• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1128 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Basso did a great job all the Giro, but Saxo tried to control all the Giro with a team in front even stronger, and that has a prize.
But i saw Basso at the front lot of times, although he was working usually out of cameras. Contador as well said Basso was who tell him all the important things about the race.

Contador would be happy if Basso can repeat the same help

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
qwer said:
http://nos.nl/tour/artikel/2044624-tourfavoriet-contador-aangekomen-in-utrecht.html
his arms are much thinner than in the giro

I really can't see that and I'm always amazed how you people can see the difference between 1-2kg more or less.

It's called "you see what your mind wants you to see".

He looks really slim though :p

He is looking fighting weight indeed! Good ole watermelons! I really do hope this Sagan stuff doesn't muck about with the team, because they seem to have worked pretty well together before now. I guess it will be hard for Sagan to swallow - especially with some big names not there - he's got to want to be there for some stage wins…but he knew what he was signing up for.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Electress said:
He is looking fighting weight indeed! Good ole watermelons! I really do hope this Sagan stuff doesn't muck about with the team, because they seem to have worked pretty well together before now. I guess it will be hard for Sagan to swallow - especially with some big names not there - he's got to want to be there for some stage wins…but he knew what he was signing up for.

Correct. He knew what he signed up for, or did he? Blinded by the Euro sign one can dismiss a lot as no big deal until it becomes a big deal.

Miburo said:
Kwibus said:
qwer said:
http://nos.nl/tour/artikel/2044624-tourfavoriet-contador-aangekomen-in-utrecht.html
his arms are much thinner than in the giro

I really can't see that and I'm always amazed how you people can see the difference between 1-2kg more or less.

It's called "you see what your mind wants you to see".

He looks really slim though :p

My thoughts exactly!

jilbiker said:
Electress said:

Correct. He knew what he signed up for, or did he? Blinded by the Euro sign one can dismiss a lot as no big deal until it becomes a big deal.

And false promises as well probably.

When he signed Tinkof was all like: "Contador will win yellow and Sagan will win green. I don't see a reason why we can't do that! bla bla brag we are the best etc"

Now it's Sagan can try to get green, but he must help Contador first.
Which is what I expected would happen though.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I still don't understand why they picked Basso after he had such a poor Giro. He hardly helped at all (other than lending Alberto a wheel) and he was a passenger in the TTT as well. It's especially hard to understand because Kieserlovski was specifically signed because of his good results in Grand Tours in recent years. Plus he just rode a very decent Dauphine. Yet they don't take Kieserlovski to the Giro or the Tour....and under performing, over the hill Basso gets to go to both!!

Re:

Besides all that gold and glitter Sagan must have realised when he signed that his ambitions would be to play a second fiddle in the Tour. That is a given. Now, De Jongh could hardly have been any clearer on that point with his pre-Tour comments.

Sure, things might spice up and the narrative will probably circle around this when the reality is that it will be Olegs habit of following them around is the more likely reason for everything to turn sour.

Having said that i really want to have his hair coloured yellow in three weeks from now.

Re:

buchanan said:
I still don't understand why they picked Basso after he had such a poor Giro. He hardly helped at all (other than lending Alberto a wheel) and he was a passenger in the TTT as well. It's especially hard to understand because Kieserlovski was specifically signed because of his good results in Grand Tours in recent years. Plus he just rode a very decent Dauphine. Yet they don't take Kieserlovski to the Giro or the Tour....and under performing, over the hill Basso gets to go to both!!

Yes, but what about the vaguely significant notion that Basso is riding the double tens years after he first attempted it ;)

Re:

buchanan said:

Do you think they want him to get a top 3-5 in the Veulta?

So they can say 1st Giro, 1st or podium Tour and Podium Vuelta?

Apr 26, 2010
be.net

Scarponi said:
buchanan said:

Do you think they want him to get a top 3-5 in the Veulta?

So they can say 1st Giro, 1st or podium Tour and Podium Vuelta?

Not just podium, Basso can even win La Vuelta.
:D

Re:

buchanan said:

Well here's the question: do you take Kreuziger or Kieserlovski? You have to remember everyone thought Roman was going to be on an unplanned two-year vacation by this point of the season. He's available and so now the team can decide to take another lightweight climber (Kiserlovski) or a diesel for the flats and medium mountains (Basso). Couple that with the fact that Basso and Contador seem to get on well (and Basso is a definite upgrade on Hernandez), then I think it is fairly obvious (at this point) why they chose Basso. At least that's why I'm not exercised by the decision.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
CI5ZTYbWcAA2Fsy.jpg:large

His arm look really thin, and i've heard rumors saying he's better than in the giro.

Re:

buchanan said:

See all the Giro again, maybe you didnt see all the Giro.

TRENDING THREADS