparently now when Landa and Contador ride the same time up a mountain it's definitive proof that Contador is the better climber.
 
Aug 4, 2011
3,647
0
0
Andro said:
BlurryVII said:
My goodness :eek:

I just watched the stage, and Contador absolutely destroyed Landa psychologically, letting everyone go but him. And never chasing saying "hey mate, if you wanna stay on the podium, YOU gotta chase these guys".
Everytime AC was looking at him when someone attacked, "Just go ahead", holy ****.

Landa attacked hard twice and Contador looked so smooth on his wheel, and people say Landa is the best climber, are you really kidding :eek: Yeah, when Contador is focused on Aru or starts a climb a minute behind, sure. But today, he just ruined him mentally on equal ground.

Which explains why Landa was pissed at the end of the stage, losing his 2nd place and saying "Contador wants to create war between Aru & me, if he's upset it's worse for him" hahah, already losing his nerves.
lol, it's amazing how Contador fanboys see what they want to see.

Apparently now when Landa and Contador ride the same time up a mountain it's definitive proof that Contador is the better climber.
Bertie bashing again. Bertie a multiple GT winner who has defeated the very best thrown his way.
Bertie has nothing to prove. He his one of the greatest climbers ever with results to back that up.
Here is a true racer who is not scared to lose. A racer who lights up any race he his in. A rider who has the balls to go for the double knowing he will be up against his strongest rivals who were to scared to attempt the double. To scared to put the reputations on the line. Bertie is a true racer.
Your post is nothing but foolish baiting which you can get banned for a week for by the way :D
 
Re: Re:

Jagartrott said:
damian13ster said:
Come on now, you can't be serious though. Nobody is going to remember a single stage from this Giro couple of years down the road and you know that. TT wasn't unreal. Kiryienka won it ffs. Its just that Astana leaders are not strong TTers. Mortirolo isn't legendary. Everybody remembers Pantani, but it was because it was last climb, his rivals were one of the best (and not opponents who aren;t the best even in their team) and he dropped them instead of getting dropped hard on false-flat by one of those riders who is 3rd in rank even in his own team. Nobody remembers people catching up after puncturing and getting dropped later.
Everyone will just remember who won the Giro. And that's it. Seriously, those claims from last page are just outright delusional from people who clearly lost touch with reality
Well, some of the same people heaping praise on Contador here in a Giro that was tough but that (by all standards) had a fairly weak field, are the same that downplayed and sometimes even belittled Nibali's victory last year in the Tour (in which he won 4 stages). They have a real hard time looking at matters objectively, I'd say. Perhaps surprisingly, La Florecita is one of the few who can put things into perspective.

My take is that, if Contador manages to do the double, people will still remember that in 40 years time. Not this giro.
Well you better leave me out of that because I've never said a bad word against Nibali and praised all his efforts. Heck he's even in my sig.

Only people over 50 get to predict what will be remembered 40 years on :).
 
ray j willings said:
Andro said:
BlurryVII said:
My goodness :eek:

I just watched the stage, and Contador absolutely destroyed Landa psychologically, letting everyone go but him. And never chasing saying "hey mate, if you wanna stay on the podium, YOU gotta chase these guys".
Everytime AC was looking at him when someone attacked, "Just go ahead", holy ****.

Landa attacked hard twice and Contador looked so smooth on his wheel, and people say Landa is the best climber, are you really kidding :eek: Yeah, when Contador is focused on Aru or starts a climb a minute behind, sure. But today, he just ruined him mentally on equal ground.

Which explains why Landa was pissed at the end of the stage, losing his 2nd place and saying "Contador wants to create war between Aru & me, if he's upset it's worse for him" hahah, already losing his nerves.
lol, it's amazing how Contador fanboys see what they want to see.

Apparently now when Landa and Contador ride the same time up a mountain it's definitive proof that Contador is the better climber.
Bertie bashing again. Bertie a multiple GT winner who has defeated the very best thrown his way.
Bertie has nothing to prove. He his one of the greatest climbers ever with results to back that up.
Here is a true racer who is not scared to lose. A racer who lights up any race he his in. A rider who has the balls to go for the double knowing he will be up against his strongest rivals who were to scared to attempt the double. To scared to put the reputations on the line. Bertie is a true racer.
Your post is nothing but foolish baiting which you can get banned for a week for by the way :D
Exactly who are you talking about?
 
May 29, 2015
699
0
0
Ehh, what are you talking about? Nobody is saying Landa has been a greater rider over the couse of his career than Contador has in his career. Some people are simply saying there's no proof that Contador is a better climber right now, unless you count Contador riding at 100 % on Mortirolo catching up to a Landa riding at 90 % while waiting for Aru as definitive proof. Both yesterday and on Ologno they were equal. Not to mention Contador being unable to follow Landa on Aprica after they both had wheelsucked Kruijswijk for 30 km.

But I guess in this thread the general consensus is that Contador has been the greatest and strongest rider in every aspect of riding in single race he has ever ridden, and questioning that in any way is "bertie bashing". :) I'll leave the thread and let you continue the circle jerk. :)
 
Re:

Andro said:
Ehh, what are you talking about? Nobody is saying Landa has been a greater rider over the couse of his career than Contador has in his career. Some people are simply saying there's no proof that Contador is a better climber right now, unless you count Contador riding at 100 % on Mortirolo catching up to a Landa riding at 90 % while waiting for Aru as definitive proof. Both yesterday and on Ologno they were equal. Not to mention Contador being unable to follow Landa on Aprica after they both had wheelsucked Kruijswijk for 30 km.

But I guess in this thread the general consensus is that Contador has been the greatest and strongest rider in every aspect of riding in single race he has ever ridden, and questioning that in any way is "bertie bashing". :) I'll leave the thread and let you continue the circle jerk. :)
Bye then......
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Re:

damian13ster said:
Come on now, you can't be serious though. Nobody is going to remember a single stage from this Giro couple of years down the road and you know that. TT wasn't unreal. Kiryienka won it ffs. Its just that Astana leaders are not strong TTers. Mortirolo isn't legendary. Everybody remembers Pantani, but it was because it was last climb, his rivals were one of the best (and not opponents who aren;t the best even in their team) and he dropped them instead of getting dropped hard on false-flat by one of those riders who is 3rd in rank even in his own team. Nobody remembers people catching up after puncturing and getting dropped later.
Everyone will just remember who won the Giro. And that's it. Seriously, those claims from last page are just outright delusional from people who clearly lost touch with reality
You are hillarious :D ...of course people will remember Mortirolo, as they remember Peyresourde (and others) and that was 8 years ago, did he win a stage? No. ;)
 
Re: Re:

damian13ster said:
BlurryVII said:
Carols said:
LOL he has Landa tied up in knots :). Whichever one he chooses to follow the other cannot hurt him for 4+ minutes without an incident. So let them have their minor awards.

40 year from now people will remember 3 things about this race. 1) Alberto Contador won in a landslide. 2) He was left behind while in the Pink Jersey by a mechanical, the strongest team went to the front and tried to destroy him. He rode the Mortirolo like the champion he is and caught them before the top. That ride will be Remembered! 3) He attacked and dropped the entire peloton while holding a 4+ minute lead from over 40km gaining over a minute on all his rivals.

Everything else will be just footnotes in cycling history folks.
And his incredible TT will be remembered I think :) Like I said, one of the best of his career

Sureeeee... because people often remember the podium place on a single stage in Giro :D
Or chasing 40 seconds back on a climb 40km away from a finish after getting a puncture (and getting dropped on next climb by 40 seconds). But no worries, go live your fantasies, I am not going to try and crash this party
I can only apologize to newcomers bots inability to grasp simple logic.

1. People doesnt remember this special (by-bots-introduced) asterisk "the field Pantani climbed against" (like everyone Mercxk stomped to the ground was worldbeaters). People remembers two things from that climb of Pantani: 1) The feat and ride in itself. 2) It was Pantani who did it. No one doesnt care who or what they were up against. Besides, Alberto is already a proven champ so it only adds to his list of features. As this will remembered.

On more thing. The stage has already been dubbed "epic" so i guess everything you guys can do now is damage control for the image of Skys knights around the great table in a abandon motor campervan.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS