• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1073 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, today is close call. All this talk about how big deal of winning a stage almost back fired today. His team controlled earlier in the stage just to leave him isolated in the middle of the climb. Just when he was in crisis no teammate was around and not even his team car. Today is at least or maybe a consolation prize for not getting any stage win. He rode very smart to limit his loss. He has to fend off 3 freakin' astana. Thanks to Astana.. whatever they were thinking (I guess they're happy w/ 2/3 and many stages win) and let Contador to catch up. Well, objective one is DONE and DUSTED. *barring any mishap tomorrow*. Next objective.

Lesson to learn from the Giro? with this kind of team for TDF? he isn't going to have 4+ ahead of Froome, Quintana and Nibal. And if his team keep getting drop everytime when the road tilt, it will be long road to Paris.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

lenric said:
Good win by Contador, but still weaker than Landa. Landa's the best climber. Contador's the best all-rounder. Period.

Yup. Agreed. Landa is the strongest climber in the race. No doubt. But contador's form is enough to win the Giro, not stellar, but enough.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Contador won, but, similar to 2012, it's not clear he would have won had the strongest climber been allowed to race from the beginnig.

I wonder why he cracked today, and hope it's nothing that jeopardises his Tour form.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Ramira said:
LaFlorecita said:
Something must be wrong... a hunger bonk, or he is ill

It's clearly not a full bonk, considering he's not lost any time since the descent started (he's actually gained some), he might have had a small energy issue, which he was able to resolve by eating a bit (see Froome 2013).

Edit: The only problem is that Contador is far to clever and experienced to forget to eat, still it's the most likely explanation.

after 2 mountains he did a long range attack or catch up must take the toll on him. And he has been fending the rest of Astana team by himself every mountain stage. He is bound to be tired don't you think?

Jelantik said:
Ramira said:
LaFlorecita said:
Something must be wrong... a hunger bonk, or he is ill

It's clearly not a full bonk, considering he's not lost any time since the descent started (he's actually gained some), he might have had a small energy issue, which he was able to resolve by eating a bit (see Froome 2013).

Edit: The only problem is that Contador is far to clever and experienced to forget to eat, still it's the most likely explanation.

after 2 mountains he did a long range attack or catch up must take the toll on him. And he has been fending the rest of Astana team by himself every mountain stage. He is bound to be tired don't you think?

That could be the case, but in that case he's overexerted him in the past, without need really.

Not to mention it would be a horrendous sign for the Tour, since it would mean he's exhausted right now, no way he'll be on peak form in the Tour if that's the case.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Won the giro, job done.

He has not much pressure for the tour now, i hope it's true that he didn't peak for this race 100% though lol

Contador btw had bad days before. Tour 2010/2011, he had one. Also in the vuelta 2012 he had a bad day.

Happens, he got over it, that's what counts.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site

Jelantik said:
lenric said:
Good win by Contador, but still weaker than Landa. Landa's the best climber. Contador's the best all-rounder. Period.

Yup. Agreed. Landa is the strongest climber in the race. No doubt. But contador's form is enough to win the Giro, not stellar, but enough.

No need to respond to this, but I am sorry, grand tours are supposed to be hard, do think when Anquetil won his tours( I know I am going back) everyone was saying " but he wasn't the best climber". Jeez, Merckx, Hainault also lost in the Mountains at some point, but still won the grand tours they were participating during that time. You do forget, Contadors team was not the best in the mountains, he crashed, separated shoulders, got attacked while wearing Maglia Rosa. Lemond did say it best, a lesser mortal would have gone home.
Wow, he has a bad day, but he still won by over 2 minutes, 2 minutes.! In the past, for the most part, he did not win his tours by being solely the best climber. I have riding and watching for over 35 years, and this guy is the real deal, but I am just one person. Be happy, celebrate this guy while he is still riding.
Sorry for the rant.

Re:

BigMac said:
Anyone still want to make a case saying how useful Paulinho is?

I guess he's only following the general Tinkoff trend, though.

Or Basso. And worst of all, both of them have contracts in 2016. I'd change half of the team.

At least Kreuziger might be banned. They need to buy a better super-domestique.